Big Bore Cartridges

The .956 and .858 have already been done long ago. They were called 4-bores and 8-bores before the days of magnum mania.

The .600 was designed and built in 1899 and first wrote of in The Field magazine that year. It is basically a 20-bore brass shot shell case with a thicker rim to prevent it from being loaded in a shotgun. First developed with 120 grains of cordite and an 800-grain bullet, it was changed to 110 grains and 900 grains a short while later (Original case length was 2.8" and later lengthened to 3"). Jeffery reduced to 100 grains of cordite for his single shots and most of his doubles. Some were for 110 grains and I know of two for 120 grains and one for the super rare 105 grains. Kynoch wrote they would load 130 grains on Jeffery's responsibility but that my have been a typo and actually meant 120 grains as only two were developed for that charge.
Cheers,
Cal

An excellent article and I love this quote:

"No matter which of these the reader may choose, I can assure you that the .375 H&H will have absolutely no felt recoil after a range session with your new big bore."

When we go to the range we always shoot the 500 Jeffery then move on to the 416 Rem and 375 Weatherby. The 375 feels like a 30-06 after 5 rounds through the 500.

When I grow up and get rich, I am going to develop the ".858 Futalognkosaurus" (Futalognkosaurus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) as the ultimate big game cartridge. A 1,300gr bullet at 3,000 fps out of a 15 lb rifle or something.

Just remember me when the .858 Futalognkosaurus becomes popular.

...................:ROFLMAO: I hope you get rich enough to hire a real big man to shoot it for you as well!:eek:

You guys need to think out of the box,MOA( Minute Of Atomic),no rifle needed
18ccvdbcl2kawjpg.jpg

You guys need to think out of the box,MOA( Minute Of Atomic),no rifle needed View attachment 149999
I dont see any sling attachment points, could get heavy after a few hours on the trail of ele.

Never mind, one of the trackers can always help carry it for you...:whistle:;):LOL:

I dont see any sling attachment points, could get heavy after a few hours on the trail of ele.

Never mind, one of the trackers can always help carry it for you...:whistle:;):LOL:
Got to earn that Tip!!

I guess my 500 Jeffery is "sob" a medium bore ... :(
I guess this makes my .375 H&H only useful for dwarf bunnies and smaller. I still think it is a little overkill for houseflies.

I have no problem with a 600 Nitro, so long as it weighs at least 18 pounds and someone else carries it!!

My most brutal recoil (if you can call it that) was from 500 grain Hornady at 1,800 fps out of a 7.25 pound rifle. Pretty brisk, but not close to a normal 13 pound 600 Nitro.

I am thinking 500 Nitro is as large as I would dare go. And I think I'd want it to weigh at least 11.5 pounds. I can lift weights...I cannot replace brain cells. ;)
... or retinas even more so. I own a 505 Gibbs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg