BOTSWANA: Two Weeks Hunting In The Kalahari With Kanana Safaris

DAY 12

I awake at 0400 to a wind storm that has come into camp. The noise of Velcro fasteners ripping, flaps slapping and things slamming. Damn, it scared the hell out of me.
So here I sit in bed and write.

At the campfire before sunrise.

I head out with JP, Richard, Martin and X!hosa.
Looking for Gemsbok, Kudu, Eland and Duiker today.

Yesterday Martin had warned it would be cold today.
Damn it was humid and cold beyond what we had seen thus far.
Kudu were out feeding early today. The cold must be driving them to feed.

We ran into various decent Kudu bulls, nothing in my size range. It is a pleasure to see such a healthy population of Kudu on this property.

Multiple Duiker, Richard cannot find them in the scope or on the ground.
When you lose sight of them a second acquisition is a pain at best.

Nothing so far.

We grab my trail cameras at Hippo blind and #1 to see what came in the last few days.
I just downloaded them and we carried on hunting.

During our touring we watch as an Ostrich off in the distance proceeds to hide from the truck as we approach. It is amazing to watch it lay flat on the ground and stick its neck out flat and become a small black rock.

After more touring and not seeing much more of consequence I see a mature Male Ostrich and decide it is time to acquire one of these wily trophies.
I get set and am not really sure where to shoot for shot placement. I had never really thought about it. I use shotguns on birds!!
I decided center mass between the two wings on a quartering away big bird. One shot and down he goes. The 270 did its job. We approached and JP stopped me from shooting again and just finished him off immediately with a “bonk” on the head. Just like an over size pheasant.
Ostrichinspection_zps1d70f376.jpg

The men behind the curtain.
Themenbehindthepicture_zps7b44940d.jpg

Trophy pictures are taken and it is interesting to watch X!hosa examine this beautiful animal with such interest.

IMG_2239_zps67036a16.jpg

The Ostrich is loaded up and taken back to the skinning shed.

In for a long lunch and lay down.

When we head out again we go north to try and find a good Gemsbok for R. The wind has calmed down significantly and it is now presenting a decent consistent breeze for hunting.

The quarry is spotted walking slowly through the bush at about three hundred yards. Off we all go. I follow on a Stalk on a good Gemsbok for R and have my rifle along just in case. We are making our way very slowly toward the Gemsbok when we encounter a small herd of Zebra that halts any further progress toward the Gemsbok. We are crouched down to avoid detection and after waiting an eternity (you know the feeling) for them to clear out we looked at each other and changed the plan mid stride.

After speaking every so quietly with R we agree we are going to go for a double!

I whisper to JP a “double” while holding two fingers up. He looks at me quizzically and mouths “two”, while insistently holding up two fingers. I nod the affirmative. He just smiled. Apparently it is not going to be an issue.

Martin is holding back behind us sitting on his heels/haunches literally waiting and watching.

There are two Zebra slowly feeding, moving from right to left. They are under forty yards and are clueless we are there. I am to R’s left about three feet in the wide open. When the Stallion clears the brush he will most certainly see me. Timing is going to be a major consideration to pull this plan off.

Sure as hell, the Stallion barely clears the bush and stops in his tracks. He immediately wants to know what that strange lump is laying on the ground. He is locked on staring at me. R’s Zebra is still hidden behind the bush and there is no shot for him. I’m asked if I have a shot at the second one in line. I confirm that I do indeed have a shot. I’d prefer the dark Stallion but, the plan just has to come together.

We change the plan.

“Ok, are you ready. On three!” “I’ll call it.” “One, two, three.” Boom, boom.

Not quite one shot, but really close. Good enough. Both Zebra are hit perfectly. They are down in a short order.

It was an awesome stalk to get us within 40 yards.

DoofDoof_zpsa35eb802.jpg
Doubletrophy_zps71135d68.jpg

I turned around for a minute and look back and X!hosa's sense of humour is being expressed yet again. I had to get a picture.

LoneRanger_zps75f98603.jpg

Martin is shocked. When he moves up he says “doof-doof” and laughs and claps. We keep hearing this “doof-doof” exclaimed and repeated from the back seat all the way back to camp. I chuckle to myself at his apparent glee at this obvious anomaly in his hunting experience.

We are all laughing and celebrating on the drive to the lodge.

Last edited:
nice double...

so you killed "Big Bird"... When word get out you are in trouble...

Nice I really like the Darker one and Ostrichare great eating Congrats angain.

No matter how many times I see an ostrich I pass....just no interest at all. They are interesting to watch at times. I could have got one on the first trip for $100 and passed about half dozen times. I'm alright with my decision.

there both amazing looking zebras , the bolder lined one is real pretty .l really dig that stripe that starts at his muzzle and goes around and under his right eye and up into the base of his ear
sounds like a good hunt .
what the trophy from an ostrich, , the plumage,and his middle talon ?
will you get him mounted

No matter how many times I see an ostrich I pass....just no interest at all. They are interesting to watch at times. I could have got one on the first trip for $100 and passed about half dozen times. I'm alright with my decision.

I got set up when hunting at Ozondjahe (Jerome's place) because they were so damned cagey that they became a challenge. They run at the first sight of trouble. They also started acting like a "go away" bird on many occasions.
I can honestly say there will not be a repeat. I can see why they are not high on your list.

there both amazing looking zebras , the bolder lined one is real pretty .l really dig that stripe that starts at his muzzle and goes around and under his right eye and up into the base of his ear
sounds like a good hunt .
what the trophy from an ostrich, , the plumage,and his middle talon ?
will you get him mounted

I was the only one in the group to shoot an Ostrich
It was actually going to be split up between three people in the group.
The skin for leather.
The Skull, the scientist in the house likes them.
Feathers, for the kids to play with.

Heck for a $100 dollars I'd shoot one just for eating while I was there, they make great mid day snacks. a young man (12 years old) shot the one I tried the shot was a 1 shot down at 360 yards they were from NM his dad said he did that all the time back home that little bugger could shoot.

Day 13

Today started out with a 0530 wake up.

Holy crap, my toes literally froze on the bathroom tiles in my tent. I am constantly aware of the cold because I live in it for six months of the year and at home it is just a reality. Here is seems to surprize me. I know it gets cold at night, but how cold this feels is likely due to how warm it gets during the day. Thirty degree C swings in temperature anywhere on the planet would be noticed.

I refilled the hot water bottle to help thaw them and also my fingers. Frozen fingers make it a little tough to work on the computer. These hot water bottles are a very welcome tool. Most nights the staff have placed the hot water bottle in your bed. Not an electric blanket but it sure does take the chill off.

Everything would be hiding today. It’s cold.

This is hands down the coldest morning on that truck.
Without a word of exaggeration I have every last bit of clothing on but my rain coat.

JP has decided to go to the south property to hunt for RHB, Gemsbok, Duiker and Steenbok.
I told Martin and X!hosa to get down from the high seat and quit trying to spot anything. They came down low behind the cab and tried to stay warm. Love the effort but that was insane.

Onto the south side we ran into Kudu right off the bat, some cow Eland also.
We see Gemsbok, all too small.

The wind comes up more and shortly everything is lying down.

At 10:30 we start a walk through the bush to approach some pans.
We see a Warthog at fifty yards that was very tempting.

RHB leave the pan as we walk up. We just watch then leave as we are all still half frozen and not really hunting. We are really strolling the bush to get warm and keep warm.

I think we decided to start hunting after that.

We encounter Kudu and a lone RHB with some ELND on next two walk up attempts. We are not on our game. They see us first and are gone.
Finally we are warmer.

We stalk into a pan and have two Kudu that should have died; 57 easy and a 55. They stand there for an examination. We are behind cover and they are well within range. We cannot shoot on this property.

A short while later we drove by a herd of Waterbuck and they stayed bedded just 3o yards off road in the bush. The bull was certainly over 32 to 34 inches. That close you can get a pretty damn good idea of the size.

Ahhhhhh! @#$^^%@##
We are ticked off. JP is frustrated too.
Off we go, all shaking our heads.

Shortly spot a Duiker and I am pointing it out. It has horns. R goes for his gun. When he picks it up, it goes off in my ear before we ever leave the vehicle. WTF!?

I am blasted by the report. Right ear is deaf and ringing loud.
I am shocked and pissed off. The only response: “It’ll stop ringing in a couple hours..”
Needless to say the Duiker hunt is no a go.

We move off and shortly reverse in beside a blind and park for lunch.
The trackers head off to sleep in the sun.

I do the same. I have been converted. It is now readily apparent to me why Africans are out sitting in the sun.
I am treating this like a beach holiday. Head on a round rock and laying in the sun and sand and I am asleep shortly. I wake up about 1400.
IMG_2278_zpsdd7e1784.jpg
Nice sandy beach.

Not thinking where I am, I jump straight up and walk to the truck, scaring a few critters away that had come into the pan. Oh well.
I jumped into the truck and have another sandwich and coke and shake the cobwebs out. I look around and see that the guys have now climbed into the blind to sleep. It’s cooler in there. Apparently they have warmed up.

A decent Impala comes in on the opposite side of the clearing.
We look, nice and thick. No monster by any means, just good old animal with worn horns.
He meanders through the cover and makes his way closer. I take a rest and wait because he keeps stopping behind cover.
I cannot shoot from my position, so stretch and lean far to the right where I can see him. I settled and take a shot. I squeeze the trigger and I am shocked, I hit him two feet from where I was aiming.

Pure confusion. I felt good. Is the gun off? Shoot again, whack.
Now he is moving off at very slow speed. I move back and reset myself square to the animal and take aim at the same spot and here another whack as he disappears into the cover.
I am worried the trackers may have a job.
We all approach and I discover quite quickly they do not have a hard job. A blind man could follow this trail, literally. There is rumen content for the entire fifty yards of the trail.
One perfect shot and two I wish I would forget about and erase from my hunting history.

I am immediately thinking about going to the range and checking the rifle. It has to be the rifle right!?
You have to blame the gun, scope etc. It’s never the operator. JP was a consummate professional and waits for me to be less upset before he will jump in.
I am quite upset and distressed about the result of my poor shooting.
IMG_2281_zpsa7585347.jpg
IMG_2283_zpse5876be8.jpg

We take the trophy pictures on the road in the nearest opening. I am not really enthusiastic about this.

When we are on our way again and within a kilometer down the trail I spot a very good Red Hartebeest bull well out front and to the left of the road. We moved up and I get set and it is not more than sixty yards to where he is in the cover moving toward us. He moves off a bit and stops behind a bush. He thinks he is hidden.

It is a young Sekelbos and is not really a shield to a 300 WM. It is not that far a shot and I decide to shoot right through the bush. I am not waiting for him to clear.
I finally learned something and applied it. You can shoot through the bush if the animal is close to the bush and there is no bush close to you.

Down he goes instantly and we are all surprised. Then we are shocked further when he gets up and tries to leave. He makes it twenty yards before his struggle was done.

IMG_2292_zps0b18ff75.jpg

Great trophy.
RHBTrophy_zpse6e41d21.jpg

I took pictures of the "hole", a clean blow through. Got a trophy Sekelbos and a great RHB. The hole going in is as large as the one going out. Perfect shot placement too.

RHBExithole_zps10dfcd11.jpg
Barkflak_zpsb3617e62.jpg
Entrancehole_zps74481d27.jpg

This is where the professional in the professional hunter decides to throw in a well timed comment about the gun. “Apparently it is not the gun”. You have to love it. Apparently not!

After much thinking and review I finally concluded it certainly was not the gun. I have not shot a magnum rifle for a long time. With a 270 I can shoot from any angle and keep the shot on track. Not with a bigger gun. Rookie mistake. You cannot lean and keep a magnum shooting straight. Never again!

We see a Steenbok beside the road I lost it into the sun
“It’s right there”, is all I hear from my companions. I can’t see him.
As I keep searching he moves, shade my glasses and I finally see him.
After what seems like forever we finally know it has horns and he stops. I shoot over top.

Steenbokescape_zps2b1bd5df.jpg

He runs off, stops and now I know where he is. I have a solid rest and, boom.

I hear the strike and it sounds like a wet slap.
We walk out for pictures because I know he has not moved an inch.
I hit an unseen bush on the way in and ruined the cape. (to say the least) Damn.
Euro Mount!

Steenbokcape_zps4373b060.jpg

This is the flack from the bark.
Barkflak_zpsb3617e62.jpg

We ran into another good Gemsbok and tried for it with R but it disappeared into the cover, never to be seen again.

As we are leaving the property we ran into more Kudu near the gate.
We crossed back into Kanana side of the farm and we immediately saw "shootable" Kudu.
The same size as R’s first and certainly not quite there for me.

We start to line up on a Jackal at 400 plus yards on the trail but he gets off the trail before we can get the job done. He has been educated.

We make our way back to camp and we are first in today.

When Jeremy arrives he has to go to the skinning shed and measure my RHB trophy. He has taken a couple of good ones and I think he is concerned he has been bested. One of the guys has commented that he never heard so much about numbers even in his earlier career as an accountant. That makes me laugh.

R and J measure my trophy and it turns out to be a 24 RHB.
I knew it was a great trophy before the numbers were ever announced.

Tonight there is a traditional Braai. Steaks, chops and Wors were cooked over the open fire coals. It was absolutely delicious. Makes you want to do that every day.

Braai2_zps4740e121.jpg
Braai_zps8c6ad5b7.jpg

The Boma ready for the hunting party to arrive.
DinnerTime_zps8c25d771.jpg

We talk about heading to the Cattle section of the farm to try and beat the record on cull critters.
Maybe we can get a monster Gemsbok out of the effort.
I have Black Wildebeest, Gemsbok, and Eland left on my list. Duiker and Gemsbok for R.

Attachments

• Sekelbostrophy_zpsd0fb0b50.jpg
    Sekelbostrophy_zpsd0fb0b50.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Manbehindthetrophy_zps656ced31.jpg
    Manbehindthetrophy_zps656ced31.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
I will be hunting in an area just a little bit East of you in a few months. Is Hepatitis a problem in your area?

nice hartebeest bricko.
new he would measure out well as soon as l seen them tops .
im also in agreeance with the trophy photos near the road or even moving the animal .
l always take a photo or 4 where the animal drops , for my own album .
and the setup, trophy pics are always in second place. though they definitely do the animal better justice in most cases
youre steenbok is a ripper , I love them little race cars , and will be on my want list ,on every trip to god country I make from here on out .

Some more nice ones sure as hell glad I don't have your Taxidermy bill after this trip. Congrats

nice hartebeest bricko.
new he would measure out well as soon as l seen them tops .
im also in agreeance with the trophy photos near the road or even moving the animal .
l always take a photo or 4 where the animal drops , for my own album .
and the setup, trophy pics are always in second place. though they definitely do the animal better justice in most cases
youre steenbok is a ripper , I love them little race cars , and will be on my want list ,on every trip to god country I make from here on out .

Thanks Bluey. Pretty darned fortunate.
Steenbok are always on my list.

Some more nice ones sure as hell glad I don't have your Taxidermy bill after this trip. Congrats

I'm still in denial. If you don't learn to add it is always better. :)

Man Brickburn, that Red Hartebeest is a whopper! Very nice! Keep it coming, looking forward to the next chapter. :D

Day 14

I wake up at 0414 and try to get back to sleep. It does not work.
I am in bed typing and my fingers are freezing as I type.

As an interesting aside, to give you an idea about the temperature in the tent, I have to cup my hands around the florescent bulb in the bedside light to warm it enough to get it to light up.
Light_zpsd3ab0daa.jpg

This is now a morning ritual.

No shower this morning. I do not have enough courage to stand in the cold and get wet this morning. No complaints, this is a remote tent camp, not a downtown Hilton. It is what it is and all part of the experience.

Another day opens at Kanana and we drive the main farm looking for large Gemsbok, Kudu and Eland.

The fence and fire break.
PerimeterFence_zpsef5f9ff5.jpg

A tool I had never encountered before was the "drivers switch" A stick the Ph used to direct the driver to where he wanted him to go.
The stick is just placed in front of the wind screen and the driver goes left or right as the stick points. Ingenious actually.
DriverWhip_zps84ac15b2.jpg

JP has a serious hate on for Jackal. If we see any the die is cast.
An unlucky Jackal stands still for a moment and Richard shoots it.
JP went to retrieve it and it turned out to be wounded. So JP managed to finish it off. It was an amazing effort to watch actually.

IMG_2333_zps5aa74b52.jpg
IMG_2321_zps9c1f8d4e.jpg
IMG_2347_zpsa3310d91.jpg

I learn something new today. Climbing through the game fences is an exercise. It is not the typical four strand barbed wire I deal with at home. Game proof fences require you to climb past the tight strands at the bottom to squeeze through the fencing strands higher up.
IMG_2342_zpsf186c36c.jpg

We stop in at JP’s house to check the power inverter and spend some time waiting for the antifreeze to start to circulate in the animals. (Looks like a civil works project anywhere in the world!)

IMG_1150_zpsfff7f779.jpg

It is so cold the animals are not moving until 10:30 plus anyway.

This is when I get to meet the newest guard dog on the farm; “George”. He is a young character and will make a good addition to the menagerie at Kanana. His personality is outstanding.
JPampGEORGE_zps2a330930.jpg

After some touring and having seen nothing of consequence we head in for lunch and some lounging in the lodge.

Another one of those Kudu waiting to grow up. :)
IMG_2363_zpsf4b0eef7.jpg

It is decided to head to the cattle area. Apparently Wildebeest and Cattle do not mix disease wise. So culling in this area is required.

Shortly after entering the Cattle section we saw the results of other cull hunts: Gut piles and Vultures.

Richard spotted a herd of Wildebeest milling in some thick bush and they were very nervous. One stood still long enough and R took a shot from the truck at 250 yards. We moved up quickly and finished the job with some additional fan fare.

We moved on and found the herd of Wildebeest again and they were not interested in us getting close. We were certainly not going to get any closer when JP threw down the gauntlet for some long range shooting. I don’t think he was done ribbing me about the Impala fiasco.

The Wildebeest were standing broadside and was ranged at 450 yards. I used the .270 and got steady on my camera bag and then put one in the heart.
IMG_1156_zps92807d38.jpg

IMG_1153_zpsf16ef281.jpg

Was nice to see the 270 works so well with the TTSX. We found the bullet under the skin in the offside shoulder. We loaded him up and were off to find more.

IMG_1168_zps74d460cb.jpg

Found more Gemsbok and ended up taking 5 Gemsbok. No world records, but close.

bottlebull2_zps7f4420aa.jpg

I took one of 38 inches and another with bases the size of a pop bottle.

Dubbed the “Pop Bottle Bull”. It had absolutely amazing bases and mass on this Oryx and thought he was really small. Just a proportion I had never encountered.
IMG_1151_zps7e6f593f.jpg

We shot at two Oryx at the end of legal light. I had some doubt about my shot and at the end of the daylight we could not find blood. I did not take my flashlight along, which sucked to not be able to figure it out right then. Tomorrow's first chore.

IMG_1166_zps1bc39533.jpg

We came in with our load to get the seven animals we had taken that afternoon processed properly.
An incredible amount of work that was handled well by the staff of skinners.

Tonight we had dinner and relaxed around the fire.

Last edited:
Let me tell you Brickburn.....I having so much fun reading this thread that you cant imagine.........I sayd this once here......who needs a book, even being a book reader my self........the writing, the pictures, the trophies, the posibilities to keep adding pics and text to the thread are infinit......so again.......who needs a book in this days.....just in travel case I guess........!!!!

I cant say nothing about this wonderfull trip you had in the Botswana land, but I have a couple questions maybe.........I am checking all the operations here for 2016.......I am allready done with my hunting in SA last may.....so planning for 2016.....Are there any chance for Nyala, Eland and bushpig there or close to there at least, because they are in my bucket list for 2016 and another more trophies that they allready have.....will be my second PG in Africa.......How long is Kanana from Maun Airport.......

Thank you in advance my friend..........

One more thing......I hope that group of men in the picture dont try to take Argentina by the force...........because maybe you can do it.....hahahahaha...........:ROFLMAO:

nice shooting on the bwb bricko
both them gemsbok are really nice to mate , something special about an animal that can scrathch its own ass just by looking up and twisting its head .
must be just like your place , having to push start a light bulb , because of the cold .
great writeup ,pictures and trophies thankyou once again ...........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!