Buffalo Question…

Hey Brickburn, a curiosity question, what evidence is there besides “worn Argo trails to the feeding areas” do you have about feeding Buffalo in the Zambezi delta? I would think it almost impossible to carry enough feed into the delta to keep herds of up to 250-1000 Buffalo in the same area. As far as animals standing around after one of their herd mates was shot I’ve seen whitetail deer, mule deer, pronghorn, Buffalo and even kudu not run after the shot and it seems pretty common for a Buffalo herd to come back especially after the death bellow has sounded.

Hey Brickburn, a curiosity question, what evidence is there besides “worn Argo trails to the feeding areas” do you have about feeding Buffalo in the Zambezi delta? I would think it almost impossible to carry enough feed into the delta to keep herds of up to 250-1000 Buffalo in the same area. As far as animals standing around after one of their herd mates was shot I’ve seen whitetail deer, mule deer, pronghorn, Buffalo and even kudu not run after the shot and it seems pretty common for a Buffalo herd to come back especially after the death bellow has sounded.
I think he meant the area the buffalo feed in, as in grazing the natural grasses in that area. Not hauling feed to them ;)

I suspect the worn Argo trails are from frequent trips taking hunters to that area.

It probably has more to do with the PH than the country. If you trust your PH to hunt in a good area, then it does not matter what country you are in. If your PH is not interested in having their clients hunt in a proper manner then I think you will get what you pay for. To say all of SA is domesticated herds has to be a gross conceit by those who have an ego in these things.

I can see that, when you get right down to it we are all hunting over bait in a bedding area or water hole, be it if the animal is going to it coming from it or laid up in it. That is still the reason for the animal to be in that location. Man made or not, I prefer not. But I do plant corn and rice in my backyard for waterfowl and deer without they would have absolutely no reason to be there.
As far as the Argo trails go the times I went into the swamps of the delta I was the first hunter of the season and the second of another so no time for the trails to be worn down.

When is the best time of year to hunt buffalo in Zimbabwe? I’ve seen conflicting guidance on wet/dry seasons, green vegetation on the trees is bad, wait until it dries out…and the opposite.

So, when is the best time of year to go?

I’ve hunted the Valley and the Save in August. Timing seemed perfect. Leaves are down, game is concentrated on water, tracking conditions are good, and the weather is outstanding.

When is the best time of year to hunt buffalo in Zimbabwe? I’ve seen conflicting guidance on wet/dry seasons, green vegetation on the trees is bad, wait until it dries out…and the opposite.

So, when is the best time of year to go?
My top choices would be September and October. October possibly being best, but hot. If you’re like me and really don’t like the heat, September.

My top choices would be September and October. October possibly being best, but hot. If you’re like me and really don’t like the heat, September.

My wife just reminded me that our Save hunt was actually early September.

I have hunted July - September in all my Zim hunts. This year it is in August.

This debate on which country is the best for buffalo is getting old.

1. Check references and online hunting reports with various Outfitters
2. Check if you would also hunt the same area/farm/concession that others have hunted. Outfitters move areas and you could have seen paradise but the outfitter doesnt hunt the area anymore.
3. Try and get as close as possible to your target animal for the pucker factor of hunting DG.
4. Get fit once your are on tracks don't give up untill out of area or dark or target animal is not what you were looking for.
5. I have been to many places and some areas buffalo without fences will stand and look at you even come closer. Then you could be in a wild unfenced area where the buff are targeted by lions/poachers and will be extremely wild.
6. Hunting the right time of the year is also important pick the best dates for an area don't juts fill in a slot that is open, do research.

After all its still hunting its not shopping you could hunt in Limpopo in March when no leaves have dropped and see black blurss of moving buffalo and not get a shot at any even if they are confined to 5000 acres.
Same could happen in ZIM, and other countries could still be very thick and larger areas to find the buffalo and maybe see a black blurr.

But buffalo is addcitive very few hunters ever say this is my one and only so have an open mind and change for buffalo number 2, 3 or whatever number you get at.

Morning All

Just my 2cents , use it don't use it! It has been said before but looks like not enough.

South Africa is a big diverse country when it comes to wildlife and wildlife areas.To put all outfitters , areas and hunting experience under one umbrella is frankly not the truth!

It basically comes down to people thinking the whole of the US looks like New York City because that's what they see on tv.

SA has done more than than any other country to protect wildlife and increase numbers of animals through breeding and protected areas.Our Rhino , Roan , Sable and other have been used to repopulate some of the areas in Africa where these animal numbers are dwindling or have totally disappear.

South Africa has some great hunting areas that will rival any in Africa with awesome outfitters that will give you a experience to remember.Not all hunts are equal , do your homework , speak to references.SA , Nam , Zim , Moz and Bots are all excellent hunting countries and each unique in its own way.

Happy hunting

I love the heat and dusty dry of the October time of year. The bush smells are stronger and there is smoke haze in the air. You sweat a lot, as one should on a hunt; the dust cakes on your legs and when you sip a cold beer it is like the finest caviar.

Morning All

Just my 2cents , use it don't use it! It has been said before but looks like not enough.

South Africa is a big diverse country when it comes to wildlife and wildlife areas.To put all outfitters , areas and hunting experience under one umbrella is frankly not the truth!

It basically comes down to people thinking the whole of the US looks like New York City because that's what they see on tv.

SA has done more than than any other country to protect wildlife and increase numbers of animals through breeding and protected areas.Our Rhino , Roan , Sable and other have been used to repopulate some of the areas in Africa where these animal numbers are dwindling or have totally disappear.

South Africa has some great hunting areas that will rival any in Africa with awesome outfitters that will give you a experience to remember.Not all hunts are equal , do your homework , speak to references.SA , Nam , Zim , Moz and Bots are all excellent hunting countries and each unique in its own way.

Happy hunting
The more I see of South Africa's hunting areas and offerings, the more impressed I am. I don't see the fenced areas as containment of wild animals so much as the exclusion of humans, goats and cattle.

The more I see of South Africa's hunting areas and offerings, the more impressed I am. I don't see the fenced areas as containment of wild animals so much as the exclusion of humans, goats and cattle.

Thank you for seeing what SA can be and with the help of this forum there is actually no reason for anybody not too find what they want.

So, when are you booking your buffalo hunt. I think there might be a 47"'er somewhere with your name on it. :A Stirring: :giggle:

July to October

Reactions: WAB
I hunted there recently. Have seen countless guinea fowl but hardly any buffalo. Didn‘t get one. At this stage I‘m unable to recommend Bubey Valley Conservancy. I gonna repeat the hunt in September, hopefully after that I‘ll be able to change my mind, but somehow I doubt it.
There are more than 4000 buffalo there..
Now and especially after the excessive heavy late rains is not the best time to hunt there for buffalo...
I was there about a month ago and saw 3 of the big 5 just driving in from the Bulawayo rd to the main office area. Quite a few groups of dagga bulls on the trip in and out...
With long tall grass and green bush not easy to hunt or even follow tracks...

Hunting is hunting..

Yes there are too many lions but they have been chowing mainly the bwb and not so many buffalo...
Book a lion hunt and help balance the populatiin.
Yep. I had a conversation with my Safari importer. One can import a lion from Zimbabwe IF the outfitter and area have well documented conservation history (e.g. anti-poaching patrols, surveys etc.). So, a lion from Zimbabwe is doable.

2023 is the year of the lion for me (in addition to some sort of an elephant of course), so I am vetting outfitters in Zambia and Zimbabwe. I might use CMS again for lion and a tuskless or Zambia for lion and buffalo/hippo.

On principle I only s
So, when are you booking your buffalo hunt. I think there might be a 47"'er somewhere with your name on it. :A Stirring:
On principle I only shoot sub 40's! White faced, tatty ears, old buggars. They limp when they charge you....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross