Jager Waffen74

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Safari Club International, NRA, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
Tanzania, Nimibia, S. Africa, New Zealand, Mexico, Yukon, Northwest Territories
I am wanting to know what I should be asking for this rifle, I was originally asking 5700.00 with the scope, but I just sold the scope, so anyone know what the rifle is worth to someone?? When it was built they were around 6k-6500.00 Now they are selling for 8k from Mr. Christman if you can get him to build one. I thought 5700.00 with the scope was fair. Any thoughts? I just reduced the price to $3500.00 for the gun alone, shipped to your dealer. Any takers for this fine rifle??

I am wanting to sell my custom built Winchester Pre-64 type Model 70 Dangerous Game Rifle by David Christman chambered in .416 Rem. This rifle has never seen the bush, and is in 97%-99% condition. Less than 50-60 rnds through the gun. It will shoot under 1 MOA all day. It is a fantastic gun. As much as it is killing me to sell it, I am trying to fund my double rifle addiction. I have other big bore bolt guns so my loss is your gain. For David to build this today, you are looking at $7500-$8000.00 to replace this, with no scope!!

The rifle was built by famous Bench Rest builder David Christman. David is a longtime member if the prestigious American Custom Gun Guild (ACGG). His work is outstanding and the accuracy is remarkable of his builds. David's work is so good, that Shilen Barrels uses him for their barrel chambering.

• 24" Shilen Barrel with 1/4" rib stippled on top and express sights with sight hood by NECG
  • Straight grain with mild figure walnut stock, with 22LPI checkering, ebony tip, shadow line cheek rest
  • Blackburn bottom metal, steel barrel band sling loop and steel grip cap professionally rust blued.
  • English Pachmyr recoil pad
  • Straight Rust blued bolt handle as of English rifles with jeweled bolt body and 3 position saftey
  • Steel weaver style low bases so they ride flush on top level with the 1/4 rib. Custom QR steel rings
  • Swarovski Dangerous Game Scope 1.25-4x24mm (30mm tube) 1st focal plane
  • Finely tuned trigger that breaks 2.75lbs with no creep
  • All metal is beautifully rust blued

REDUCTION PRICE SHIPPED TO YOUR DEALER : $3500.00

000_0001.JPG
000_0002.JPG
000_0010.JPG
000_0011.JPG
000_0012.JPG
000_0013.JPG
000_0014.JPG
000_0019.JPG
000_0020.JPG
000_0021.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That is indeed a beautiful rifle and should sell pretty easily. If it were me, I would put that on Gunbroker and start at $4500. You can always come down. The only issue these days is it being a buyers market, no big gun scare going on, though the dems are trying their level best to get a scare going.

First of all David Christman is a quality gunmaker and the rifle is clearly "worth" at least $3500.00. HOWEVER, custom rifles, even by the best known makers, will not bring anything like the original cost to have them made. I have a wonderful little 7x57 by Al Lind that I purchased from a dealer (which means the seller really took a beating) for well less than half what the rifle would cost to commission. And I have one of his that I commissioned. You have a second challenge in this instance because of its caliber. Your potential market for such a rifle is tiny compared to those who might consider a .270 or 30-06. More to the point, you are looking for someone who wants a best quality rifle for a dangerous game hunt, who doesn't want a .375 or a classic caliber like a Rigby.

You just have to be patient or you will end up with dimes to the dollar. A dealer will likely offer you $1500 or so for it in hopes he can move it for $2750 to $3500 or so. Both Gunbroker and Guns International carry a lot of quality guns (most way over priced). Either is a good option to try to move this one. Best of luck!

I appreciate the feedback. I think builders like David are getting older and fading. I always believed quality prevails. Someone will get a great rifle for the money.

The rifle is gorgeous but since I am and have been bias for many years toward the .416 Rigby, I believe the rifle would sell faster if it were the Rigby caliber vs the Remington. Never the less it does appear to be easily worth the $3500 asking price.

Jager,

When you have a rifle built you aren't supposed to ever sell it because of the beatng you'll take.

Wanna really loose money? Have it chambered in a Ackley Improved. Any Ackley Improved.

Used rifles are a magnet for tire kickers and though that rifle is nice it could easily sit for years even in a good location as it now how no value to a pre 64 collector and for the price asked anyone can buy a new one for much less.

The word "custom" really doesn't strike home with that rfle as it doesn't necessarily come off as being custom. It's nice and all, but nothing really pops. It's a nice hunting rifle put together with stock parts at the behest of a fella who wanted it just the way it is.

I bought a "custom" Sako years back from an Italian sailor and when I opened the custom hard case it was the most engraved, carved, gold and silver adorned weapon I had even seen in my life....it is so pretty that I never hunted with in my life.

Will you eventually sell it? Sure! And you'll get your pound price when the right guy with the same vision as you comes along.

If you took it to a shop to sell outright don't expect to get much as that guy has two things in mind, turn it over quickly and double his money., Which if he wants to stay in business he must do.

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,