Best "Flat Shooting" caliber to take to the "Dark Continent"

For quite a lot of situations worldwide where long range shooting was announced, I always used cartridges like the 300 RUM, 340 WBY-Magnum or 9,3x64. With such cartridges, very different kind of game can be shot at long range. In particular the cartridges 340 WBY-Magnum and 9,3x64 seem to me to be well suited for Africa.

Dave I nominate a 12 bore Paradox Gun. Its just as flat shooting as the Dark Continent is named based on skin color.....

I can't even think of a response to compare with this nonsense.

Starting with 6.5Creedmoor should get you a suspension at least.

Secondly, the Great Guru has tried to enlighten us to the fast .25 cartridges.

Now think about it because the .257 projectile in the same given weight is going to slip through the air faster.

Think back to the .257Roberts (aka .257Bob)

Now why didn't the great Hornady engineers and R&D team think about that or consult The Colonel who would have given them guidance to create something even greater than the 6.5Creedmoor, we could have had the .25Nelson-Whelen produced on that same case and save on any version of improved.

I was going to say . 300wm but Y'all got me started and I just rambled on again.

The 7mm prc is the one. It shoots so flat you don't even need to compensate for drop. just point and shoot.
Hmmm..... I thought the .338PRC might be better with heavier bullets? Might be able to find cartridges and brass for it?

Flat shooting cartridges are actually available in almost all calibers, also the biggest, so that the choice of such cartridges must be made dependent on the game species that you may eventually want to shoot at greater distances in Africa. Such events are rare in Africa, but it's always better to be prepared in case the need arises.

The cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum, for example, allows something like this at longer distances and on very different game species, as far as one is able to shoot in various positions with a scoped rifle of this caliber.
I would go with the .50BMG cartridge before a .460 Weatherby. Unlike Weatherby brass, there's lots of surplus brass for reloading and the Barrett rifles are accurate out to two miles. For the really tough DG animals, Woodleigh makes/made depleted uranium bullets in 750gr and 850gr. for the .50. You can't find those in a .460!

My 458 SOCOM is pretty flat shooting out to about 50 yards.. and delivers the same energy downrange as a 45-70 (trapdoor).. so it should be good for buff hunting right? It shoots the same projectile as the 458 Win Mag that IvW loves so much as well (bonus!!!!!) ;)

I'll need Henry at RiflePermits to help me figure out how to get an AR15 onto the Dark Continent though... I think my problem isn't my flat shooting caliber.. its the chosen platform...

sigh....
Hey, if that guy in the video on here sometime ago can shoot Cape Buffalo with a 10mm pistol, surely you can bring your AR? Just don't mention the "Dark" Continent. Call it the Land Up and Over? LOL

I can't even think of a response to compare with this nonsense.

Starting with 6.5Creedmoor should get you a suspension at least.

Secondly, the Great Guru has tried to enlighten us to the fast .25 cartridges.

Now think about it because the .257 projectile in the same given weight is going to slip through the air faster.

Think back to the .257Roberts (aka .257Bob)

Now why didn't the great Hornady engineers and R&D team think about that or consult The Colonel who would have given them guidance to create something even greater than the 6.5Creedmoor, we could have had the .25Nelson-Whelen produced on that same case and save on any version of improved.

I was going to say . 300wm but Y'all got me started and I just rambled on again.
I don't know? The .35 BNE (Banzai Nelson Express) is pretty "horizontal" shooting? Anyway, I've added some nonsensical responses in keeping with this thread. LOL

You say this joking but I’m surprised Weatherby doesn’t spend their efforts trying to concoct this rather than worry about producing ammo and brass for things they already have. I sent an email to them the other day telling them that the world was ok without the development of their RPM line of cartridges but I need 338-378 brass. The reply was get on the back order list. My life’s standing order after owning and returning a Mark V several times was that I’d rather have a sister in a whorehouse than another Weatherby in my gun safe! Yet I fell into a good deal trap on this 338-378! I know, I’m a weak man and good thing I don’t have a sister!

Dave, I have been waiting for a thread like this! Lol

This has been my point of view for a long time. Then I found a 6.5 Wby RPM (Backcountry II Ti) on the shelf at 3 Bears Alaska, and mumbled all the way home. My wife insisted I buy it, because I'd be unbearable otherwise (yes folks, I'll keep her, back off). It has not disappointed in any way, unlike all the previous Wby's I've owned. Non-excessive freebore, triggertech trigger, and 6.5PRC/264Win perf with an actual magazine capacity. Just because I consider it a piss poor DG, doesn't mean it hasn't been a superb above the treeline rig. It isn't about the cartridge per se, it all just integrates very nicely. Shoots extremely accurately, reloads easy, and shoots easy. Well, and the NX8 doesn't suck either, but that is a different company. I have a 6.5PRC, and had a 264 Win and 284 Win, and have dealt with the 6.5-300. Seems an unlikely source, but I really believe this one is a winner. I have zero experience with the 338 RPM so I make no warranty.

So I am a little surprised and disappointed that someone hasn't posed this question yet, along with the obvious answer.

The best "flat shooting" caliber to take to the "Dark Continent" The 6.5 Creedmoor of course.

:A Stirring: :A Stirring: :A Stirring: :A Stirring: :A Stirring: :A Stirring: :A Stirring: :A Stirring: :E Happy:

Your an arrogant ass. I kinda like that in a pilot ;-)

I would go with the .50BMG cartridge before a .460 Weatherby. Unlike Weatherby brass, there's lots of surplus brass for reloading and the Barrett rifles are accurate out to two miles. For the really tough DG animals, Woodleigh makes/made depleted uranium bullets in 750gr and 850gr. for the .50. You can't find those in a .460!

My posting about the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum was meant seriously.

I hunted in Africa with my old Brevex rifle caliber 460 WBY-Magnum for years, mainly shooting buffalo with it, but since I only ever had this rifle with me, I also shot many other species with it and that sometimes also at longer distances.

My posting about the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum was meant seriously.

I hunted in Africa with my old Brevex rifle caliber 460 WBY-Magnum for years, mainly shooting buffalo with it, but since I only ever had this rifle with me, I also shot many other species with it and that sometimes also at longer distances.
I believe you, but who needs an artillery piece for hunting?

The cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum is not an artillery piece but the best hunting cartridge caliber 45 there is.

The cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum but is not the topic, just a flat shooting big bore cartridge among others.

The cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum is not an artillery piece but the best hunting cartridge caliber 45 there is.

The cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum but is not the topic, just a flat shooting big bore cartridge among others.
Too many broken noses, black eyes, and busted shoulders do not agree. On paper it is awesome. In hands it is silly, and this is from a USMC recoil bitch. Some things are just not practical for most folks. Until animals develop armour, there easier ways too disrupt the nervous system. There is a reason the 460 is the prime wound-a-be. I've lost track of how many times I've been asked to zero one at the range, because the user was twitchy about it. I'll take Jeff instead.

USMC workflow:
F@ck that hurt:
Wait, I'm immortal and above pain.
Is anyone looking? F@ck. Now I must do this.
Yeah, there is blood, but I can make this shot.
Yeah!!! X ring. Wait... something is wrong.
F@ck that hurt:
Repeat:

Last edited:
Like 257 or 270 weatherby.the 6.5 doesn't do anymore than my 6mm Remington which I would not take to Africa.
There is a lot of good hunting to be had with the 6mm cartridges. My son shot more game than I did with his .243W. Not everything weighs 200kg +. Your 6mm Rem would make a great second rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois