Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I have two Vortex Venom 3MOA red dots.
One on a Springfield Armory XDm-9, the other on a Benelli SBE2.
Shooting 3" turkey loads in a 7.5# shotgun is similar to a big bore rifle.

I find shooting both of them quite easy once zeroed.
The SBE is also used for breaking clays, and it's like cheating with the red dot.
Once you have practiced with it on a regular basis, it becomes natural.

The only thing is there is no auto-shutdown feature on the Vortex and it pisses me off.
If I were to replace them, I'd get the Trijicon RMR 3.5MOA because of the closer ranges.
I'm sure you have your preference on a brand, but I like Trijicon products.

That said, I will be going with a Swaro 1-8x24 with the 4A-IF reticle on my 416RM DG rifle.
My eye likes this reticle and it comes up naturally for me.

Ed Lally

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, Canada, South Africa
Hi. Typo in my post. The Leupold CDS on my .458 Lott is programed for 500gr Barnes TSX not TTSX.

austrianhunter

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Upper Austrian hunting federation and Lower Austrian hunting federation
Hunted
Austria, Germany, Sweden, Croatia, Slovakia
A simple question to start off with. Have you actually looked through a Z6i or other similar scope? The Z6i has a daylight bright red dot at the center of the reticle. That red dot, the true 1x power, and large eye box provide a superb sight picture. The reticle plays no part in using the Z6i in snapshots and as I said the scope acts like the standard red dot just with the option of variable power for longer shots. I dislike the standard red dot moved forward as the value of looking through the sight winds up with a decrease field of view... at the forward position one has to aim through the smaller window to find the dot. It is better on rear bridge or at breach of doubles where I have mine. As for ring and dot... it isn't bad and as for “killing”.. the “donut of death” reticle design is well regarded. Your discussion is valid for conventional scopes and your points are well taken but I think this new generation of scopes work well.

As Im from Austria, you can bet i have looked through every Swarovski more then once - and as i run a gunshop, you can bet i looked through all good optical things on the market. The "small window" as you state it doesnt exist, if you focus on the target and not on your optics. As you aim completely wrong with a red dot, you dont see whats way better on a good RD.

As a former professional soldier and gun instructor there, i learned from different top trainers - if u use your sights wrong, it doesnt matter what u screw to your rifle. There is an easy trick for learning focus - tape up the front lens of your red dot. This will force you to use both eyes open and focus on your target. Try to master this first, then we talk again, whats better - you will look to it from a different angle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GayV87329

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh