Big Bore Addiction Group

A 500 NE double is a thing of beauty. I've always admired them from afar, out of my budget. Good luck Matt!

I stopped by Westley Richards in Bozeman, Mt last Friday to buy a pair of Courteney boots and the gentleman was kind enough to let me fondle some rifles. One was a stunning .470 NE about 10 years old, fit me like nothing I have ever shouldered! Price tag 85k, unfortunately my pocket was 84k short. I offered my liver as payment but I guess a single malt soaked filter isn't much of a bargaining chip!
Stop by their shop if any of you guys get up to Gods Country, well worth the time!
Cheers,
Cody

what is it with you and bags? :A Joint:

im saving money for a double now, but im not going to buy a 577 NE (least not this time). my goal is a double in 500 NE so for now i will have to settle for my current 585 HE. ive been talking with Mr. Hubel and he has an idea for an inexpensive stock that will handle the recoil. he says that some of his friends have been using Hogue stocks which are ugly plastic things but seem to shrug off the heavy recoil of this cartridge. best part is they are very cheap so even someone who is broke (me at the moment) can afford to get one.

once i have a proper double in 500 NE and ive hunted elephant, i can start considering another expensive gun.

-matt

(y) to the hunting elephant !

Before .40 -.49cal are renegaded as small bore :sneaky: thought I better post my regulation test from the range yesterday :A Band:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

These using 350g Swift A Frame in 450 NE double.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like the loads are working well, how much different is the elevation between the 480gr bullets and the 350gr bullets?

-matt

looks like the loads are working well, how much different is the elevation between the 480gr bullets and the 350gr bullets?

-matt
Matt, I think it's about 2inches if I remember correctly

@Fr8liner , looks good , what speeds where you getting on those loads ?
The last ones were running at just over 2,300, and so I have reduced the powder. I did not measure these speed but will do so next time.

I found that the 350grain with same powder as the 500grain obviously going faster seems to drift the two shots apart in previous trials and they strike further left.
If you drop the powder in the 500g they drift apart and also head left, they need their full 90grains and to be going at 2,190.

Well guys, I have finally purchased my first double Rifle! She isn't a fine British Double like has been in my hands during so many dreams since I was young. But I feel it is a fine starter double anyway. I have had in my mind a rifle with longer tubes, 26" would have been my preference, I got 23.5", ejectors, I got extractors, 500NE, I got 470NE but it's a start. One of those deals that couldn't be passed up. It shoots well and handles quickly. I bought it from a man that planned on taking her to Africa and since has given up the idea and he said he is glad that it will be used there instead of sitting in his safe. He bought it 10 years ago and never fired it. The regulation target shows Federal Trophy Bonded as the load. All I had on the shelf was Hornady DGX 500 gr and it shot great. POI was quite low and left of POA approximately 5" low and 5" left but the group was better than expected. I'm interested to see if POI changes that dramatically by using the Fed 500 TB load. The bullet hole near the bull was my 505 with a woodleigh SP, I was aiming at center of the large circle with the 470, this target is at 50 yards exactly from my rest.

image.jpg

My eyes getting older may be to blame for some of this, but my POA was identical on each barrel. I'm excited to do range work with this rifle and learn more about her, with well over a year to get her ready for the bush I have ample time. We fired several more after this group and results were fairly similar with mainly R/L elevation variation that I attribute to the guy behind the trigger rather than gun or ammo.
Thanks to all on here for all I've learned about these rifles before I picked one up for my own.
image.jpg

You guys are a wealth of knowledge, expensive bunch of SOB's to know but great none the less! Lol
Cheers,
Cody

Congrats Cody!

Congratz welcome to the double rifle club! Also your last comment is one of the nicest things most of us have been called in many moons:ROFLMAO: look forward to seeing your first safari with it.

Here we go again, with the lighter 350grain A Frame. Since the recoil is considerably lower with these bullets I thought to try and use the scope that came with my double. I have to add that the last time I used this scope, we became personally acquainted in a messy situation whilst using 500 grain Hornadys from a bench. I can include a picture one day:Jimlad:

Anyway this was the trial for group so we started at 40 metres to check that our new load was still as good as before. I decided to stick to using one barrel only for the time being rather than adding too many factors.
450NE - scoped 40metres.JPG

From there we moved back to 80 metres and tried again with the same barrel.
450NE - scoped 80metres.JPG

I was not very happy with this group, but the scope is the old T shaped reticle in a 1.5-4 power and the more power you add the thicker everything becomes. It has terrible eye relief which made me keep my distance.
I then threw 3 shots down the range with the top barrel at 80 metres and this photo shows the three sets of group in one picture.
450NE - Scoped groupings.jpg

I apologise if these are all lying on their side, maybe the mods can correct them. I thought they were pretty good and will be working on correcting the zero this weekend before moving back to 150metres:Watching:

Last edited by a moderator:
well @patsyzambia is nearly a member of the club :A Thumbs Up:, but will have to wait till this rifle arrives in zambia hopefully sometime later this year. its being built by larry amrine in ojai california. he has built me a couple inc the .458 lott on here somewhere and a .223 thats on another thread

its a .375 H&H and i think very nice
IMG_0916.JPG
IMG_0917.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG
IMG_0924.JPG

yup it will be nice to see it . we took patsys measurements from larrys instructions so it should fit her perfectly. it will be a bit scaled down for most people as she isnt that tall. its got a 22 inch barrel and a leupold scope in qd mounts....cant remember exactly which scope we got but one of the 1-4x20 ones or similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross