Bailey Bradshaw falling block double

A little thread revival...

It took nearly 5 years, but I ordered a rising block at DSC last week.

Bailey's booth was right next to John Sharp's...so four days looking at the rifles and talking with Bailey was too much for me.

Have been on the road since the show ended, but as soon as I get home I will be mailing off the Turkish Walnut and a dummy round!
Congratulations!!
 
A little thread revival...

It took nearly 5 years, but I ordered a rising block at DSC last week.

Bailey's booth was right next to John Sharp's...so four days looking at the rifles and talking with Bailey was too much for me.

Have been on the road since the show ended, but as soon as I get home I will be mailing off the Turkish Walnut and a dummy round!
What caliber?
 
A little thread revival...

It took nearly 5 years, but I ordered a rising block at DSC last week.

Bailey's booth was right next to John Sharp's...so four days looking at the rifles and talking with Bailey was too much for me.

Have been on the road since the show ended, but as soon as I get home I will be mailing off the Turkish Walnut and a dummy round!

Very cool!

If I had to spend 4 days looking at the prototype twist lock he had on the table I’m pretty sure I would have succumbed as well…

I’m still half tempted to drive to Longview just to ask to see that thing again…
 
I have been vacillating a bit on caliber. Bouncing from one rimmed cartridge to another.

I must always have a 45-70. And my wife would only greenlight this project if I promised I would never sell the rifle, lol.

So I think I’m going to do 45-70 and then probably rationalize several other 45-70s currently in the stable.

I do have some months to change my mind.
 
I have been vacillating a bit on caliber. Bouncing from one rimmed cartridge to another.

I must always have a 45-70. And my wife would only greenlight this project if I promised I would never sell the rifle, lol.

So I think I’m going to do 45-70 and then probably rationalize several other 45-70s currently in the stable.

I do have some months to change my mind.
I think that would be a really cool choice. American double in an American cartridge. Sounds like it would be a blast!
 
Very cool!

If I had to spend 4 days looking at the prototype twist lock he had on the table I’m pretty sure I would have succumbed as well…

I’m still half tempted to drive to Longview just to ask to see that thing again…
Not very far from DFW! Just saying..
 
I think that would be a really cool choice. American double in an American cartridge. Sounds like it would be a blast!
I’m doing a single barrel though, not a double.
 
If you are looking for a old western caliber. 38/55 or 40/65 or 45/70-110 would all be interesting
 
Instead of 45-70, I would do 450/400. That way you could shoot anything, anywhere from elephant on down.

Beautiful rifles for sure.
 
Very cool!

If I had to spend 4 days looking at the prototype twist lock he had on the table I’m pretty sure I would have succumbed as well…

I’m still half tempted to drive to Longview just to ask to see that thing again…
I thought that was you hanging around Bailey‘s booth like a vulture, lol. We’ve only met once, and it was years ago.

That is a slick idea he put together - Bailey has quite a mind!
 
Instead of 45-70, I would do 450/400. That way you could shoot anything, anywhere from elephant on down.

Beautiful rifles for sure.
This rifle will be for domestic use only. But it sounds like you already know what caliber you will do yours in!
 
If you are looking for a old western caliber. 38/55 or 40/65 or 45/70-110 would all be interesting
I already told Bailey I want a throat on this 45-70 so I have better options for seating longer bullets. That’s why I was going to send a dummy.

I might just have him go ahead and run a 45-90 reamer in it.
 
Can’t wait to see it!
Here is the wood.

IMG_1601.jpeg
 
A little thread revival...

It took nearly 5 years, but I ordered a rising block at DSC last week.

Bailey's booth was right next to John Sharp's...so four days looking at the rifles and talking with Bailey was too much for me.

Have been on the road since the show ended, but as soon as I get home I will be mailing off the Turkish Walnut and a dummy round!
Have you received your rifle yet? How is it? I’m thinking about ordering one of his doubles.
 
Have you received your rifle yet? How is it? I’m thinking about ordering one of his doubles.
Looking through this old thread, I have to laugh at how many changes I have made to this rifle over the past 18 months.

Poor Bailey must feel like a custom home builder being designed on the fly by a committee of...never mind!

We are finally settled on calibers...yes plural. I am having him do a switch-barrel for me; 45-100 and 30 Super Flanged Magnum.

The 45-100 will have an octagon barrel and slightly taller iron sights to accommodate the higher comb needed to shoot the 30 Super with a scope.

The rifle is being worked on now. I will post it up in a separate thread when it is done (won't be too long, unless I make more changes).

Starline makes 45-100 brass and at 2.6" length (and stout) this will essentially be a rimmed 458 Winchester Magnum. The 26" barrel will likely let me easily match the top 458 loads.

The Super 30 will have a 26 or 27 inch barrel and a long throat to allow seating a 220gr Nosler Partition to 3.9" OAL. Based on my experience with a 26" barreled and long-throated 300 H&H, I expect this two-barrel rifle to be capable of hunting anything pretty much anywhere.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,337
Messages
1,573,260
Members
169,730
Latest member
loylisadre1982
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top