AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
I am an extremely novice bow hunter in need of advice. I bought a bow a couple years ago, in hopes of getting out with it, but harvest always seems to get in the way of bow hunting season for me. This year I was lucky to get my Alberta bull moose draw, so I'm hoping to get out with the bow to extend my season.

What kind of a set up would you recommend for draw weight, arrow weight etc.

Welcome aboard Aaron. I've always kept my bows at 70 lbs. whether it was for target practice or hunting An arrow's spine weight is dependent on draw weight of the bow and the length of the shaft you shoot. A visit to your local archery shop and a discussion with the "techs" there should answer all your questions. Your next question will be what type of Broadhead should I use. For me that was always decided by the terrain where the shot was to be taken. In open areas I used mechanical Broadheads where there is lots of brush & cover I use a three bladed solid. This subject is always up for "debate" i.e. subject to opinion. Practice as often as you can using field points that weigh the same as the Broadheads you intend to use. When you become proficient at broadside shots try shooting from different angles. On angled shots aim for the point of exit such that the arrow must pass through the animals vitals to get there. Good luck keep us posted.

As long as your 60lb or better you should be fine with no need to go over 70lb. Bow hunting is all about shot placement and good sharp broadheads. I would tell you go get some 340 series Easton fmj and some 125 grain slick trick heads. Practice at longer ranges that you even think you will shot as it helps getting better at the closer shots.

The more you shot the better you will get when the time comes to take the shot. Practice shooting from your knees also as that could happen when hunting and takes some practice to do. good luck

Aaron I have taken 2 moose with a bow at 74lbs draw weight with 125gr fixed blade thunderheads and heavy aluminum arrows. They are big critters and I am of the opinion that heavy arrows and 3 fixed blades are what should be used on big critters.
NOT LITTLE THIN SHAFT CARBONS ARROWS WITH EXPANDING BRAODHEADS PERIOD!! Those arrows are just fine for deer but dont hunt a moose with them. And BillC is correct practice shooting and drawing the bow from kneeling down as you may have to shoot kneeling down from behind cover and believe me it is way harder to draw that 70lbs bow kneeling down and shoot well.

IMG_1907.PNG
So this won't suffice?

I agree not a fan of all carbon arrows. But fmj are carbon arrows wrapped with alum so they do the job of both kinds but gives you better weight to get the job done. I just want to see the moose you get aaron with the nerf dart

I just want to see the moose you get aaron with the nerf dart
I want to see the moose that gets aaron after he shoots it with the nerf dart :D

:A Tease:Aaron I def think if you shoot a moose with the nerf arrow you wont be mounting him he will be mounting you!!:A Thumbs Up:

Alaska requires a minimum of 50 pounds of draw weight and 300 grains of arrow weight for moose. Over the years I've known a few women to use not much more than that with great results. Personally, and from many other friends opinions in Alaska, 60 pounds is plenty. And that's been true for over 25 years when bows were a lot less efficient.
As for arrows, thick or thin doesn't matter, but I suggest at least 450 grains with a fixed bladed broadhead. Slick Tricks are my choice, but there plenty of other good ones.

Looks like I have lots or practise ahead of me!

Alaska requires a minimum of 50 pounds of draw weight and 300 grains of arrow weight for moose. Over the years I've known a few women to use not much more than that with great results. Personally, and from many other friends opinions in Alaska, 60 pounds is plenty. And that's been true for over 25 years when bows were a lot less efficient.
As for arrows, thick or thin doesn't matter, but I suggest at least 450 grains with a fixed bladed broadhead. Slick Tricks are my choice, but there plenty of other good ones.

+1

What is your draw length? What draw weight are you comfortable with? There are a lot of variables to consider but all pretty simple. I am strictly a bowhunter sonif you have any specific questions please feel free to message me as well.

G5 Montec fixed blade, Carbon Express Rebel arrows, Mathews Switchback XT set at 70 lbs worked well on my big elk. A 28 yard broadside shot helped too.

My Montana elk hunting guide prefers hunters to use fixed broadheads. I think this advice would be good for moose too.

Shoot the weight you can comfortably pull and select an arrow that is the correct spine for your draw length and weight. Any good arrow, carbon or alum will do. I agree a fixed broadhead is best. There are many good ones. I use slick tricks and VPA's. Get your rig tuned we'll and use sharp blades. Enjoy the time prepping for this. Archery is a blast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross