Big Bore Addiction Group

I'd shoot it just because, but when they put a scout scope on a rifle so that it won't hit you in the face and kill you I get concerned!!! :A Banana Sad:

I would think if they were going to be at SCI it would be on the website, but you can always email and ask.

well they do claim a 1000gr bullet at up to 2200fps! :eek:
I sent them an email asking if they are going to SCI and also how I could get a chance to try some of their ultra bore guns. if I ever get a chance to try their guns, ill let you know what the 700 AHR is like. :A Banana:

-matt

They should definitely let you shoot them Matt. You'd be advertising dollars well spent!!!! Unless one of those rifles had a feeding issue.... :A Blink:

Unless one of those rifles had a feeding issue.... :A Blink:

I do tend to be noisy about both things I like and things I dislike. feeding issues with a dangerous game rifle is outright unacceptable! :Rage:

if I like it, then ill sell it to others free of charge.
if I hate it, I will warn others against buying it.

-matt

I do tend to be noisy about both things I like and things I dislike. feeding issues with a dangerous game rifle is outright unacceptable! :Rage:

if I like it, then ill sell it to others free of charge.
if I hate it, I will warn others against buying it.

-matt

How it should be in a DG rifle.

Well I bought my first big bore in 416 Ruger I really like the gun. It shoots great. But.... It has a muzzle break so the verdicts still out on if I would like a shoulder cannon w/ out a break. I would however give my left arm for a nice 375 h&h double gun. Erik

im not sure how much of a difference those ear busters make in recoil reduction (never owned one) but the 416 is hardly difficult to master. my Winchester in 416 RM has no muzzle brake and once you learn to shoot it properly the recoil is actually very mild.

can you take the muzzle break off? (im not familiar with Ruger rifles)

-matt

Yes it can be removed. It cuts down a significant amount of recoil. I don't remember what the percentage is but its a lot. I am a bit recoil sensitive as I have torn my shoulder up pretty bad over the last few years. I haven't taken it off because I enjoy shooting it as it is. I'm sure as with anything standing and shooting off hand or with sticks wouldn't be bad at all but... I have no desire to shoot it off a bench w/out a brake.

the general rules when shooting big bores are:

1. don't shoot them off a bench
2. don't shoot them off a bench
3. let Matt try your rifle
4. don't shoot them off a bench

follow these and shooting big bores can be lots of fun!

-matt

Lol. You are welcome to shoot it anytime if your ever this way.

thank you, one of these days I plan on doing some piggy hunting in Texas. I will keep your offer in mind when I find my way down there. ill be sure to have some seriously oversized shoulder fired howitzer for you to try as well. :D

-matt

got an email response from AHR today and unfortunately they wont be at the SCI show. they did say they would try to find someone in my area with a 600 OK and see if they could set up a chance to shoot it.

another bit of bad news, i asked about the 577 T-rex and they told me that no one made brass for cartridge any more. they would make a gun chambered in the cartridge but id be out of luck trying to feed it. :(

i reall like the idea of a cartridge that duplicates the performance of the 577 NE in a bolt action rifle! i wonder if i could neck up the 505 Gibbs to .585". when i get off of work today ill meaure a Gibbs cartridge and see if its possible.

-matt

got an email response from AHR today and unfortunately they wont be at the SCI show. they did say they would try to find someone in my area with a 600 OK and see if they could set up a chance to shoot it.

another bit of bad news, i asked about the 577 T-rex and they told me that no one made brass for cartridge any more. they would make a gun chambered in the cartridge but id be out of luck trying to feed it. :(

i reall like the idea of a cartridge that duplicates the performance of the 577 NE in a bolt action rifle! i wonder if i could neck up the 505 Gibbs to .585". when i get off of work today ill meaure a Gibbs cartridge and see if its possible.

-matt

Matt,

Could you make a "belting die" to press a thin brass ring, down onto the .577 NE case ?
Then lathe the original rim ("flange") off ?
Next, keep your lathe spinning the cartridge and cut an extraction groove, resulting in a rimless-belted, 3" straight taper .577 cartridge ?
The belt of course being to maintain headspace in the absence of a shoulder .
Since the internal dimensions would be identical, simply handload with .577 NE specifications ?

Out,
Velo.

Last edited:
Velo Dog, that's not a bad idea but I lack the equipment and know-how to do it my self.

I found new hope in a nifty cartridge called the 585 Hubel Express. im still researching the cartridge so I don't know much about it yet but its a 3.25" strait case with a belt and the same rim as the 505 Gibbs. basically any rifle chambered for the 505 Gibbs should be able to be rebarreled to 585 HE. American Hunting Rifles produces a rifle in this chambering.

-matt

:A Bonk::E Oh Brother:yup its struck again but this is a :A Secret:so :E Lips Sealed: ;), this is all voodooracers fault from his thread on sending his .458lott to AHR. after reading it i looked at their website and under available there was a very nice .404 for sale...........:whistle: so a few emails to wayne later ,just sent him one to check if the money had arrived, and subject to that here is my new fix.......and that is it !!! i dont need anymore i am cured 45/70, .404jeff, .416rigby, 2x .458lotts, .470 and .500jeff. couldnt possibly need anything else :E Satisfied:...........:E Sweat:...........:E Nono::E Talk To The Hand:

Cliffs-404-008.jpg

Cliffs-404-006-300x119.jpg

Cliffs-404-007-300x96.jpg

Cliffs-404-012-300x149.jpg

Attachments

• Cliffs-404-006-300x119.jpg
    Cliffs-404-006-300x119.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Cliffs-404-012-300x149.jpg
    Cliffs-404-012-300x149.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Cliffs-404-007-300x96.jpg
    Cliffs-404-007-300x96.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Cliffs-404-008.jpg
    Cliffs-404-008.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 82
:A Banana:congratulations! :A Banana:

I eye humped that rifle a little bit myself when I was on there website. the wood on that rifle... I have no words. :A Worshipl:

-matt

:A Banana:congratulations! :A Banana:

I eye humped that rifle a little bit myself when I was on there website. the wood on that rifle... I have no words. :A Worshipl:

-matt

thanks ,yeah thats what kinda caught my eye in the first place.....must remember to do this in future....:A No Evil:

:A Bonk::E Oh Brother:yup its struck again but this is a :A Secret:so :E Lips Sealed: ;), this is all voodooracers fault from his thread on sending his .458lott to AHR. after reading it i looked at their website and under available there was a very nice .404 for sale...........:whistle: so a few emails to wayne later ,just sent him one to check if the money had arrived, and subject to that here is my new fix.......and that is it !!! i dont need anymore i am cured 45/70, .404jeff, .416rigby, 2x .458lotts, .470 and .500jeff. couldnt possibly need anything else :E Satisfied:...........:E Sweat:...........:E Nono::E Talk To The Hand:

That was sneaky!!! Does the madam know about this latest asset purchase?
I looked at that too... you better bring that out here for safe keeping!! The weather here is much more conducive to keeping such a fine rifle in perfect shape... better yet, put it in with the rest of my rifles so i can personally keep an eye on it for you.. you know, just in case!

That was sneaky!!! Does the madam know about this latest asset purchase?
I looked at that too... you better bring that out here for safe keeping!! The weather here is much more conducive to keeping such a fine rifle in perfect shape... better yet, put it in with the rest of my rifles so i can personally keep an eye on it for you.. you know, just in case!

jeez pete didnt you see the secret smileys!!!!of course she doesnt know........:E Nail Biter::E Worried:!!! it will just appear from storage where its been for awhile and been shipped to zambia......hopefully she wont even notice as its just a rifle and they all look the same ;):D.....just thought , i will have to bribe finn to keep quiet though..............:A Bulb:will tell him its his for when he is a bit older but i have to use it in the mean time....should work :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross