Big Bore Addiction Group

Well I started out ten or so years ago with a .375H&H Brno 602, which was a lovely gun. I sold it but couldn't completely kick the habit, so I recently bought a .416 Rigby CZ550. Before I've even mastered the art of shooting that well I'm trying to figure out how I can get myself a .5something double?! I was told that a true big bore had to start with at least .4, but I'm not so sure. I think .5 looks better!

I was told that a true big bore had to start with at least .4, but I'm not so sure. I think .5 looks better!

Stop tempting me evil spirit!

Well I started out ten or so years ago with a .375H&H Brno 602, which was a lovely gun. I sold it but couldn't completely kick the habit, so I recently bought a .416 Rigby CZ550. Before I've even mastered the art of shooting that well I'm trying to figure out how I can get myself a .5something double?! I was told that a true big bore had to start with at least .4, but I'm not so sure. I think .5 looks better!

That's right !:)

When choosing a double rifle , the caliber 50 is a very good choice. The classic cartridges caliber 45 for DR are a little weak in terms of their ballistic performance and the cartridges 577NE or 600NE a little bit too strong for everyday use. The cartridge 500NE is a very good compromise.

But as far as the bolt action rifles are concerned , the cartridges caliber 416 , and especially the 416 Rigby , are actually the best choice you can make for big game hunting in Africa. Certainly such rifles are not comparable to a big bore rifle caliber 460WM or 500 Jeffery , with the latter but , except for elephant hunting , you are totally overgunned. I speak from experience , I have the gun safe full of things I would not buy anymore.

Last edited:
Yep! The .375 H&H seems to be the gateway cartridge for this addiction.

I started with a No. 1 in .458 Win Mag, then picked up a .375 for a song. Someone bought it and decided it was too much for whitetail deer.

I have the worst form of this as I have gone the route of big bore revolvers as well as the rifles. Oh the humanity!

Yep! The .375 H&H seems to be the gateway cartridge for this addiction.

The very first time I reached to squeeze the trigger on my 375H&H I was absolutely terrified of what was to follow. At this point 308Win was the biggest thing I’ve ever fired. As soon as the sound of that shot died out I’ve put the rifle down and took off the muzzle break. I fired the rifle again. And I knew at the moment it was just the beginning...

The very first time I reached to squeeze the trigger on my 375H&H I was absolutely terrified of what was to follow. At this point 308Win was the biggest thing I’ve ever fired. As soon as the sound of that shot died out I’ve put the rifle down and took off the muzzle break. I fired the rifle again. And I knew at the moment it was just the beginning...
I'm with you.
Wife and I are getting things in order to pull the trigger on a "his & hers" Blaser R8 set up.
Going with 22lr, 300WM, 375H&H and 416RM.
Believe it or not my wife was the one who suggested the 416RM.
Who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?

I think the wife has a bit of the addiction as well.
She was shooting my 375 every now and then at the range while getting ready for our last trip.
With both of us approaching full blown addiction status, we could be seeking the help of a 12-step.

I guess I can post on this thread now. I bought a Mod 70 375 early this year and have been really enjoying shooting it. I have a 45-70 for hunting whitetails in Ohio and low and behold you folks on this terrible forum made me go and start a 404J build of all things. I can’t wait to get it. I picked up a used 375 HH Mod 70 recently and through help from @Custom and others sent it off to Dennis Olson for the build. Should have it back in the coming months. Plan to use it for a DG hunt in the coming years with it and the 375HH will be off to Zimbabwe for a PG hunt in June. It truly is an addiction. Thanks a lot all of your terrible encouragement.
Ed

Oh, yeah. Win 70 375HH a few years ago which quickly became my all time favorite bolt gun. Now I'm waiting on a 404 Jeffery from MRC. I'm kind of going the other way lately. I've been doing a lot of reading and research on a 9.3x62. Dunno why. It's so close to my 375HH but it fascinates me.

I remain a supporter of the use of Big Bore rifles. But when it comes to rifles such as a 460WM , 500 Jeffery , 577NE or 600NE , one comes already at certain limits. Everything works very well , but the 416's or 404 Jeffery work well too , and are quite sufficient , at least for buffalo hunting. The elephant hunting is another topic.

Last edited:
The elephant hunting is another topic.

Is it though? 416's, 404J and similar seem to have been for elephants for a long time. It's not like blokes are out there professional ivory hunting these days. Most hunters are going to get one, maybe two shots at an elephant and if shit goes pear shaped it's the PH's time to step in. In that case he most definitely should have a large rifle but the hunter can get away with a ruger no1 really.

I've seen some beautiful doubles on youtube and similar that clients have chasing elephants. But more often than not (and I do mean that), before they have a chance to touch the second trigger the PH is starting to fire.

DR like a 577NE or 600NE are today part of the hunting folklore. They are beautiful rifles , but nobody needs that. They are not handy when compared to a scoped Big Bore bolt action rifle , but make a good impression in the battery of a old african hunter. On the other hand , a scoped rifle caliber 500 Jeffery is very efficient when it comes to elephant hunting.

I am not a PH , but if I had to do an backup , then I would take a DR caliber 577NE or 600NE. It makes a good impression and seems to calm the clients.

Last edited:
First time I ever shot a big bore was in Seely Lake, Montana at a charity in the 70s. They had bake sales, hot dogs, beer, soda, etc but the real attraction was the 55 Buick on blocks. Shoot the Buick for a dollar, bring your own guns and ammo! I shot a friends pre-64 375 H&H and it rocked that Buick. lol

I guess I'm a rookie when it comes to big bores, since I only have one a 375 H&H. :( I do however, own a few magnums (257, 270, 7mm, 300 & 6.5-300 Weatherbys), does that count? :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I guess I'm a rookie when it comes to big bores, since I only have one a 375 H&H. :( I do however, own a few magnums (257, 270, 7mm, 300 & 6.5-300 Weatherbys), does that count? :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Usually not and a rifle caliber 375 H&H is also not one of them. That is a Medium Bore rifle.

Big Bore or Large Bore refers to calibers with a diameter of .400 or larger. But there are also big differences, especially when it comes to recoil. The recoil of a rifle caliber 416 Rigby is mild compared to a rifle caliber 500 jeffery for example. Double Rifle have a different kind of recoil , especially the heavy rifles of very large calibers.

But these are all just definitions.

Bummer. If you'd gotten the .375 first, you wouldn't have needed to fool with all the others.

Usually not and a rifle caliber 375 H&H is also not one of them. That is a Medium Bore rifle.

Big Bore or Large Bore refers to calibers with a diameter of .400 or larger. But there are also big differences, especially when it comes to recoil. The recoil of a rifle caliber 416 Rigby is mild compared to a rifle caliber 500 jeffery for example. Double Rifle have a different kind of recoil , especially the heavy rifles of very large calibers.

But these are all just definitions.
Uh ohh, the owners of the big flinchies are shutting us small time medium bore goons out again. I guess I'll have to rush out and get a big flinchy single shot so I can be in the club again...Now where to find a .450NE Ruger No. 1???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg