Can we please stop talking about "flat shooting" cartridges

Brush Gun? What the heck is a brush gun exactly? This term or definition always had me vexed.

I've heard many people describe what they believe a brush gun is. In their definition it's a short barreled (16-20") lightweight rifle that is best suited for use in thick brush. Some others have also added that they need to be able to shoot "through brush" and as such are in the mid-bore to big bore category. Another stipulation sometimes added is it's a lever action.

Whatever specifications are made for a brush gun, there is no way to accurately determine a bullets path when shooting through brush...regardless of caliber. A lever action, short barreled, mid-bore with a laminate stock be a handy rifle, but I'd never call it a brush gun. And as it pertains to this thread... that combination would not likely be considered a "flat shooting" rifle.

Apologies for the hijack. I now return you to your regularly scheduled dose of AH.

Just need the 500 Jeffery chambered in a BLR. Be able to do both carry in the thick stuff and shoot through small trees too :)

Just need the 500 Jeffery chambered in a BLR. Be able to do both carry in the thick stuff and shoot through small trees too :)
The 500 Jeffrey is too long for a BLR action. BUT, one could do a .458WM or .416 Taylor in the BLR?

I just wanted to clarify that this procedure is strictly voluntary on the part of the He-Hive participant. Think of it as an "intervention"?
Bet they don't go out in public. Who would let their child or partner be even like that.. there bound to be one trend they all get on.

The 500 Jeffrey is too long for a BLR action. BUT, one could do a .458WM or .416 Taylor in the BLR?
No, I recently saw a reference to the .458wm "Ole Clumpy" now that won't do because it won't reach 2150fps muzzle velocity when you have a large boar at your feet in the lignum swamp.

Russ might chime in to remind me it's not 1956 but the stigma stuck sorry mate. I just can't forget reading "Ole Clumpy" knowing exactly what they were talking about.

Bet they don't go out in public. Who would let their child or partner be even like that.. there bound to be one trend they all get on.
They wouldn't have to go out in public. This intervention could also be an "in home" service like having your carpets cleaned or physical therapy? The participant would have a video made of the procedure, so they could review it at a later date to remind them of their previous He-Hive cartridge life? LOL. You guys here are absolutely killing me with this stuff!!!! Ha! Ha! Ha!

They wouldn't have to go out in public. This intervention could also be an "in home" service like having your carpets cleaned or physical therapy? The participant would have a video made of the procedure, so they could review it at a later date to remind them of their previous He-Hive cartridge life? LOL. You guys here are absolutely killing me with this stuff!!!! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Seriously though, this is one image I would really like to Un-See. Like erase it from my memory

This came across my news feed.

Coincidentally I have been known to say Google are spying on us. My google suggestions often seem to come from something I mentioned elsewhere.
That guy is smoking crack if he thinks a 6.5CM will get 7k rounds out of a barrel. Shortest I have gotten was 1957 the most was right at 2500. Now I'm talking about a barrel that was shooting sub .25 moa to over 1 moa.

But you could take a BLR in 358 Win and rechamber it to 35 Whelen. I believe the BLR was made in 30-06.
Browning factory chambered the BLR in .35 Whelen.

But you could take a BLR in 358 Win and rechamber it to 35 Whelen. I believe the BLR was made in 30-06.

Rebarreling a BLR isn't trivial, nor is rechambering it, particularly if it is the alloy receiver.

Well, for a crossing full value wind. If you using a three quarter or half value wind, you have to adjust accordingly. Ultimately, it is a field version of windage, but still requires practice and solid wind estimation. ie 90 degree crossing wind is full value, 45 degree angle is 3/4 value, and 30 degrees is a half value wind. Any futher out, and you'll want to change from the ballistics calculator to determining your real values with measured wind (ie your real wind values vs estimated).

Definately a good technique, if that was lost in translation.
@akrifleman
You lost me after Well, for a crossing. Beyond my brain power.
Bob

@akrifleman
You lost me after Well, for a crossing. Beyond my brain power.
Bob
Simple mate. If the 10 mph wind is directly crossing, then it's 100 percent full value. At 45 degrees, the 3/4 effective value is 7.5 mph, and at 30 degrees it's a 5 mph wind. Or you could say, if the wind is from 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock... full value. But if that wind is getting to 10:30, 1:30 4:30, or 7:30 it's a 3/4. If that thing is more front or back, probably a 1/2 value wind. Directly 12 or 6 winds are a special hell.

Brush Gun? What the heck is a brush gun exactly? This term or definition always had me vexed.

I've heard many people describe what they believe a brush gun is. In their definition it's a short barreled (16-20") lightweight rifle that is best suited for use in thick brush. Some others have also added that they need to be able to shoot "through brush" and as such are in the mid-bore to big bore category. Another stipulation sometimes added is it's a lever action.

Whatever specifications are made for a brush gun, there is no way to accurately determine a bullets path when shooting through brush...regardless of caliber. A lever action, short barreled, mid-bore with a laminate stock be a handy rifle, but I'd never call it a brush gun. And as it pertains to this thread... that combination would not likely be considered a "flat shooting" rifle.

Apologies for the hijack. I now return you to your regularly scheduled dose of AH.

Mate.. a brush gun is that SOB that points in Alaskan Alders, African reeds or brush, or Southern trees. Sometimes it's means a shorter barrel, but it always means that bitch gets on point NOW.

Last edited:
@CBH Australia and @CoElkHunter
I could see you 2 with a he hive along with @BeeMaa and @Forrest Halley. The four of you with he have would be a real sight.
Chris you are trying to unsee it I'm smiling and chuckling my head off at the vision.
Bob
There is a fine line between funny and silly.
I'm still trying to Unsee this. Seeing you with a He Hive would be funny, but still something I would want to Unsee , after I call you silly.

I would happily sit around the campfire drinking and telling lies with you and our Yankie freinds, just leave your He Hive and Toupee at home.

Just bring the Whelen so we can see what it does before we crack a can.

If a 6.5 CM owner has a HE Hive, or man bun hair do, what do 243 owners have, a crew cut? or mullet?
@rdog
Delusional thought that make them think the 243 is an actual hunting cartridge. A good psychiatrist can prescribe medication that helps these Delusional thoughts

There is a fine line between funny and silly.
I'm still trying to Unsee this. Seeing you with a He Hive would be funny, but still something I would want to Unsee , after I call you silly.

I would happily sit around the campfire drinking and telling lies with you and our Yankie freinds, just leave your He Hive and Toupee at home.

Just bring the Whelen so we can see what it does before we crack a can.
@CBH Australia
Chris you can use my Whelen any time you want mate. The problem is I may not get it back you will love it that much.
Me thinks our mates from over the pond we old have trouble understanding our sense of humour. We would have to have a plate of Vegemite sandwichs for them so we could have a good laugh watching them eat them then wash them down with Bundy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarshaBott

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.