BOTSWANA: Two Weeks Hunting In The Kalahari With Kanana Safaris

No. You said, "We dropped three guys and Morlund at a blind, dropped three staff at the Headquarters and on we went north.

There are two hunters and three observers, two trackers and a PH left in the vehicle now.
This should be interesting." Now my math is off....that is one person missing. I missed your count of Morlund. Geeeeez! This is why you need more women on this site! Hahahaha! :)
At this time of night it's lucky he can open his eyes to read what he wrote. He's still got got spots in front of his eyes from the Leopard he didn't get in Namibia. ;):)

Outstanding Wayne and only one screw up the whole trip on your part, no pic with all those folks on the Bakkie! LOL I can picture in my mind a part of the
Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus. :ROFLMAO:

This the picture in your mind? It is the one in mine.
You had to laugh.

2994710868_43749aa126_b.jpg

No. You said, "We dropped three guys and Morlund at a blind, dropped three staff at the Headquarters and on we went north.

There are two hunters and three observers, two trackers and a PH left in the vehicle now.
This should be interesting." Now my math is off....that is one person missing. I missed your count of Morlund. Geeeeez! This is why you need more women on this site! Hahahaha! :)

Make up any numbers you want to make it work. I'm fine with it.

Botswana , my favorite place to hunt , I hunted twice there this year , thanks for the post .

them night photos ,rock my socks , bricko, well done mate (y)(y)

I'm sure there were some serious logistic planning going on to fit everyone in the bakkie. LOL.

Here is in the States we are not to far either, this was taken in South Dakota. :D You gotta do with what you have....LOL!!!!

DSC00369.JPG

my son and his girlfriend got refused service at a KFC drive thru , for having a samba spikey tied to the roof of stacies little hyundai thing.....
he still wont go back to that grease pit , for a feed of hart attack chicken .......

Transfer Day

This morning is our road trip to Maun and the flight out to Joburg for the next part of the adventure.

Saying goodbye to the team after breakfast and we are on our way.
Goodbye_zps53ceebed.jpg

It is a four hour drive to Maun and we stop to see the Baobab’s and the requisite photo session.
I have been wanting to see one of these trees since I was a little kid. Well worth the stop for me.

Baobab2_zps20f56c1f.jpg
Lookwayup_zpsbea7706f.jpg

How many people have carved into this tree over the hundreds of years I can not imagine.
BaobabGrafitti_zpsec13bf1b.jpg

It was so tempting to grab some fruit and maybe grow one at home. :)

BaobabSeeds_zpsd14e4f1b.jpg

The “Kalahari Ferrari’s” are numerous along the highway. Donkeys are everywhere. Skinny cattle and there is very little grass. Although there is plenty of dust.

FerarriEngines_zps5e357106.jpg

We cross the red line partition disease fence that keeps the buffalo and bad stuff on the north side.

It was surreal to see fish being sold beside a highway when there is nothing but dust and heat. Where are the fish coming from? Apparently there is a lake relatively close by.

We get to the Maun airport safe and sound. We discover a new charge to get your firearm onto a plane. You get an official receipt but I think someone has a holiday fund building.
You have to pay in cash: Euros, etc. Glad I had some in my wallet from the Frankfurt leg of my trip. There is a moneychanger in the airport. You’ll love the rates!!!

Jason has a fixer present to help us get through the gun exit process. It helped to have someone point the way in a small very busy airport. It is a collision of hunters, tourists, outfitters, PH's, tour guides and regular folks.

The process, once you part with your money, is straightforward and they have dealt with guns so much that the staff can do it blindfolded.

We line up to get checked in and discover that Air Botswana has combined a flight and will be rerouting our travel up through Kasane instead of straight to Joburg. This is after already cancelling an earlier flight we were booked on. These earlier flights were to ensure we were in Joburg in daylight!
Now I’ll be driving in the dark for certain. Not something that your average tourist should be doing in South Africa. My friends notice that look only face. !!@#$%^&*
It takes a few moments to chill and accept TIA! Always plan for more time to do things than you might normally think is required.

On to the plane for our air tour of northern Botswana.
OfftoKasanefromMaun_zps2c052e22.jpg

Got my first look at Zambia and Zimbabwe from the air and flew past Livingstone.
Maybe one of these days.

Last edited:
I just got word this morning that the import permits are almost in place to get the trophies shipped from Botswana. Export Permits are already in place.
I'll be crossing my fingers for a few days.

My biggest disappointment in Zim this year was the stars... All of the brush fires in Zambia had the sky so smoky that the stars just weren't what I remembered from my Vic Falls trip in 99. Glad you did not have the same issue!!!

Wayne,

Thanks for a great report and photos.

There is more good reading in this report than in the entire last year of SCI's magazine.

Enjoyed it immensely.

It was well worth the wait.(y)

Wondered why some of the tent platforms were so high at Kanana. Thought it was a good way to break an ankle falling off at night. The photos explain it well. (y)

Never in a thousand years did I guess why they were that high. I initially thought it might be to keep Warthogs from walking in and visiting.
Then the pictures of the rains! Amazing.

Wayne,
Thanks for a great report and photos.
There is more good reading in this report than in the entire last year of SCI's magazine.
Enjoyed it immensely.
It was well worth the wait.(y)

Glad you enjoyed it.

September 8, 2015 and I just got an email from Mochaba Developments about the final two pieces of my trophy list making there way into South Africa.
It will be interesting to see what arrives at the Taxidermist in RSA.

November 17, 2015 Another email yesterday about the last two trophies being picked up from Safari Cargo in Joburg to be delivered by Spherical.
Another two months gone by.

Apparently they are taking longer than expected.

"Mounting is now in full swing, but takes a bit longer than expected. I think they are using very poor quality salt in Botswana. It takes all efforts to get some stretch into the skins."

Not the kind of news you want to hear. Oh, well.

Botswana trophies in progress. FINALLY
Me thinks the Taxidermist is not a photographer. !!

IMG_1466.jpg

P1060044.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

P1060043.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

Canada Day Kudu.jpg

P1060045.jpg

I just sent a new instruction to the taxidermist after looking at the pictures a little more closely.
Replace the Springbok cape with a new one. (pretty sure they have spares in RSA)

On the SPRINGBOK, the holes skinned around the horns are horrific. It is not acceptable.
Not his fault. Just the way the cape showed up.

Seems to be a little too much air on the front of the base of the Kudu's left horn too.

Hmmmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross