Buffalo and shooting sticks

As has been said, this subject has been beat to death. Sitcks and or a natural rest should be used whenever the shooter feels the need to do so. The shooters ability, distance involved, size of the animal, shot presentation, terrain and a host of other factors all come to play prior to making the decision to shoot.

I'll tell the flat honest truth. I went to Africa after 25 years of big game hunting and 150+ animals. I shot poorer than I though possible. Every animal died quickly, but the holes were not where they should have been.

I took a set of bog pods this year. They fit in a pelican case with one of the rifles quite easily. I should have taken the foam insert I cut out for them with me. I could t leave them as a gift as I needed them to keep things tight in the case.

I took a set of bog pods this year. They fit in a pelican case with one of the rifles quite easily.
We are using a set of BogPod tripod sticks for practice (older screw-in style not the wing adjusters) and a mono pod as well.
I like using the mono pod for binos and spotting while the hunter uses the tripod for shooting.
Wife and I have a pretty good system worked out, hope to do the same thing with the PH when we arrive.
I've decided to take at least the tripod sticks, and possibly take the mono pod as well.

Reactions: WAB
I'll tell the flat honest truth. I went to Africa after 25 years of big game hunting and 150+ animals. I shot poorer than I though possible. Every animal died quickly, but the holes were not where they should have been.
I think at times flying across salt water causes a loss in shooting skills! Been there too.

Sticks are only in my way for most any shot under 75 yards. I grew up hunting and really don’t have that much trouble shooting off hand. I can remember missing a close shot at a bait Impala because I, out of respect, used the sticks the PH put in front of me. I could have so easily made that shot. Another time we walked right up on a bushbuck ram in Zim. He was maybe 15 yards and the tracker was trying to put up the sticks! I pushed him out of my way and fired!
Philip

Why do you think that is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely use the sticks when available and the circumstance allows, even at 20 meters! Like others have said though, some are completely confident offhand to certain yardages
I am completely confident offhand to 150 yards but DG is a whole different situation. In that case if I had time and a rest was available I would make full use of it. IMO

I am completely confident offhand to 150 yards but DG is a whole different situation. In that case if I had time and a rest was available I would make full use of it. IMO

Right....with DG, a botched shot can get someone killed.

I would hazard a guess that 90% of first shots on DG are at ~50 yards or less. That helps the cause, as well!

Reactions: WAB
Sticks are only in my way for most any shot under 75 yards. I grew up hunting and really don’t have that much trouble shooting off hand. I can remember missing a close shot at a bait Impala because I, out of respect, used the sticks the PH put in front of me. I could have so easily made that shot. Another time we walked right up on a bushbuck ram in Zim. He was maybe 15 yards and the tracker was trying to put up the sticks! I pushed him out of my way and fired!
Philip

PH and tracker should also be able to determine the proficiency of the visiting hunter and bring that into account when using or not using the sticks...

Recently I hunted buffalo, with me was another hunter, it was a 1 x 1 hunt. They found a single bull, standing 20 metres away, the PH put up the shooting sticks. I couldn’t trust my ears. 20 metres??? Who needs shooting sticks when a huge animal is standing this close? The client found it very ackward using the sticks, so he wounded it. 20 meters...

How far was the buffalo away when you guys shot it? Were you using sticks?

Shooting sticks serve more than just holding the rifle steady.

Quite often the client has a problem seeing the animal the sticks they will help you to locate the animal.

Also they help to sure that the correct animal is shot. If you are having a problem locating the animal or the correct one let your PH know and he may direct you or possibly move the butt of your rifle a little to get you spot on.

I prefer a hasty sling over sticks under 50 yards or so. I feel pretty comfortable and steady with it.

There is an old saying that says: From a box of 20 cartridges, 5 to hunt and the rest to practice. Different shooting positions should be practiced, not only at a distance, and not depending on an artificial apparatus to support the rifle. You should look for the ideal shooting position, you cannot and should not depend on a support stick.
It is not the use or not of the stick, it is the ineptitude of the hunter .... beforehand the hunter must know the exact shot placement with his eyes closed, since it is a priority of every good hunter not to make the animal suffer.
Many blame the failure of the shot on the nervous system ... in which case I recommend that you hang up the rifle and do something else.

... Different shooting positions should be practiced, not only at a distance, and not depending on an artificial apparatus to support the rifle. You should look for the ideal shooting position, you cannot and should not depend on a support stick.
It is not the use or not of the stick, it is the ineptitude of the hunter .... beforehand the hunter must know the exact shot placement with his eyes closed, since it is a priority of every good hunter not to make the animal suffer....

The shooting sticks help reducing the wobble of the rifle. I used to compete in 300m, 3 position rifle back in the day, however I had all the time in the world to shoot at the targets (relatively speaking). Game could be quite a ways away and also necessitate a much quicker shot than one taking his time shooting at a range. Sticks help with the getting the shot out there quickly and accurately.

It is a tool that can be used regardless of the proficiency of the hunter.

Reactions: cls
Aim small, miss small.
Do the absolute best you can to get steady and take a humane shot.
You owe it to the game you are hunting to be responsible as you can for the harvest of the game.
If you are not comfortable with the shot...don't take it.
Gotta be man enough to NOT pull the trigger sometimes.
Excellent .......so good

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently I hunted buffalo, with me was another hunter, it was a 1 x 1 hunt. They found a single bull, standing 20 metres away, the PH put up the shooting sticks. I couldn’t trust my ears. 20 metres??? Who needs shooting sticks when a huge animal is standing this close? The client found it very ackward using the sticks, so he wounded it. 20 meters...

How far was the buffalo away when you guys shot it? Were you using sticks?
I have found that shooting distance to wounding, on buffalo, has no correlation over time with a cross section of hunters. Many reasons for this.

We shoot them from 10 to 100 yards. I always set the sticks and hope the hunter uses them regardless of the distance.

It easy to rush things and over excite a hunter and thus get bad results...the "hurry up and shoot" is never good, even if it's a big target at 20 yards!

Also depends on what you are used to, I have shot many animals freehand while they were running, wild boars in Spain, warthogs and one hyena in SA.

Reactions: JLF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!