Bobs gonna disown me for this one.....

Well best I can figure Bobs got to be gone walk about. I can’t believe he’d let this slide If he wasn’t in the bush.
@Skinnersblade
Bob is on walkabout but on seeing this I have had to step in and say something. I know you won't have it long and will use it for some Moe horse trading when you find out Bob is right.
Stick with your 45-70. Less meat damage and zero tracking. You will learn the hard way my son.
Bob

Here are the recovered pieces of a Hornady Interlock bullet designed for dangerous game. This Hornady Interlock design even has an internal steel jacket! Bullet impact velocity was approx 2000 fps. Extrapolate the results of a thinner jacketed version this bullet design at a much higher impact velocity as expected from a 243. The results will be: (my experience with the 270 version a long time ago ) a bunch of smaller fragments. :) You pays you money and you takes you chances.... "Interlock"? .... my butt.

Hornady interlock .jpg

Here are the recovered pieces of a Hornady Interlock bullet designed for dangerous game. This Hornady Interlock design even has an internal steel jacket! Bullet impact velocity was approx 2000 fps. Extrapolate the results of a thinner jacketed version this bullet design at a much higher impact velocity as expected from a 243. The results will be: (my experience with the 270 version a long time ago ) a bunch of smaller fragments. :) You pays you money and you takes you chances.... "Interlock"? .... my butt.

View attachment 501785

There's an interlock marketed for DG? Never in my life would I use one for DG. That's nuts.

@Skinnersblade
Bob is on walkabout but on seeing this I have had to step in and say something. I know you won't have it long and will use it for some Moe horse trading when you find out Bob is right.
Stick with your 45-70. Less meat damage and zero tracking. You will learn the hard way my son.
Bob
Say high to Wally and the gang for me Bob and don’t slip donk the tongue when you make him spill his beer. We’ll be waiting to here a walkabout story when you get back

I have a nice M70 Super Grade in .243. I’ve killed a few deer using 100 gr Speer hotcor bullets. It is very accurate with these bullets and seems to work fine. To be honest, mine has become a safe Queen. I typically grab a 7x57 or 9.3x62 when I’m heading out the back door.

Perusing the net I see quite a bit of factory 243 Winchester ammo available in Canada. Winchester XP. That bullet would be far superior to the Hornady Interlock.

There's an interlock marketed for DG? Never in my life would I use one for DG. That's nuts.
That’s exactly what Hornady did for years. Hornady has long been known for denial of various bullet design failures dating to the 70s. Finally the headwind and facts caught up with them on this “DG” bullet. They completely redesigned the DGX with a better tapered and skived jacket and a bonded core. But… they continue to promote the “ interlock” fraud.

If it makes you feel any better Bob I also bought a .444 marlin a week or so back.
@Skinnersblade
Use the 265gn hornaday interlocks mate they were designed for the 444. Interlock are a fine bullet despite what some naysayers think.. The 265gn FTX is another fine bullet.
Bob

View attachment 501785
@fourfive8
20211117_163416.jpg

The dg Interlock may be crap but in smaller calibers the are fine.
This is a 150gn SST from an 80kg pig. The only one I have ever recovered. At 3,600fps out of my 25 the 100gn Interlock tend to come apart at closer range, 200 and less but the result has always been one very dead animal.
The SST is just an Interlock with a plastic hat.
Bob

Say high to Wally and the gang for me Bob and don’t slip donk the tongue when you make him spill his beer. We’ll be waiting to here a walkabout story when you get back
@Skinnersblade
Just a family holiday mate but going deep sea fishing on Friday. About 20 miles off shore.

A problem with the 243 is that its light recoil is used as a substitute for proper firing training. Instead of teaching technique that enables a person to shoot a heavy recoiling rifle without adverse effects, the student learns that it doesn't matter how the rifle is held, because it doesn't kick enough to matter. When the shooter moves on to bigger cartridges, since he doesn't have proper technique, a flinch develops and considers any rifle over 243 to be killers from both ends.

@rdog
Blood pressure is under control but the postage on all the sympathy cards for 243 owners is going to be massive.
Maybe you convert them to 25 souper
Bob
Good to hear from you Bob i thought you have been ill, or away hunting.

100 grain is standard for .243 on deer size game and it works.
If you go lighter and faster, be sure they are not varmint bullets as they will blow up on impact and just blow off some hair. Been there and seen that. Had to kill the deer with my .308.
Agreed. I killed a decent total of red deer and wild pigs using this bullet (Norma). One entered a small hind's backside and kept going until it hit the diaphragm and exploded shredding everything north.

I will say the Hornady Interlock bullet is both cheap and abundant- it's got that going for it. :)

First time I ever used a Hornady IL was 1978, right after they came out. Shot a medium sized mule deer buck at about 160 yards. 270 Win 130 gr Hornady IL loaded to a little over 2900 fps. Impact velocity about 2550 fps. Had to track it down and finish it off but the tracking was not hard. What a mess though with a pretty good sized crater in the shoulder. IIRC about the same time, right after introduction, Hornady started to hear complaints about this bullet. Standard reply from Hornady, paraphrased, "Well it killed it didn't it?".... or some variation of that. That was the first and last time I ever used a Hornady bullet for big game.

Dug through my box of recovered bullets and pieces I've kept since my first deer back in the 60s and found the remains of the Hornady IL 130 gr 270 I dug out of the mule deer's shoulder described above. Pic of two largest pieces I kept.

Hornady Interlock.jpg

@BRICKBURN
A friend of mine used the 100gn core lock on fallow. Identical shots, one died the other went down but on the way to retrieve them the 2nd one got ip and left never to be seen again.
He now owns a 25-06 and the 243 is up for sale.
Bob

Strange. At 300 yards the bullet took out the upper front leg bone and took out both lungs and broke a rib and ended up under the skin on the off side. Closer shot, 130 yards the bullet broke up and went through the ribs on both sides. That is like a CorLokt though. Close up, they over expand and further out they penetrate and hold together much better when they slow down.
New Caliber to me. I’ll see where it goes with your info as a cautionary note.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross