Best Red Dot/RMR for 458 Lott

I have two Vortex Venom 3MOA red dots.
One on a Springfield Armory XDm-9, the other on a Benelli SBE2.
Shooting 3" turkey loads in a 7.5# shotgun is similar to a big bore rifle.

I find shooting both of them quite easy once zeroed.
The SBE is also used for breaking clays, and it's like cheating with the red dot.
Once you have practiced with it on a regular basis, it becomes natural.

The only thing is there is no auto-shutdown feature on the Vortex and it pisses me off.
If I were to replace them, I'd get the Trijicon RMR 3.5MOA because of the closer ranges.
I'm sure you have your preference on a brand, but I like Trijicon products.

That said, I will be going with a Swaro 1-8x24 with the 4A-IF reticle on my 416RM DG rifle.
My eye likes this reticle and it comes up naturally for me.

Hi. Typo in my post. The Leupold CDS on my .458 Lott is programed for 500gr Barnes TSX not TTSX.

A simple question to start off with. Have you actually looked through a Z6i or other similar scope? The Z6i has a daylight bright red dot at the center of the reticle. That red dot, the true 1x power, and large eye box provide a superb sight picture. The reticle plays no part in using the Z6i in snapshots and as I said the scope acts like the standard red dot just with the option of variable power for longer shots. I dislike the standard red dot moved forward as the value of looking through the sight winds up with a decrease field of view... at the forward position one has to aim through the smaller window to find the dot. It is better on rear bridge or at breach of doubles where I have mine. As for ring and dot... it isn't bad and as for “killing”.. the “donut of death” reticle design is well regarded. Your discussion is valid for conventional scopes and your points are well taken but I think this new generation of scopes work well.

As Im from Austria, you can bet i have looked through every Swarovski more then once - and as i run a gunshop, you can bet i looked through all good optical things on the market. The "small window" as you state it doesnt exist, if you focus on the target and not on your optics. As you aim completely wrong with a red dot, you dont see whats way better on a good RD.

As a former professional soldier and gun instructor there, i learned from different top trainers - if u use your sights wrong, it doesnt matter what u screw to your rifle. There is an easy trick for learning focus - tape up the front lens of your red dot. This will force you to use both eyes open and focus on your target. Try to master this first, then we talk again, whats better - you will look to it from a different angle.

I have two Vortex Venom 3MOA red dots.
One on a Springfield Armory XDm-9, the other on a Benelli SBE2.
Shooting 3" turkey loads in a 7.5# shotgun is similar to a big bore rifle.

I find shooting both of them quite easy once zeroed.
The SBE is also used for breaking clays, and it's like cheating with the red dot.
Once you have practiced with it on a regular basis, it becomes natural.

The only thing is there is no auto-shutdown feature on the Vortex and it pisses me off.
If I were to replace them, I'd get the Trijicon RMR 3.5MOA because of the closer ranges.
I'm sure you have your preference on a brand, but I like Trijicon products.

That said, I will be going with a Swaro 1-8x24 with the 4A-IF reticle on my 416RM DG rifle.
My eye likes this reticle and it comes up naturally for me.
I know this is an old forum but I need some advice. My PH would like to have a red dot sight for his CZ 550 in 458 Lott. He would like me to bring one to him when I leave in 2 weeks. What mounting system would you recommend? He would prefer to be able to remove the red dot and use the irons if necessary. Is there a quick disconnect base/mount that would work? This is important to me since he will be using this rifle to back me up on a lion hunt this year! Thanks for your help!

I know this is an old forum but I need some advice. My PH would like to have a red dot sight for his CZ 550 in 458 Lott. He would like me to bring one to him when I leave in 2 weeks. What mounting system would you recommend? He would prefer to be able to remove the red dot and use the irons if necessary. Is there a quick disconnect base/mount that would work? This is important to me since he will be using this rifle to back me up on a lion hunt this year! Thanks for your help!
He would like to use the Vortex venom sight.

Picatinny rail mount would be removable pretty fast with a QR connection. I would recommend a Trijicon rather than a Vortex though, they are designed for heavy recoil not sure about Vortex.

I have an AHR base for the Trijicon. I think I may swap to the Leupold Delta Point. That came recommended by Wayne and you can replace the battery from the top side. The Trijicon needs to be removed from the base to swap batteries. Unless there is a new model? I'd just as soon buy a new base, mount the Delta Point sight and be done. Even if it only requires annual battery changes why disassemble more than you have to.

I have an AHR QD mount that I use. Contact Wayne at AHR. He has different models I believe now with different hole patterns.

Koodoo62 you may want to look at the post some months ago by Frederik (ps read his PDF for better details). He describes a red dot mount for CZ550 which replaces the rear express sight. The mount incorporates a backup iron express sight which can be used in the unlikely case of red dot failure. His system leaves the scope mount dovetails free for use with an optic if so desired. Best of all for your PH, the mount is made in South Africa.

20191205_134744.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

I opted for the Trijicon SRO in 1 MOA and I'm very happy with it target acquisition is super fast and with the 1 moa I can shoot a good grouping and longer shots. The bigger window helps to acquire the dot faster and you don't need to look for it like I have seen with some RMR setups.
You can always make the dot brighter that makes it bigger than 1 MOA. It does not switch off on its on and you can stalk and hunt a whole week long or longer without any issues. Battery is suppose to last 3 years with middle brightness setting but will exchange every year. It is not switched on while in the safe.

What is the story with Noblex Docter, can you still get them or not?

What is the story with Noblex Docter, can you still get them or not?

I’ve spoken to the Polish importer/distributor a few months ago and was told the company went belly up, so there’s just remaining stock available. I was surprised as Noblex’s website is still running. On the other hand I got the information from a reputable company who did not benefit from telling me, a retail customr something that’s not true.

@koodoo62 - wanted to let you know I have experienced a failure of one of my Vortex Venom reflex sights earlier this year. It happened on my Turkey shotgun and I had to resort to using irons. The one on my pistol continues to run strong.

As for what to mount, I believe the other members have covered it quite well. Leupold, Trijicon and Noblex are all quality brands, although personally I’d prefer a Trijicon RMR even though you have to remove the mount to change the batteries. Low profile, durability and reliability being my key points. This will be what goes on my pistol when the other Vortex dies.

For a mount, I’d look for something that mounts to the rear square bridge that has the indexing notch that is also quick release for being able to switch to irons. I sold my CZ550 a while ago and I never closely researched this option, so my knowledge on it is limited. However I’m quite sure your PH will want to keep his iron sights in tact, so a sight base that replaces the rear sight is most likely not an option.

I may not have explained it too well, but the South African red dot mount that replaces the rear sight, also incorporates its own iron sight similar to the express sight it replaces.
1627466504953.png

ps I originaly had the same reservation before I rear Frederik's pdf article. This arrangement has the advantage of being on the same height as the original iron sights whereas all the Action mounted QD mounts place the sight higher.

Hunter have you used your base yet? Apex Predator mount?

I have not used the V only yet but it is also just there in case of emergency if your reflex sight would fail.
I'm sure it will work but it might not be sighted in properly but for charging stuff at close quarteers it should work gret.

I have a Heym 500 NE double Express rifle and my question to the EXPERTS...What do you think about the Doctor Optic Sight III? I wish to get a red dot scope for my double but can't make up my mind on the best for my double.
Any comments appreciated.
IMG_0458.JPG

I am doing my research on a Docter Optic sight III for my Heym 500NE Double Rifle. I would love to hear what y'all expert think about it or other recommendations which one I should get.
Thanks in Advance

I have an AHR base for the Trijicon. I think I may swap to the Leupold Delta Point. That came recommended by Wayne and you can replace the battery from the top side. The Trijicon needs to be removed from the base to swap batteries. Unless there is a new model? I'd just as soon buy a new base, mount the Delta Point sight and be done. Even if it only requires annual battery changes why disassemble more than you have to.
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I talked to Wayne at AHR this morning and at his advice I ordered a QD mount from him and a Leupold Delta Point from Midway. Both should be here in plenty of time for my departure flight August 10. I will feel a lot better knowing my PH/wingman/backup will be happy with the sights on his 458 Lott.

Still doing research on a Red dot Scope. I am now looking at the Aimpoint Micro H2 scope.
It is for my Heym 500 NE Double Rifle. It will be used for Buffalo,Hippo and other dangerous game. Here are 2 questions ...Should I sight it in at 50 or 100 yds and should I get the 2 MOA Dot size or 4 MOA Dot size? Any pro or cons with this Red Dot Scope?

I’ve spoken to the Polish importer/distributor a few months ago and was told the company went belly up, so there’s just remaining stock available. I was surprised as Noblex’s website is still running. On the other hand I got the information from a reputable company who did not benefit from telling me, a retail customr something that’s not true.
Interesting. You see, I heard that Noblex was the revitalised Docter.

I'll make some other enquiries.

Scrummy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg