Big bore recoil

A short 500J, kneeling .. members here said
lop.jpg
, "Not wise to shoot in that position"
 
I have the Primos Jim Shockey Edition tripod shooting sticks. You seem them being used frequently in Africa nowadays.
While I don't own a big bore, when I go to the range I shoot my 375 H&H off the sticks to practice for real life hunting.
The only time I have shot it from the bench was when I zeroed it for 100 yards.
I keep reading .375s not being big bore.


I obviously have been mistaken all my life: what kinda rats take a .375?
 
Recoil is hardly felt during the excitement when shooting at game. I shoot 3.5", 12 ga magnums. Don't feel the recoil when hunting but feel the kick when sighting in. Also you have to consider padding. If you are hunting in cold weather, you will have a lot of clothes on. In Africa, you may be wearing only a shirt. Big difference.
 
@WAB, do you happen to have a picture of the standing bench?
In Wright's excellent book shooting the British Double rifle there is an excellent picture and description of Holland and Hollands standing shooting bench. At our hunting camp we use a standing shooting bench. Not as stable as Holland & Hollands, but works.
 
  • Like
Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,360
Members
169,532
Latest member
subsrotestheo1978
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top