AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Professional Hunters Association of Zambia
I am in need of a bit of advice, recent events have shown my ignorance or lack of full understanding concerning appropriate calibers and rifles for buff hunting.

I was determined and dead set on using my 416rigby with peregrine 400gr copper expanding and brass solids for buff this year in luangwa.
However...
I have just learnt that I know jack sh*t and require the resourceful knowledge of the AH community to guide me in the right direction.

So now that I have deemed the 416 excess to requirements in terms of caliber and stopping power, which of the following two options would you guys recommend and once your caliber recommendation is given, what bullet choice would you use?
If there is a reasonable option other than the 2 calibers I have available, let me know your thoughts. I have until the end of October when the hunt is scheduled so that gives me at least till the day before to acquire the rifle and ammo. No need to worry about testing, I can always sight it I once I get to the valley.

Options are
1) 243 Springfield improved
2) 30-06 weatherby magnum

Nice! :LOL:

:E Happy::E Happy::E Happy::E Happy::E Happy::E Happy::E Happy::E Happy::E Happy::E Happy:

Do you not have a crossbow?

Well seriously, if a .22 is a viable option on leopard, wouldn’t you just step up to a .22 magnum on buff? And if that is the case do I take my .458 Lott along just in Case we are short firewood and a jack handle?

Options are

Depends on which one is scoped, suppressed and opposite handed.

I am in need of a bit of advice, recent events have shown my ignorance or lack of full understanding concerning appropriate calibers and rifles for buff hunting.

I was determined and dead set on using my 416rigby with peregrine 400gr copper expanding and brass solids for buff this year in luangwa.
However...
I have just learnt that I know jack sh*t and require the resourceful knowledge of the AH community to guide me in the right direction.

So now that I have deemed the 416 excess to requirements in terms of caliber and stopping power, which of the following two options would you guys recommend and once your caliber recommendation is given, what bullet choice would you use?
If there is a reasonable option other than the 2 calibers I have available, let me know your thoughts. I have until the end of October when the hunt is scheduled so that gives me at least till the day before to acquire the rifle and ammo. No need to worry about testing, I can always sight it I once I get to the valley.

Options are

What do you need sights for?.....:E Head Scratch::E Hmmm:.....And you need to upgrade to the .243 Springfield Ackley whelen short ultra magnum with thick lead jacket bullets with Swiss dark chocolate cores...then Pete you will be sorted.....:E Ok:......:whistle:

Well seriously, if a .22 is a viable option on leopard, wouldn’t you just step up to a .22 magnum on buff? And if that is the case do I take my .458 Lott along just in Case we are short firewood and a jack handle?
I agree with you WAB

Reactions: WAB
What do you need sights for?.....:E Head Scratch::E Hmmm:.....And you need to upgrade to the .243 Springfield Ackley whelen short ultra magnum with thick lead jacket bullets with Swiss dark chocolate cores...then Pete you will be sorted.....:E Ok:......:whistle:

Now how silly is that? You would use the old DGX if you had any balls!!!

However...

Options are

I would use the 243, but only if it is the 40 degree version, and only with triplex-loadings utilizing 2 grains of Bullseye, 10 grains of 2400 and 35 grains of IMR 4350.

I would use the 243, but only if it is the 40 degree version, and only with triplex-loadings utilizing 2 grains of Bullseye, 10 grains of 2400 and 35 grains of IMR 4350.

Finally someone with some sense!

Question is would you go light for caliber solids or heavy for caliber softs?

How about a well -placed frozen herring? Maybe a crossbow for a backup in case of emergency

The only issue I see is whether or not your will and life insurance is up to date:whistle:!

Finally someone with some sense!

Question is would you go light for caliber solids or heavy for caliber softs?

I think you know I am a heavy-for-caliber fellow...so I am going with the 105gr Speer. :)

Options are

The 223 SWAM (Super Whoop Ass Magnum) will give you something flatter shooting than your first option and more knock down than your second option. The 223 SWAM is the perfect round for long range Buff!

The 223 SWAM (Super Whoop Ass Magnum) will give you something flatter shooting than your first option and more knock down than your second option. The 223 SWAM is the perfect round for long range Buff!

I’ve read those SWAM calibers don’t feed well for most, but for a few they’ve had no issues....I’m sure it’s fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois