Best Distance to Zero a 416 Rigby

According to Pirre vander walts book African dangerous cartrages the green band on that rifle is up to 75m using a 400gr point. http://www.chuckhawks.com/african_dangerous_game_cartridges_review.htm

As my as my client rifle and second back up I have a 416 rem mag running Peregrine monolithics at 2350fps and it has worked time and again zeroed at 75m works like a dream.
This would be used on a DG hunt and plains game inside 200m as the scope is a 1.5-4X25.

Once you know how the rifle shoot i am sure you could shoot it comfortable all the way out to 300m ( good glass will help)

Shot Shot

Jono keep it simple and realistic. If you zero the 416 Rigby with a 400 gr bullet on 75 meter it will shoot 2,5 mm (o,1") high on 50 meter.... it's a bit hard to say when the bullet diameter is 10,6 mm... so if it's zero on 50 meter or 75 for big game is irrelevant for this calibre...
Only my two cents,
Michael

50 yards. This is a dangerous game gun, so you should be that close or closer. And if you're dead on at 50, you will be near enough at 100 that you won't have to adjust at all.

If you're taking long shots with your .416, I'd think it was time to get another rifle!

The time of the "African Battery" with a bunch of rifles seems to be gone long since.

Many people have only one gun when they go to Africa.

A .416 Rigby with good iron sights and a scope one detachable mount, give you the opportunity to handle the long shot on planes game with your scope.

And with the iron sights, you can to deal with the angry one in hand to hand combat.

HWL

Jono keep it simple and realistic. If you zero the 416 Rigby with a 400 gr bullet on 75 meter it will shoot 2,5 mm (o,1") high on 50 meter.... it's a bit hard to say when the bullet diameter is 10,6 mm... so if it's zero on 50 meter or 75 for big game is irrelevant for this calibre...
Only my two cents,
Michael

After reading the book it made sense after meeting the man it worked time and again.
It really is irrelevant when you look at it like that 75 or 50 its personal preference.

Read the book and give me your idea it would be very interesting to hear you opinion.

So simple - Zero at the distance you feel comfortable at 25 -50 -75
You will shoot your Buffalo at anything from 15 to 120 meters so just be prepared.
I think is the crux

Folks Art is a good shot at whatever distance with a pistol. With a 6.5 which is his favorite I suspect he is good at most any distance as well. One day at the range with his 416 was just a taste of what it will be like on his buff hunt.
@Shootist43 what scope are you going to mount on the big fella?

Charlie the rifle came with a Nikon African 1-4 power scope, it has a German #4 reticle. Just to bring some closure to this thread, I did zero the scope at 75 yards. I chose that distance at a matter of practicality. I figured that I wouldn't be shooting DG at 100 yards. We discussed zeroing the rifle at 50 yards but thought that might be to close. The compromise we arrived at was 75 yards. Judging from the ballistics that others have provided, it seems like I made a good choice.

Thanks everyone for offering your thoughts and insight.

Charlie the rifle came with a Nikon African 1-4 power scope, it has a German #4 reticle. Just to bring some closure to this thread, I did zero the scope at 75 yards. I chose that distance at a matter of practicality. I figured that I wouldn't be shooting DG at 100 yards. We discussed zeroing the rifle at 50 yards but thought that might be to close. The compromise we arrived at was 75 yards. Judging from the ballistics that others have provided, it seems like I made a good choice.

Thanks everyone for offering your thoughts and insight.

75 yards seems reasonable. Were I you however I'd take two shots each at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards so you know exactly.............but I'm a bit on the OCD side with these things. I'd be surprised if you're more than 1" above/below the zero at 75. Just not much arc and/or time for gravity to have any significant impact.

I zero my RMR topped .416 Rigby at 25-yds/m with the 400gr A-Frame. That is also zero at 100-yds/m (computed on ballistic calculator, confirmed at actual range). That trajectory gives this particular round with my rifle a point-blank-range of 200-yds/m and places the round within a six (6) inch area. The 400gr Break-Away solid flies different and drops quicker but, for DG, there is less than a 1-inch deviation from 0 to 100-yds/m which allows you to brain the quarry with a POA/POI hold.
Full disclosure, I have yet to hunt Africa (first safari is booked for next July) but, I have been using this method and ballistic calculation and work-up for more than 20-years "on the job" so to speak.

I'm a new owner of a Rigby Big Game chambered in 416 Rigby that I will take to Africa next year for my second cape buffalo hunt. I really appreciate all of the responses and advice on this thread. At the public range where I practice they limit scoped rifles to the 100 yard range and iron sights to a separate 50 yard range. I put a Leupold VX-6HD 1-6X24 CDS scope on the Rigby and zeroed it at 100 yards. Shoots great groups at that distance. I will have a chance to try it at closer distances on a friend's ranch property and dial the scope down to 1 with the red dot turned on. It should function much like the RMR I have on my 375 H&H double rifle.
I don't reload, so I agree with other posters that ammo isn't cheap, and I usually limit my range practice to only 2 or 3 groups of 3 rounds. At the range, you tend to flinch a bit after 6 or 8 rounds of 416 Rigby anyway!

I sight everything from 270 Win, 375 Weatherby Mag and 500 Jeffery 2 1/2" high at 100 yards. That way they're all dead on at 25 yards (if you're using a scope) and dead on again at 275 yards, 225 yards, and 175 yards respectively. Point and shoot even the 500 Jeffery out to 200 yards without concerning yourself about distance. It's hell on jackrabbits!

I like to zero mine ~1.6” high at 100 yds. Result is only ~1” of variation between 25 and 175 yds. This would be scoped for a mix bag hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross