Bobs gonna disown me for this one.....

I am really considering trading it for a 7mm-08.
Many years ago i got my first centerfire rifle, a then new, first year Rem 700 .308Win. I've been all over North America with that rifle and have no complaints- however a few years ago I got a Sako 85 in 7-08 in a trade and it has taken over the "game smaller than branch-antler elk" hunts. I think the .30" rounds are better served by the '06 case- making the 7mm in a '08 case a perfect combination.

A fellow that I worked with had an old (about 1960) Winchester Model 70 target rifle that was chambered in 243 Win. As I recall it had a standard 1-10" twist, From what I've read I would think that the 243 wouldn't be particularly good for targets- at least anything beyond 300 yards. Now 60 years later there are long high BC bullets that would be great for target shooting to the long ranges- but a faster twist would be needed.
Is there any use for a 243 target rifle with a 1-10" twist?
If that's all you have. Shooting a 6XC, 6CM, 6BRA have been shooting 1-8 to 1-7, even a few gain twist to 6.8. Just depends on what you want, Berger 105 hybrids are my go to, I'll run the 115 Dtacs too.

Many years ago i got my first centerfire rifle, a then new, first year Rem 700 .308Win. I've been all over North America with that rifle and have no complaints- however a few years ago I got a Sako 85 in 7-08 in a trade and it has taken over the "game smaller than branch-antler elk" hunts. I think the .30" rounds are better served by the '06 case- making the 7mm in a '08 case a perfect combination.
I am a die-hard fan of the .308, especially in my Browning BLR. I'll never part with that rifle until I am no longer able to go hunting. Then it will likely go to my stepson. I've also had a 7mm RM since 1990 and really love it. so I figure I have to get a 7mm-08 to match it up with my two favourites. I have never felt a disadvantage using my .308 vs my buddies who use .30-06s (which I'll never have a negative thing to about either). It just works great for what I use it for. But the more I think about the 7-08, the more I want one.

Oh, the .243. Growing up in Southeast GA, it was the white tail king. Still one of my all time favorite calibers. I have had great success with 100 grain Nosler Partitions. My rifle just seemed to like them.

@Skinnersblade back in the summer I picked up two boxes of this stuff at Cabela’s in Regina for $82.
1888C786-9D29-48FB-813B-1E29A2876E15.jpeg

The weekend before last my Dad took this big-bodied mule deer with one. The deer only made it 30 yards and was done.
5D6144A9-A3C2-4EE0-B3E8-99D47B94E38F.jpeg

Well best I can figure Bobs got to be gone walk about. I can’t believe he’d let this slide If he wasn’t in the bush.
It's the quiet before the storm. Cyclone Bob will eventually appear here and it won't be pretty. LOL

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen is probably going to disown me for this one but I bought a .243 yesterday and am looking for what loads works for whitetails. Rifles a Rossi matched pair in 243 22lr and 20 gauge that rolls up in a cloth case.
@Skinnersblade
Mate no loads you look for will work on anything but a paper deer.
I won't disown you mate but I may have to get over there sooner rather than later to help you see the errors of your ways. We will discuss it over some Bundy mate.
Bob

I started out with 100 grain psp Corlokt Remington in my new 243 acquisition. Just to get used to it.
Found some 85 grain Barnes TTSX and will use the H4350 powder at the recommended dosage.
We will see how they fly, when I get some time.
@BRICKBURN
A friend of mine used the 100gn core lock on fallow. Identical shots, one died the other went down but on the way to retrieve them the 2nd one got ip and left never to be seen again.
He now owns a 25-06 and the 243 is up for sale.
Bob

100 grain is standard for .243 on deer size game and it works.
If you go lighter and faster, be sure they are not varmint bullets as they will blow up on impact and just blow off some hair. Been there and seen that. Had to kill the deer with my .308.
@crs Typical performance of that horrible little caliber.
Bob

I think we should go easy on Bob 35, we do not want the old bloke to blow a gasket with all this 243 WIN talk.;)
@rdog
Blood pressure is under control but the postage on all the sympathy cards for 243 owners is going to be massive.
Maybe you convert them to 25 souper
Bob

Why Interlocks? Using an abundant and cheap frangible bullet is not good economy- best reserved for paper targets. Barnes bullets immediately come to mind or Hornady's version of the monolithic come to mind. The game deserves better than cheap out bullets or easy to obtain bullets. One more time... the interlock verbiage Hornady uses for their Interlock bullet is a fraudulent, suggestive claim for performance on big game.
@fourfive8
The 250gr 35 cal round nose at 2,700fps punches a golf ball sive hole out the other side of an oryx bull at 120 yards. I have been using the SST for years and it's just a fancy Interlock and have never recovered one all have exited with massive internal damage.
Bob

A fellow that I worked with had an old (about 1960) Winchester Model 70 target rifle that was chambered in 243 Win. As I recall it had a standard 1-10" twist, From what I've read I would think that the 243 wouldn't be particularly good for targets- at least anything beyond 300 yards. Now 60 years later there are long high BC bullets that would be great for target shooting to the long ranges- but a faster twist would be needed.
Is there any use for a 243 target rifle with a 1-10" twist?
@Ray B
My question is is there any use for a 243 anything except maybe a house adress.
Bob

I'm sure Bob will echo my recommendation of using a 95gn BT Nosler projectile for most hunting applications where you use the mighty .243 Winchester
@CBH Australia
No he won't.
I blew up on a pig, another punche a 6mm hole thru it. Both ran off to be finished of with the 25. No3 actually died.
Now the 95gn SST that is a different story.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.