Bore cleaners???

35bore

AH legend
Joined
Apr 17, 2009
Messages
2,401
Reaction score
972
Media
74
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
I use CR-10 and Sweet's 7.62

Read pro's and Con's to both, just curious, what do you guys use to get the copper out????
 
I use plain old Hoppes #9 to remove most of the copper and let the bore sit as long as a week, swabbing every day. If I get bored and just want to tear at it I use CR 10. I used to use Sweets but feel CR 10 may be a tad better, maybe not. Amazing though that Hoppes does as well as it does.
 
Wipe Out is by far my favorite.
 
If I get bored and just want to tear at it I use CR 10. I used to use Sweets .

Fellow Sharpshooter use to be able to do the same thing with Sweets, until they changed the formula. It didn't ruin his barrel, but scared the crap out of him when first patch came out with the rust color.
 
I forgot to oil the bore after CR 10 once in my .338 Win mag and I guess a little bit remained inside...Two weeks later at the range, ran a drying patch down the bore and out it came all red! About had a coronary! Looked in the bore and it looked like the inside of an old water pipe, solid rust. If I had not ran that patch down and found the rust, but fired it instead, I could easily have had a blow up. Fortunately the bore sustained no damage that I could tell either by looks or performance as it continued to shoot very well.
 
I like the Gunslik Foaming Bore Cleaner for typical maintenance.
CR 10 for the (shame on me) bores I've neglected.
 
Butch's bore shine. Great stuff.
 
Butch's bore shine. Great stuff.

In what way does this stuff work for you? I tried a bottle once and felt it was pretty much useless for anything. Just curious.
 
In what way does this stuff work for you? I tried a bottle once and felt it was pretty much useless for anything. Just curious.

Really? A freind put me on it years ago and I have had great success on barrels full of Barnes fouling. On really badly neglected barels copper melt is amazing stuff as well, as long as you have nylon brushes that is otherwise you get about 1-2 pushes then no bristles left. The copper melt is a bit too agressive for my taste though.
 
This is ,by far, the best product I have ever used. And I've tried them all.

Welcome to Bore Tech Inc
Doc,
I agree with you. I use Bore Tech's Eliminator. A little bit on the pricey side, but when you have cleaned your barrel with other products and the patch comes out clean. Then use Bore Tech's product straight afterwards, and the patch comes out green, you know that its are worth it.
 
Kroil followed by Wipe Out works great for me. Montana Extreme works great, but I hate the fumes.
 
Wipe-out first choice and then if I feel like really getting after it I use one or more of the following--Sweets7.62/tetra-gun copper solvent/shooters choice copper solvent/Kroil oil/blue magic. Then a shot of brake clean spray. A dry patch or two. Then I use tetra-gun oil when I am done.
 
In what way does this stuff work for you? I tried a bottle once and felt it was pretty much useless for anything. Just curious.

ses, I have to retract my Butchs bore shine endorsement. While rustling through some of my shooting stuff I found a recipe for "Ed's Red", a home brewed cleaner used by some benchrest shooters, then I realized what I have been using for many years is not Butchs bore shine but Ed's Red in an old Butchs bottle! LOL I guess I should label things better.

My endorsement is actually for the Ed's Red concoction, this stuff works wonders. There seems to be quite a few slight variations, the one I used on short notice with no sporting goods stores open used the componets I already had in the shed:
1 part - Automatic transmission fluid
1 part - Penetrating oil (I used Moovit)
1 part - Coleman fuel
1 Part - Acetone
I have been amazed at the performance of this stuff. I clean infrequently (intentionally) and it makes light work of the task with little or no brushing.
 
When I went to Namibia in 2008, I took several ziploc sandwich bags with pre-treated patches (I forget which cleaner I was using at the time) plus some dry patches and maybe some patches treated with gun oil. Cleaning rod, brush and jag were packed in the rifle case. This let me have cleaning capability over there without having to sneak a container of bore cleaner onto the airplane. Maybe everyone does this, but thought some might find the idea useful.
 
pre-soaked patches- hummm, now that's something I never thought of-great idea- x-rays only will see the patches I think. But I love the smell of #9 in the morning :-)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,071
Members
169,488
Latest member
SharynPico
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top