buckshot85

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, GOA, CCRKBA,
Hello, Folks
I grew up whitetail hunting here in Wisconsin. I used a 12ga with 3” mag slugs for decades.
How much more recoil does let’s say .458Lott have than that?
I have never shot a big bore rifle, but I am going to ask my PH if he will let me fire his. I’ll pay him for the ammo.
At 54, my shoulders are not as stout as they used to be, but I need to shoot a big bore rifle just because it needs doing.
Would I expect any hassle at the airport or customs bringing that empty brass home as a souvenir?

If you're shooting 3" mag shotgun the 458 Lott is easily doable but to make it easier take it on a hunt where you are taking a game animal. That always reduces the felt recoil. Just don't shoot it off a bench. Shoot off sticks or better yet standing. And remember to roll with the recoil.

The main thing I make sure of when shooting any rifle, particularly one with significant recoil is to keep the butt firmly to my shoulder, so that the gun doesn't get a run at it. If your shoulder and the rest of your body is accelerated from 0 with the rifle it's more like a ride than being hit.

First, there is no comparison between a shotgun and a large bore rifle. They are two different kinds of recoil.

Second, you will be fine as long as you follow the advice given by the other members here. Keep the gun pulled tight into the shoulder and lean into the recoil. My usual advice for new shooters is to pretend you're trying to push something heavy.

-Matt

If you're shooting 3" mag shotgun the 458 Lott is easily doable but to make it easier take it on a hunt where you are taking a game animal. That always reduces the felt recoil. Just don't shoot it off a bench. Shoot off sticks or better yet standing. And remember to roll with the recoil.
I fully agree, a magnum shotgun has considerable recoil. But it is different. Absolutely agree it is best to be standing, although shooting a rhino with my 505 Gibbs in a sitting position... I do not remember any recoil but I do remember a slight pop as far as noise. Got off 3 shots pretty quickly without any "felt" recoil. And a 458 Lott is not too much gun for a blue wildebeest, nor a zebra;)

The main thing I make sure of when shooting any rifle, particularly one with significant recoil is to keep the butt firmly to my shoulder, so that the gun doesn't get a run at it. If your shoulder and the rest of your body is accelerated from 0 with the rifle it's more like a ride than being hit.
This is so true. Embrace that thing tightly like she's the love of your life and hang on to her.

More precisely, get the butt into the pocket of your shoulder, on the meat not the bone. Firmly pull it into that pocket as you squeeze the trigger. Also best to have your cheek firmly welded to the stock. If you don't, it may jump up and slap you. If you have your head and shoulder tight to the gun, feet firmly planted, your upper body will roll back as the barrel rises. It will be a great experience:)

I used to shoot a sxs 10ga shotgun and a 2 oz trap load that produced around 35-40 ft lbs recoil. This is about the same as a 338 Win Mag or 8mm Rem Mag and probably a hunting weight 300 Win mag with heavy bullets.
Depending on the 458 Lott rifle weight and probable bullet weight of 500gr at 2200 to 2400 fps I estimate 60 ft lbs plus. Slug loads usually have a lighter slug then a hunting weight of shot but also has a faster velocity. But, recoil is recoil based on gun weight, bullet weight, velocity and powder charge weight. Recoil velocity is also a factor. My 500 NE recoils at about 25 mph. You can watch slow mo video of the 458 lott or other large bore rifle and see what I am talking about.
When I started shooting my 500 NE DR I leaned in as if to stop the recoil dead and it pounded me substantially. Finally getting some sense in my head stood upright and let it recoil while held snugly in the shoulder. Shooting paper it is still quite noticeable.
I also have a looser body 25 years after the 10ga so expect the 500 NE is probably rougher than it would have been when I was younger. That 25 years is off my almost 69 years now.
Maybe the 10ga helped kick it loose. :)
Good luck and don't be afraid.

Thanks, Everyone!!!!
Appreciate all the tips.
I’ve never been recoil shy. The question was more about what to expect. I have decided to use the large bore for part of my hunt.
Also, I have been doing a bunch of reading and had some info mixed up.
The outfitter has .458 Win Mag not the Lott.
I suspect the difference isn’t enough to even ponder.
have a great Sunday.

Thanks, Everyone!!!!
Appreciate all the tips.
I’ve never been recoil shy. The question was more about what to expect. I have decided to use the large bore for part of my hunt.
Also, I have been doing a bunch of reading and had some info mixed up.
The outfitter has .458 Win Mag not the Lott.
I suspect the difference isn’t enough to even ponder.
have a great Sunday.
Assuming you’re shooting 500 grain bullets there is about a 8-10lb recoil difference according to Chuckhawks recoil guide.

Shooting a big bore rifle is like learning to ride a bike. You can read about it all you want and get lots of advice but the best way to learn is go shoot it. It won't take long to figure out what works and what doesn't. Be prepared. It's going to smack you around a bit until you figure it out but it's not going to kill you. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty cool knowing you're competent shooting what terrifies the vast majority of hunters.

Be warned, the damn things are addictive.

Oh and don't buy a box of cartridges and pound away at the range. Shoot 3 to 10 to know you can hit an animal. But don't beat yourself up right before a hunt. 15 was my self imposed limit of 505 Gibbs whe prepping to hunt with it. It killed me in my back more than shoulder.

That 458 win is going to be a pussy cat compared to a full house Lott. That 10 foot pounds is significant at that high end. It will be fun and enjoyable:)

@buckshot85 i assume you must have contacted your PH about this. Does he reload? If he does, he may appreciate it if you bring him some brass and possibly bullets. Both can simply be packed in your checked luggage.

I FOUND THAT shooting a 400 grain bullet at 2400 fps from a sub-9 lb. rifle can get your attention when shooting from a bench. Lead Sled helps there. From offhand, sitting, or off the sticks just snug up, hold on to the fore stock and fire away. No problem and I never had a sore shoulder or any other damage. I am older than you, too.

My PH offered me his 470 NE DR to shoot a buff. I'm looking forward to it.

Felt recoil has a lot to do with gun weight and gun fit. A light Ill fitting gun might beat your teeth out while another gun in the same caliber might be a pleasure to shoot. Also, not all recoil is created equal. I find that many of the big bores have more of a slow push than a sharp punch.

Finally form, from your feet all the way up, has a lot to do with how you handle recoil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross