Big Bore Cartridges

cal pappas

Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
The .956 and .858 have already been done long ago. They were called 4-bores and 8-bores before the days of magnum mania.

The .600 was designed and built in 1899 and first wrote of in The Field magazine that year. It is basically a 20-bore brass shot shell case with a thicker rim to prevent it from being loaded in a shotgun. First developed with 120 grains of cordite and an 800-grain bullet, it was changed to 110 grains and 900 grains a short while later (Original case length was 2.8" and later lengthened to 3"). Jeffery reduced to 100 grains of cordite for his single shots and most of his doubles. Some were for 110 grains and I know of two for 120 grains and one for the super rare 105 grains. Kynoch wrote they would load 130 grains on Jeffery's responsibility but that my have been a typo and actually meant 120 grains as only two were developed for that charge.
Cheers,
Cal

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
An excellent article and I love this quote:

"No matter which of these the reader may choose, I can assure you that the .375 H&H will have absolutely no felt recoil after a range session with your new big bore."

When we go to the range we always shoot the 500 Jeffery then move on to the 416 Rem and 375 Weatherby. The 375 feels like a 30-06 after 5 rounds through the 500.

DUGABOY1

Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
Double Rifle Shooter's Society, Life NAHC, NRA,SCI
Hunted
Us, Canada,Zambia, Zimbabwe, South America
When I grow up and get rich, I am going to develop the ".858 Futalognkosaurus" (Futalognkosaurus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) as the ultimate big game cartridge. A 1,300gr bullet at 3,000 fps out of a 15 lb rifle or something.

Just remember me when the .858 Futalognkosaurus becomes popular.

...................:ROFLMAO: I hope you get rich enough to hire a real big man to shoot it for you as well!:eek:

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
You guys need to think out of the box,MOA( Minute Of Atomic),no rifle needed
18ccvdbcl2kawjpg.jpg

PeteG

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
You guys need to think out of the box,MOA( Minute Of Atomic),no rifle needed View attachment 149999
I dont see any sling attachment points, could get heavy after a few hours on the trail of ele.

Never mind, one of the trackers can always help carry it for you...:whistle:;):LOL:

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
I dont see any sling attachment points, could get heavy after a few hours on the trail of ele.

Never mind, one of the trackers can always help carry it for you...:whistle:;):LOL:
Got to earn that Tip!!

ChrisG

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
I guess my 500 Jeffery is "sob" a medium bore ... :(
I guess this makes my .375 H&H only useful for dwarf bunnies and smaller. I still think it is a little overkill for houseflies.

Dr. Crack

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
I have no problem with a 600 Nitro, so long as it weighs at least 18 pounds and someone else carries it!!

My most brutal recoil (if you can call it that) was from 500 grain Hornady at 1,800 fps out of a 7.25 pound rifle. Pretty brisk, but not close to a normal 13 pound 600 Nitro.

I am thinking 500 Nitro is as large as I would dare go. And I think I'd want it to weigh at least 11.5 pounds. I can lift weights...I cannot replace brain cells. ;)
... or retinas even more so. I own a 505 Gibbs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYPMinnie1

Latest profile posts

john corry wrote on Alexandro Faria's profile.
Hi,
I remembered you mentioned a dealer in Gauteng regarding a Rigby 350? May I ask who that is? I’m a collector of rigby rifles. Many thanks. John
I am alive and trying to find some hard-to-find reloading dies in .475 #2 (not Jeffreys)
Hi, I’m going on a Leopard & Lion hunt, I’m taking my 338 Blaser mag loaded with 225gr Nosler Accubond moving at 2850ft/s. Will the Nosler Accubond be an excellent bullet on this leopard & lion? Thanks
raamw wrote on MShort's profile.
I have an as new M70 right hand with standard wood of excellent graining and a winchester synthetic
Looking for a 358 Norma Mag.