Blesbok or Impala

migrabill

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
Absolute newbie here. Hunting Africa for the first time in June of 2024. I have been very busy reading all the planning guides and resources on this wonderful site. Question 1. My hunt, among other animals, includes a hunters choice of Blesbok OR Impala. I like the horns better on the Impala, but the facial markings better on the Blesbok. In general terms, is one considered "more desirable" than the other? I am currently thinking I will take whichever one I see the better specimen of. But all things being equal, which should I take?

Absolute newbie here. Hunting Africa for the first time in June of 2024. I have been very busy reading all the planning guides and resources on this wonderful site. Question 1. My hunt, among other animals, includes a hunters choice of Blesbok OR Impala. I like the horns better on the Impala, but the facial markings better on the Blesbok. In general terms, is one considered "more desirable" than the other? I am currently thinking I will take whichever one I see the better specimen of. But all things being equal, which should I take?
Both. One as your choice, the other as a target of opportunity.

Wait until you get there and see what catches your attention more, and bring enough extra cash to take the other if the opportunity arises and it interests you. They're each great in their own way.

Impala for me. I just love hunting them. And good eating too!

Like others mentioned, both impala and blesbok are not very expensive animals to hunt. In your case, as you have a package to fill, I'd suggest to the outfitter, that you are open for both, and would take whichever you encounter first that is of excellent quality as a trophy. Then the remainder of your trip, keep an eye out for the other.

I took both on my first safari, and I would suggest taking both. They are not expensive animals, and they are great to stalk & hunt. Here are my two.

BLESBOK.jpg

IMPALA.jpg

I agree with what's been said: neither is expensive. Both were a part of my package deal. I really wasn't very interested in blesbok, but wanted an impala. Hunting blesbok changed my mind: I am glad to have harvested one, and I really like its horns, after the fact. I actually shot a second impala late in my hunt because... they're not expensive and I had time and opportunity after my package deal was filled.

Well... since Oscar included his two, I guess I need to man up and do the same... except I have three. :ROFLMAO:

P1010775.jpg

P1010839.jpg

SC-13-2.jpg

Cut your expenses here and there and take the Sable. The first time I went to SA, Sables were in 9-10K, way out of my league. They are more affordable now.

TT, you look great with those fine animals, and taken with a lever gun. You are my hero. :ROFLMAO:

I suggest you have a list with three columns.

1) The animals you'd be most disappointed to not take,
2) The animals you'd take by chance, and
3) The animals you'd hunt if you finish early.

Hunt the animals that are in Column 1 - if you bump into animals from Column 2 while hunting a Column 1 animal then take them. If you get done with Column 1 then hunt Column 3.

Football Analogy: You can always call "game time audibles" but it's good to at least have a play called when you get to the line of scrimmage...

OK. You guys talked me into it. Looks like I will be going for the Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Blesbok, Kudu, Gemsbok, and Zebra.
Sable and Warthog are back ups.
If you asked blesbok or warthog. I’d immediately say warthog. I’d move it to your primary list. Blesbok are generally a very easy straightforward hunt, see, stalk, shoot. Warthog are very skittish everywhere I’ve been and they make a great trophy.

If you asked blesbok or warthog. I’d immediately say warthog. I’d move it to your primary list. Blesbok are generally a very easy straightforward hunt, see, stalk, shoot. Warthog are very skittish everywhere I’ve been and they make a great trophy.
Yes, I tried for 3 years to bag a warthog and didn't get a shot. On my first hunt I had a list of 5 head I wanted and wound up taking 10. Targets of opportunity I just couldn't pass up, blesbuck being one along with black wildebeest, waterbuck, nyala and springbok. It's easy to say no but when you see them in real life, they are beautiful and worthy of the added expense. Plan on it.

OK. You guys talked me into it. Looks like I will be going for the Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Blesbok, Kudu, Gemsbok, and Zebra.
Sable and Warthog are back ups.
Not sure how sable is a backup and you are bickering between blesbuck and impala....

I can only think of ONE reason for a blesbok over an impala that being blesbok are only available in Namibia and South Africa ( not sure about Botswana) if you are planning on future trips to other countries you most likely can pick up an impala there. But there’s nothing wrong with having more than 1 impala from more than 1 country. My opinion only.

Ok. This is your first go around.

Shop for a nice older impala. Do not shoot unless you have nice horns. If the tops flair out that is a shooter. If the tops tip in that is a pass.

Blesbok, again look at the horns. There are the close and narrow horns and then the horns that have a spread. Again are you going after the common brown one or the cream color one.

If you are mounting them the impala with flair will be a conversation piece. I suggest you do a euro if you take one with the horns tipped inward.

the Blesbok, makes a nice mount the one with wide horns make a better conversation piece as there are so few of them.

It is your hunt, you will be shown many different animals in a short period of time. If you have time to glass the animals before you make a move on them. Count the horn ribs the more the older the animals along with horn colorization. On an impala the horn bases are white for a growing horn and black for horn growth that has stopped.

Have an idea, of what a representative animal will look like. Look at SCI and have your PH point you to Gold or Silver in horn length. That is what you are looking for In the animals you will be hunting.

Enjoy your trip, take more pictures that you think you need to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemonaThra

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you