Assembling an Africa Battery

I like your choices, as my own is fairly similar. My African rifles include a .270, .338 Win Mag, .375 H&H (which is almost finished at the rifle builder), and .416 Hoffman. All are on Model 70 actions, all but the .338 are pre-64 actions and each rifle is fitted with a fiberglass stock. Leupold VX-5 scopes top each rifle. All are matched closely in regard to stocks and triggers so no matter which rifle I’m using it feels and shoots like the others.
I typically take my .338 and .416 when Buffalo or other heavy game are on license. The .270 & .338 when no DG. If I’m only taking a single rifle it’s the .375, which is why I’m adding it to my collection. I’ve got to hunt elephants at least one more time so that’ll Be the .416 & .375.

I also have pre-64‘s in .264 and .30-06 but have never taken them to Africa. I guess I should some day. The .264 would be a wonderful rifle for a Masailand hunt. At this point, I only want to add one more rifle and if I do it’ll be a .470 NE to replace the old Rigby boxlock I sold many years ago. If I get that .470, it’ll be the only rifle I shoot that’s not a model 70.

I’d like to start to assemble an Africa/worldwide game battery of guns.
I’ve got a bolt action 375 H&H being built at the moment by an English maker. I figured that was a good one to start with as an all rounder and I can give it a quick test run on a water buff next September.
I’m thinking I can get sequentially numbered rifles and have something to leave the children. Well the right handed one anyway.
I’m thinking that four would be about right.
275, 300handh, 375 and 416 would cover all the bases but grateful for any other suggestions
For Africa I like the .458 WM for large/dangerous game and the .300 Win Mag for everything else. It is hard to travel with more than two rifles and ammo is available almost everywhere if yours is lost.
The .375 is very versatile and the .30-06 will work on anything smaller than cape buffalo. Ammunition is also widely available for both.

Great caliber choices. The 275 and 300 overlap a bit. If you wanted to, for budget reasons, drop the 275, you could. But if you want one go for all of them!

IMO:

If the .300 H&H and .375 H&H are going to stay in the African battery:

If centerfire rifles only:

Add:

A much smaller rifle (.222 or .223)
A stopping rifle (.458 Win, 458 Lott, or something with more muzzle energy)

If anything is on the table:

Add:

A 22 Long Rifle
A 12 Gauge shotgun

The .300 and .375 can kill anything you need them to.

Doug brings up an excellent point about lost ammo or at least being seperated from it for a period of time.

When I first went to Africa the ammo could be in the check-in bag, the last time I went, a year ago, it had to be in a locked box designed for ammo or a handgun. That makes a minimum of three checked bags with the ammo box being the smallest. This makes the possibility of it getting lost at least for a short period of time "separated" a real concern.

You said the battery was for Africa/worldwide, with that in mind, in my experience you can always find just about anywhere in the world, the 308 win, 30/06, 300 win mag, 458 win mag. Your 275 Rigby is also a good choice because of course it is a time proven round but also it is a 7X57, however you may have to hunt for ammo (especially in a good bullet), if yours is lost.

If the former colony was British the shops will have more of the English rounds, if German you will see more 8X57, 9.3X62 etc. Traditions sometimes die hard.

The 458 Lott would be an excellent choice for the heavy, as it also gives you the flexibility to effectively use 458 win mag in it in a pinch, while giving you a good 100 fps to 200 fps over the 458 WM with Lott ammo.

We like to think the classics ammo would be available anywhere in Africa, but in fact they can be as rare as hens teeth. True the PH can probably find some somewhere but getting them out to you can cost time and a lot of money.

Most PH's/outfitters would probably have several boxes of the above on hand.

I have 2 guns I have hunted with in Africa, .308 and .375H&H. These 2 guns have served me very well. This fall I did buy a 9.3x74R double and intend to take it on an upcoming trip. In fact I'd like to start taking animals I have previously taken with this new double. There are many good African calibers, good luck building your battery of guns.

I like your choices, as my own is fairly similar. My African rifles include a .270, .338 Win Mag, .375 H&H (which is almost finished at the rifle builder), and .416 Hoffman. All are on Model 70 actions, all but the .338 are pre-64 actions and each rifle is fitted with a fiberglass stock. Leupold VX-5 scopes top each rifle. All are matched closely in regard to stocks and triggers so no matter which rifle I’m using it feels and shoots like the others.
I typically take my .338 and .416 when Buffalo or other heavy game are on license. The .270 & .338 when no DG. If I’m only taking a single rifle it’s the .375, which is why I’m adding it to my collection. I’ve got to hunt elephants at least one more time so that’ll Be the .416 & .375.

I also have pre-64‘s in .264 and .30-06 but have never taken them to Africa. I guess I should some day. The .264 would be a wonderful rifle for a Masailand hunt. At this point, I only want to add one more rifle and if I do it’ll be a .470 NE to replace the old Rigby boxlock I sold many years ago. If I get that .470, it’ll be the only rifle I shoot that’s not a model 70.
My choices would almost be identical except I’d substitute a fast .338, like a .340 Wby or .338 RUM instead of the Winchester.
.270 Win: general PG
.338 RUM: larger PG and long range
.375 H&H: Universal
.416 (take your pick): DG
Mix and match as needed. Might add a .30/06 and or a 7x57.

As a guy that asked a very similar question almost a year ago and now has had a .458 Lott, .416 Rigby, .375 H&H and .300 win mag, I would suggest shooting and hunting with the .375 H&H and then make any decisions from there.

From the perspective of an heirloom, a well hunted single gun will mean more to your son than a big group of guns. It will be “dad’s gun” versus one of many in a set.

When I did my first trip,and saying would be my only trip I started with a 375 HH.
Now after 4 trips, 5 Buffalo and over 20 plains game. I have decided I have the best 3 gun rifle combo that suites me.
300 win mag, 375 HH, 458 Lott. I think that a persons rifle line up all depends on the person also. There is no right or wrong in what you choose. It's what works best for you. I am adding one more that is in process right now at Matrix. CZ 458 win mag that will be fitted with Trijicon RMR. I decided I needed at least one red dot rifle.

You're not alone in your thought process. This last summer a gun dealer friend of mine took delivery of a set of 4 bolt rifles built by HH for a gent in Detroit. I guess the fellow flew his own jet over there and committed to the deal, etc, then 3 years later they were delivered. Incredibly beautiful, 240, 300, 375, 400 HH. All had appropriate engraving for caliber, ostrich leather recoil pads, the works. As all 4 were laying there in front of me I quite frankly was on overload, I wanted to take pics but he didn't think that was appropriate. There was so much going on its hard to remember all the details but I do remember leaving there thinking even if I had the $ not sure I would go this far with things LOL. It was a 600k deal. But I guess when you can do such things its all relative.

I personally have 5 rifles that will never leave my possession, as far as big critter rifles, I could narrow it down to 3 if I had to but wouldn't want to:

Goudy/Waldron 338 Mauser 98
Mark Moon 375HH Mauser 98
GMA-Dennis Olson 416 Rigby
GMA -500 Jeffery
Manton & Co pre war 470 NE Best Boxlock

...and I also agree with the comment from an heirloom perspective, one gun that went everywhere with you has more value than 4 used sparingly. In a generation or two they'll all be sold off anyway...LOL

All very sensible choices. Suggestions, however...

- swap out the .275 for a 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoënauer
- get your .300 H&H in a Farquharson action
- consider a .404 Jeffrey or .425 Westley Richards in place of the .416 Rigby

In addition, if money is not an obstacle...

- a 12 or 16-bore Paradox
- a .470 double rifle

You can approach this from several directions Classic cal's vs modern or combos of both.

Classic Bolt
22 hornet, 7x57, (9.3x62 or 375H&H) 404 Jeffery

Classic Double
7x57R, 9.3x74, 450/400, 577NE

Modern
223, 300WM, 375Ruger, 458Lott

You would need to cover from small to shake the earth when they drop animals. and there is a huge number of combinations possible. You will need to select small, medium and big bores that overlap a little bit and you will have your needs covered. Don't forget to put the best glass you can afford on the appropriate rifle. If you can handle the large bores 50 cal and larger you could use that as your biggest rifle. Then take them to the range and shot all of them a lot. Finally get in good enough shape to be able to follow buffalo or elephant all day while carrying your chosen rifle. It does no good to have a rifle that will do the job and you are so tired that you can't make the shoot after a few days in the bush.

Depending upon the menu and if you include a double or want all bolt actions

Double Included
Merkel - .500NE
Pre-64 - .375 H&H
Pre-64 - .300 H&H or .300WM
Pre-64 - .220 Swift, .243, or .257 Roberts

If we're going all bolt actions I'd swap the Merkel for a M70 in .458WM.

I like my Pre-64's for Africa, but I've also got a Rem 700 in .257Wby that might make an appearance, along with a Rem 700 in .300 Win Mag if hunting somewhere with 400yd or more opportunities.

So far in 4 Safaris - 20ish animals have fallen to the .375 H&H, a single Impala to the .300 H&H, and 2 animals to my Hoyt

The Battery I have been using till 1989:
-.375 Holland & Holland Magnum (whatever rifle my white hunter supplies)
-.30-06 Springfield (whatever rifle my white hunter supplies)
-12 Gauge (2 3/4") Sikender single barrel

The Battery I've been using since 1989:
-.375 Holland & Holland Magnum (whatever rifle my white hunter supplies)
-7x57mm Mauser Churchill Gun Makers Model Deluxe
-12 Gauge 3" Magnum Beretta Model 626E

The Battery I dream of one day:
-.600 Nitro Express Butch Searcy & Co. boxlock ejector double rifle
-7x57mm Mauser Churchill Gun Makers Model Deluxe
-12 Gauge 3" Magnum Beretta Model 626E

The Battery I recommend for you:
-.505 Gibbs
-.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
-.300 Holland & Holland Magnum
-.275 Rigby

Which gun maker are you using for your custom .375 Holland & Holland Magnum build ?
Thank you. charles Lancaster are building it for me. Very impressed with them thus far

I like your plan and I have a sneaky suspicion that these rifles are being made for you at John Rigby & Co. in London. A set of 275 Rigby, 300H&H, 375H&H and 416 Rigby, sequentially numbered, is truly a legacy your family will treasure. It also gives you choices for taking two of the four with you to Africa, depending on what you will hunt.
I'm a Rigby fan and have used my 416 on two safaris and will be taking it to Australia in August for water buffalo.
Nearly there. Charles Lancaster are building it for me. Highly impressed thus far.
who are you going with for water buff? Just booked with Kyle-little for mine

For Africa I like the .458 WM for large/dangerous game and the .300 Win Mag for everything else. It is hard to travel with more than two rifles and ammo is available almost everywhere if yours is lost.
The .375 is very versatile and the .30-06 will work on anything smaller than cape buffalo. Ammunition is also widely available for both.
This is my exact same set up, .458 & .300

Just sounds excessive..

If you want something to leave the children, who gets which caliber?
Maybe they dont want to share or live in different parts of the country, so can't share.
One gets a 375H&H so he can hunt big game Africa, while the other gets a 275 and can't.

Dont know how many children you have, but what about just making a rifle for each kid and they can hunt with it together with you.

My Africa battery:
9,3x64 Brenneke
9,5x66 SE vom Hofe
.416 Ruger
.450 Rigby
IMG_0302.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boobrick8

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you