Big Bore Addiction Group

heresy! :V Guillotine:

now to redeem yourself you must let me shoot some pigs for free. :A Deal:

-matt
Truth is I'm just not man enough I guess when it comes to scotch, bourbon, and whiskey. I can't stand any of them. :Vomit:

Truth is I'm just not man enough I guess when it comes to scotch, bourbon, and whiskey. I can't stand any of them. :Vomit:

i was only kidding of course... about the scotch. not the part about the pigs though, let me shoot some pigs! :D

my 416 craves more pigs and i would hate to deny such a nice rifle what it needs.

-matt

image.jpg
I know this falls in under Matt's big bore criteria but here goes
We went to range for a gong shoot, using 300 magnums at 300metres was the plan. Decided to warm up at 200m!
After all zeroed in and ready to move, I decided to keep up with Stug and pulled the 9.3 out with open sites.
Here are two out of my four shots on the 10inch gong. 2700fps using 270g Speer.
Admittedly this was off a bench

nice shooting, but as you said the bore diameter is a little small. i dont dislike medium bores (in fact i love them!) but this section is for discussion of .375"+ cartridges. its not my rule, if i was the one making the rules for the big bore section then the minimum caliber would be .400" but the forum chose to start it at .375".

PS: we need to get you some hardened steel plates.

-matt

:E Excited:should of mentioned that just at the bottom right edge is a shiny hit mark which was my mate with his 375 at 300 metres!:E Frightened:
First shot with a 24inch hold over, unfortunately his next two missed.
I will take my 450 next time to qualify:E Happy:

i look forward to seeing what you can do at 300 yards with a 450. ive never tried over 50 yards with anything bigger then a 416 and even then i havent tried over 150 yards.

-matt

At some point, I want to get some of the Hornady 450 grain .416 match bullets. That and a stout scope should make for some interesting long range shooting.

We were hitting a 15"x15" plate at 250 yds with a 458 win mag and 350gr projectiles. With a ballistic program and a scope anything is possible.

Guess I can add my name here as well.

404 Jeffery

And a 9.3 (Irrespective of who says what, we know the truth) :p

Stug

It seems a .458 Win Mag and a .500 Jeffery is an accurate rifle out to 200 meters...I read this in various hunting magazines and re-loading manuals...Someday when I have scoped my .458 Win Mag Mannlicher Schoenauer I really want to try shooting out to 250 meters...I have seen a video where a person used his .416 Rigby as a long range rifle with excellent results...

If your Rifle, be it double or bolt has regulated open sights with extra flip up sights, hitting a 200yrd gong should be fairly easy. My Gibbs 450NE with it's regulated 480gr bullets andusing it's 200yrd flip up sight will hit the 2ooyrd gong (24"x 24")all day long as long as I do my part which is less often then not.

Matt85 any of the 416 class Rifles are honest 250yrd guns, which makes them a very capable all round Safari Rifle.
A 400grn .416 dia bullet pushed at 2400fps zeroed at 150yrds will be +1.3" at 100yrds, 0" at 150yrds, -3.3" at 200yrds and -7.3" at 250yrds. You can shoot just about anything with those numbers.

Matt85 any of the 416 class Rifles are honest 250yrd guns, which makes them a very capable all round Safari Rifle.
A 400grn .416 dia bullet pushed at 2400fps zeroed at 150yrds will be +1.3" at 100yrds, 0" at 150yrds, -3.3" at 200yrds and -7.3" at 250yrds. You can shoot just about anything with those numbers.

Using the Hornady .416 match bullets and a good scope should extend the range past that.

ive been using Barnes 300gr .416" TSX in my 416 RM at 2650fps with great success on PG. longest shot ive ever taken was on the warthog in my avatar at around 140 yards.

-matt

I have a Barnes 300grn TSX load for my 400H&H (.411) dia, that crosses the chrony at an even 2700fps, have shot a cow elk and a few pigs with this load. My "varmit" load is the same powder charge with a 300grn Hornady SP at 2700fps, this round was designed for the 405 win to perform at much lower velocities, needless to say it turns everything it hits into a gray mist.

well bad news for my 585 HE, on Sunday the stock broke under recoil. :A Banana Sad:

the laminate stock didn't prove strong enough and cracked along the plies after about the 4th cartridge. the load wasn't anything over the top: 145gr of IMR 4350 under a 750gr Barnes X bullet for a an average of 2075fps.

-matt

Stug

It seems a .458 Win Mag and a .500 Jeffery is an accurate rifle out to 200 meters...I read this in various hunting magazines and re-loading manuals...Someday when I have scoped my .458 Win Mag Mannlicher Schoenauer I really want to try shooting out to 250 meters...I have seen a video where a person used his .416 Rigby as a long range rifle with excellent results...

I'm sure my 500 Jeffery is accurate way past 200 yards much like the buffalo guns of old, it's the holdover for me that really limits things. The 570g bullets start dropping like a rock much past 300 yards. Longest shot so far is a cow elk a 225 yards. I sight in 2.5" high at 100 yards that puts it dead on at 25 yards and 175 yards. So anything bigger than prairie dogs is just point and shoot out to 225 yards or so ... I would definitely shoot at an elk at 300 yards with it, but I think that's my (not the rifles) realistic limit with it.

well bad news for my 585 HE, on Sunday the stock broke under recoil. :A Banana Sad:

the laminate stock didn't prove strong enough and cracked along the plies after about the 4th cartridge. the load wasn't anything over the top: 145gr of IMR 4350 under a 750gr Barnes X bullet for a an average of 2075fps.

-matt

jeez @matt85 you have some crap luck with your rifles........now remember what i said about the paper bag and money? ;)

jeez @matt85 you have some crap luck with your rifles........now remember what i said about the paper bag and money? ;)

what is it with you and bags? :A Joint:

im saving money for a double now, but im not going to buy a 577 NE (least not this time). my goal is a double in 500 NE so for now i will have to settle for my current 585 HE. ive been talking with Mr. Hubel and he has an idea for an inexpensive stock that will handle the recoil. he says that some of his friends have been using Hogue stocks which are ugly plastic things but seem to shrug off the heavy recoil of this cartridge. best part is they are very cheap so even someone who is broke (me at the moment) can afford to get one.

once i have a proper double in 500 NE and ive hunted elephant, i can start considering another expensive gun.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.