Buffalo caliber advice

PeteG

AH elite
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
1,787
Reaction score
3,392
Location
Zambia
Media
114
Articles
2
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
Professional Guides and Outfitters Association of Zambia
I am in need of a bit of advice, recent events have shown my ignorance or lack of full understanding concerning appropriate calibers and rifles for buff hunting.

I was determined and dead set on using my 416rigby with peregrine 400gr copper expanding and brass solids for buff this year in luangwa.
However...
I have just learnt that I know jack sh*t and require the resourceful knowledge of the AH community to guide me in the right direction.

So now that I have deemed the 416 excess to requirements in terms of caliber and stopping power, which of the following two options would you guys recommend and once your caliber recommendation is given, what bullet choice would you use?
If there is a reasonable option other than the 2 calibers I have available, let me know your thoughts. I have until the end of October when the hunt is scheduled so that gives me at least till the day before to acquire the rifle and ammo. No need to worry about testing, I can always sight it I once I get to the valley.

Options are
1) 243 Springfield improved
2) 30-06 weatherby magnum
 
Nice! :LOL:
 
:E Happy::E Happy::E Happy::E Happy::E Happy::E Happy::E Happy::E Happy::E Happy::E Happy:
 
Do you not have a crossbow?
 
Well seriously, if a .22 is a viable option on leopard, wouldn’t you just step up to a .22 magnum on buff? And if that is the case do I take my .458 Lott along just in Case we are short firewood and a jack handle?
 
Options are
1) 243 Springfield improved
2) 30-06 weatherby magnum


Depends on which one is scoped, suppressed and opposite handed.
 
I am in need of a bit of advice, recent events have shown my ignorance or lack of full understanding concerning appropriate calibers and rifles for buff hunting.

I was determined and dead set on using my 416rigby with peregrine 400gr copper expanding and brass solids for buff this year in luangwa.
However...
I have just learnt that I know jack sh*t and require the resourceful knowledge of the AH community to guide me in the right direction.

So now that I have deemed the 416 excess to requirements in terms of caliber and stopping power, which of the following two options would you guys recommend and once your caliber recommendation is given, what bullet choice would you use?
If there is a reasonable option other than the 2 calibers I have available, let me know your thoughts. I have until the end of October when the hunt is scheduled so that gives me at least till the day before to acquire the rifle and ammo. No need to worry about testing, I can always sight it I once I get to the valley.

Options are
1) 243 Springfield improved
2) 30-06 weatherby magnum

What do you need sights for?.....:E Head Scratch::E Hmmm:.....And you need to upgrade to the .243 Springfield Ackley whelen short ultra magnum with thick lead jacket bullets with Swiss dark chocolate cores...then Pete you will be sorted.....:E Ok:......:whistle:
 
Well seriously, if a .22 is a viable option on leopard, wouldn’t you just step up to a .22 magnum on buff? And if that is the case do I take my .458 Lott along just in Case we are short firewood and a jack handle?
I agree with you WAB
 
  • Like
Reactions: WAB
What do you need sights for?.....:E Head Scratch::E Hmmm:.....And you need to upgrade to the .243 Springfield Ackley whelen short ultra magnum with thick lead jacket bullets with Swiss dark chocolate cores...then Pete you will be sorted.....:E Ok:......:whistle:

Now how silly is that? You would use the old DGX if you had any balls!!!
 
I am in need of a bit of advice, recent events have shown my ignorance or lack of full understanding concerning appropriate calibers and rifles for buff hunting.

I was determined and dead set on using my 416rigby with peregrine 400gr copper expanding and brass solids for buff this year in luangwa.
However...
I have just learnt that I know jack sh*t and require the resourceful knowledge of the AH community to guide me in the right direction.

So now that I have deemed the 416 excess to requirements in terms of caliber and stopping power, which of the following two options would you guys recommend and once your caliber recommendation is given, what bullet choice would you use?
If there is a reasonable option other than the 2 calibers I have available, let me know your thoughts. I have until the end of October when the hunt is scheduled so that gives me at least till the day before to acquire the rifle and ammo. No need to worry about testing, I can always sight it I once I get to the valley.

Options are
1) 243 Springfield improved
2) 30-06 weatherby magnum

I would use the 243, but only if it is the 40 degree version, and only with triplex-loadings utilizing 2 grains of Bullseye, 10 grains of 2400 and 35 grains of IMR 4350.
 
I would use the 243, but only if it is the 40 degree version, and only with triplex-loadings utilizing 2 grains of Bullseye, 10 grains of 2400 and 35 grains of IMR 4350.

Finally someone with some sense!

Question is would you go light for caliber solids or heavy for caliber softs?
 
How about a well -placed frozen herring? Maybe a crossbow for a backup in case of emergency
 
The only issue I see is whether or not your will and life insurance is up to date:whistle:!
 
Finally someone with some sense!

Question is would you go light for caliber solids or heavy for caliber softs?

I think you know I am a heavy-for-caliber fellow...so I am going with the 105gr Speer. :)
 
Options are
1) 243 Springfield improved
2) 30-06 weatherby magnum

The 223 SWAM (Super Whoop Ass Magnum) will give you something flatter shooting than your first option and more knock down than your second option. The 223 SWAM is the perfect round for long range Buff!
 
The 223 SWAM (Super Whoop Ass Magnum) will give you something flatter shooting than your first option and more knock down than your second option. The 223 SWAM is the perfect round for long range Buff!

I’ve read those SWAM calibers don’t feed well for most, but for a few they’ve had no issues....I’m sure it’s fine.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,306
Messages
1,572,355
Members
169,530
Latest member
ShelbyKidd
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top