Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
made my first ever archery kill on a white tail doe last friday. arrow was tipped with a Rage Hypodermic mechanical.

it was a through-and-through from 30 yards, and she staggered (she didn't run) about 10 or 12 yards, collapsed, and then expired within a half minute, not 20 yards in front of me. i'm usually pretty happy when they go down that quickly after being run through with a rifle bullet.

the wound channel inflicted by that broadhead was quite impressive, to say the very least. i am told that mechanicals do not fare well if they strike bone. perhaps, but if ribs are still considered bones, this broadhead did its job and was undamaged. i recovered the arrow about 20 yards behind where i shot her.

sgt sim,
congrats on your first bow kill!! not a fan of mechanical broad heads myself. look up dr ed ashby's report on arrow performance. you can learn a lot about arrows/broad heads in a short period of time.

Rage are the best Mechanical heads I've used, only the 2 blade tho seen problems with the 3. None of the deer I've shot went more then 50 yards, I had a video in the snow of a buck that sent 35-40 yards which was crazy since there was 2 foot wide blood spray on both side.

hit one doe in the shoulder and passed through the scapula, she went 5 yards. But lug shot a there very affective. The Chinese knockoffs were pretty good I'd have a few real ones in my quiver and a few fake, the knockoffs were used for does.

made my first ever archery kill on a white tail doe last friday. arrow was tipped with a Rage Hypodermic mechanical.

it was a through-and-through from 30 yards, and she staggered (she didn't run) about 10 or 12 yards, collapsed, and then expired within a half minute, not 20 yards in front of me. i'm usually pretty happy when they go down that quickly after being run through with a rifle bullet.

the wound channel inflicted by that broadhead was quite impressive, to say the very least. i am told that mechanicals do not fare well if they strike bone. perhaps, but if ribs are still considered bones, this broadhead did its job and was undamaged. i recovered the arrow about 20 yards behind where i shot her.
Congrats you are correct on the hitting bone part with a mechanical. However they leave great wound channels and blood trails on deer. However they do not penetrate pigs well. This has lead me to carrying both 125 grain grim reaper 3 blade mechanicals and 125 grain single bevel grisly stick samurai overkill’s in my quiver. I use the mechanical most of the time but when a hog comes by I switch arrows. Not the easiest operation but the penetration is worth it to me.

I've used mechanical broadheads and switched back to fixed. Too many issues when I'm using a crossbow. Keeping it simple with less moving part has been a major key to my success in taking Whitetail Deer. Having it leave the crossbow (or compound) and have one of the mechanical blades deploy has a huge affect on POI. At the same time, I don't have to worry about a fixe blade opening all of the the way and getting good penetration or veering off course.

When the stakes are the highest, your technology needs to be at it's most simple.

Congrats on your kill. I am a COC BH fan. Mechanical are great for blowing through animals if properly hit, but horrible when hitting bones. User beware !!

sgt sim,
congrats on your first bow kill!! not a fan of mechanical broad heads myself. look up dr ed ashby's report on arrow performance. you can learn a lot about arrows/broad heads in a short period of time.
+1 on Ashby’s research. It is worth your time to read.

I hunt with a 200 grain GrizzlyStik single bevel broadhead and a 450 grain arrow. They work very well. I arrowed a buck last weekend, it was facing me with a slight angle. The arrow broke through bone and the deer made it a total of 40 yards and was dead within 15 seconds. My buck from last year took less than 10 seconds to expire.

and congratulations on your deer! A deer killed with an arrow has nearly zero meat loss. The heart, liver and kidneys get turned to pate.

+1 on Ashby’s research. It is worth your time to read.

I hunt with a 200 grain GrizzlyStik single bevel broadhead and a 450 grain arrow. They work very well. I arrowed a buck last weekend, it was facing me with a slight angle. The arrow broke through bone and the deer made it a total of 40 yards and was dead within 15 seconds. My buck from last year took less than 10 seconds to expire.

and congratulations on your deer! A deer killed with an arrow has nearly zero meat loss. The heart, liver and kidneys get turned to pate.
Unfortunately, I dropped one of the liver lobes on the ground, but I did get the other one, plus the heart and kidneys. Next time, I think ima try and figure out where the pancreas is. I bet venison sweetbreads are as good as beef sweetbreads.

Muzzy Trocar HB for me. Hybrid design never fails fixed and mechanical in the same head.

Muzzy Trocar HB for me. Hybrid design never fails fixed and mechanical in the same head.
My broadhead of choice Kenneth. Been using them for the past 3 years or so, and been very impressed with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg