Bobs gonna disown me for this one.....

Reaction score
Media
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen is probably going to disown me for this one but I bought a .243 yesterday and am looking for what loads works for whitetails. Rifles a Rossi matched pair in 243 22lr and 20 gauge that rolls up in a cloth case.

I started out with 100 grain psp Corlokt Remington in my new 243 acquisition. Just to get used to it.
Found some 85 grain Barnes TTSX and will use the H4350 powder at the recommended dosage.
We will see how they fly, when I get some time.

100 grain is standard for .243 on deer size game and it works.
If you go lighter and faster, be sure they are not varmint bullets as they will blow up on impact and just blow off some hair. Been there and seen that. Had to kill the deer with my .308.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen is probably going to disown me for this one but I bought a .243 yesterday and am looking for what loads works for whitetails. Rifles a Rossi matched pair in 243 22lr and 20 gauge that rolls up in a cloth case.

I use Barnes TTSX 80 Grain on Black Tail, Pigs, and several African PG up to Wildebeest… I’ll have to check the load work up on powder.

Don't listen to anyone who knocks the .243 Winchester cartridge. Colonel Seis Vy Creedmoor was well known for having dispatched a charging trio of 100 pounders at close range with his daughter's 243 using only Hornady V-Max's just a few years prior to developing the ultimate game cartridge bearing his name. ;-)

For me personally, I like a 90-100 grain partitioned bullet over 40 grains of IMR 4350 in a 243 with a 1:10 twist.

Last edited:
A .243 and Whitetail?!!!!! You will surely die.

But I don’t know, I’d give it a go with a 100gr Nosler AB’s or Partitions.

I bought a Tikka T3X Suoer Lite a couple of years ago in 243 Win.
I worked up a load using the Barnes 80 gr TTSX which is about 25fps faster than the Barnes Vor-tex factory ammo with the same bullet.
It is very accurate and I just love this caliber for deer and smaller size game.

Front sling screw tendon will affect your groups. Some of them don’t like copper bullets. Good luck!

Oh dear lord!! Please stand over there as I don't want to be hit by accident by the bolt of lightening !!

I use factory RWS Teilmantel 100 gr. SP, only for Roe Deer.

Don´t shoot that much to bother with reloading.

My lawyer has retired from both his practice and from hunting, I bought his Winchester featherweight in 243 (included were 30 boxes of ammo). I had bought 243’s for my kids and grandkids but had never hunted deer with such a small caliber. Shot a buck yesterday and had a pass through on both shoulders. So contrary to some it is possible to put meat on the ground. I am a big bore guy and still feel that my manhood is intact.

Sitting in the blind with my T/C Venture .243 as I type this. Using Hornady American Whitetail factory loads with 100 gr Interlocks. This has worked well for us.

69144F68-49D5-48BB-A78C-C19575452EB1.jpeg

FF5676FF-7914-4A10-BB6F-11C3DD48D74A.jpeg

Sitting in the blind with my T/C Venture .243 as I type this. Using Hornady American Whitetail factory loads with 100 gr Interlocks. This has worked well for us.

View attachment 501282
View attachment 501283
Nova Scotia still doesn’t allow Sunday hunting so I’m stuck waiting until tomorrow night to take mine out. Got it up to the range and sighted it in using Hornadys this afternoon luckily Canadian tire had a box.

Nova Scotia still doesn’t allow Sunday hunting so I’m stuck waiting until tomorrow night to take mine out. Got it up to the range and sighted it in using Hornadys this afternoon luckily Canadian tire had a box.
Yeah that’s a stupid law imo. It was like that here in Sask as well until 10 or so years ago, I forget now. But it sucked if you couldn’t book holidays and could only hunt 2 or 3 Saturdays. Hopefully NS gets with the program!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg