AR-458 Win

Mark A Ouellette

Gold supporter
AH legend
Joined
Dec 22, 2018
Messages
2,513
Reaction score
14,742
Location
Michigan
Media
34
Articles
10
Hunting reports
Africa
3
Member of
NRA Benefactor
Hunted
Limpopo, Kalahari, Zimbabwe, Canada, USA
I WANT ONE!!!!!
 
A .458 Win AR would be a hoot! A reduced recoil, take down, easily maintained dangerous game rifle! The .338 Win AR's are available so the step up to .458 should be a heavier bolt carrier, recoil spring, and buffer. Hmmm... :)

If a semi auto military style rifle were legal in African countries I would start building one.
 
A .458 Win AR would be a hoot! A reduced recoil, take down, easily maintained dangerous game rifle! The .338 Win AR's are available so the step up to .458 should be a heavier bolt carrier, recoil spring, and buffer. Hmmm... :)

If a semi auto military style rifle were legal in African countries I would start building one.
A 338 win mag ar would be a lot of fun. I have a 358 win ar and love it
 
I have a DMPS pattern AR-10 in 45 Raptor. That is a rimless 460 S&W.
Awesome whitetail cartridge.
 
I had Scott Medesha of https://www.raptorarizona.com/ built mine.
I have built AR-15's but getting the action to cycle fool proof was something I figured Scott could do better than I could. The darn Raptor is a 3500 ft lbs of energy hammer!
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 11.02.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 11.02.20 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 276
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 11.02.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 11.02.21 AM.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 326
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 11.02.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 11.02.23 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 339
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 11.02.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 11.02.27 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 286
Noreen makes a 338 Lapua version. Since that is a necked down Rigby, that would allow use of the 416 and 450 Rigby as well as the 378, 416, and 460 Weatherbys.
 
You can also get a 458 BLR

 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.31.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.31.57 AM.png
    989.5 KB · Views: 254
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.31.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.31.58 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 273
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.31.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.31.59 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 271
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.32.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.32.01 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 261
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.32.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.32.03 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 259
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.32.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.32.05 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 281
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.32.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.32.08 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 207
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.32.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 9.32.12 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 296
Sounds heavy. But it would make a good prop for the next Jurrasic Park movie.

Fun fact Marlin lists recommended game for its rifles (bear, moose, deer etc). After Chris Pratt used a Marlin 45-70 in Jurrasic World they added a T-Rex to their game chart.
 
I always thought he carried a 450 marlin.
I’m with Forest, a 20 round mag of 375, would solve a lot of problems.

If 20 rounds of 375 don't solve the problem you have very big problems!

I don't think Marlin even offers that rifle in 450 Marlin. I view the 450 Marlin as sort of pointless since we already have the 45-70. Now if Winchester had created a 450 and put it in the Model 94 40 or 50 years ago that would have been something (yes I knew there were a few 450 Marlin Model 94s made, but after Marlin dominated the big bore market and just before Winchester went under).
 
I just got one build for me in .300 WinMag. They also offer them in .338 Lapua and .338 Norma Magnum. As German civilian you can’t have .338 Lapua in a semi auto rifle so I chose the .300 for me. A .458 would be nice.
IMG_4298.jpg
 
Agreed, it must be fun fun to do some plinking with it but no sport in hunting DG with it..
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,315
Messages
1,572,619
Members
169,593
Latest member
PFCAbigail
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top