Any affordable Buffalo hunts for South Africans

Good day,

Are there any affordable Buffalo hunts for South Africans?

Regards
Ivan
Hi Ivan.
Hope all is well, what would be considered affordable?
My best always.

Hi Ivan.
Hope all is well, what would be considered affordable?
My best always.
Hi Jaco,

I am not going to quote a price but in my honest opinion if I can hunt one and pay for the meat at a reasonable ZAR/kg and extra for the premium for the opportunity then that would be affordable.

Hi Jaco,

I am not going to quote a price but in my honest opinion if I can hunt one and pay for the meat at a reasonable ZAR/kg and extra for the premium for the opportunity then that would be affordable.
I’m not sure what that means. What I can say is that there are guys in the low veld and elsewhere offering cow hunts.
If you interested in hunting the Niassa reserve we can also have a chat.
I do see some low end hunts at the shows in SA as well.
I am assuming you are looking for a nice lekker hard bossed bull?

If you are a member of SA hunters, they have a special running: 2 X cows for R50k I think.

Somewhere in the Karoo

Ivan, I have been and going to go on another buffalo cow hunt later this year.
Just keep your ears on the ground.
Bulls are also available but 3x more on the price and more depeding on size and ...........

Its value for money where the cows are hunted and have natural predators they are awake and very tricky to get a shot. Finding a cow that is dry, or have no calf and then only can you fire. Which means multiple stalks and bumping into them.

Just be aware that some advertise cow hunt but they are more cow shoots ex breeding stock use to humans and being fed.

I would love to hunt a proper dagga boy one day saving for one is just much harder but I will get there eventually.

Good day,

Are there any affordable Buffalo hunts for South Africans?

Regards
Ivan

Hinivan
You welcome to contact me
Cant guarentee your reasonable and my reasonable peices are the same
But a buff hunt with me, weather bull or cow
Will be a great experience
Looking forward

Regards

Hi all! I now affordable is very personal....but i think this offer is/was right about if you not looking for size

My guess that you are looking at day rates and the cull animal cost.

On a game reserve where they have good numbers of Buffalo they would not take long to find a suitable meat animal.

I would start by looking at which outfitters are easiest for you to access. (logistically and financially) Look up their list price then approach them to see if they can offer a deal for local residents or fellow countrymen.

Speaking with them direct and keeping tight lipped on the deal and pay in cash I'm sure someone can help keep the price down a little. Remember it's a business to them. Hunting is their industry and their income.

In Australia the industry is running sheep or cattle with Feral goats removed for the export market. They might allow hunters access for a fee to pursue pest animals or game animals for a fee. That would generally be unguided

For the game reserves , I see it that game is the stock and hunting is the industry that generates the income. I think it's a requirement to have a PH guide you so your daily fees probably include a vehicle, PH and maybe a tracker or skinner.

If you want a cheap cull animal they can probably line something up for a quick hunt. If you want a hunt see if you can book a few days and make it an experience and short break.

Hinivan
You welcome to contact me
Cant guarentee your reasonable and my reasonable peices are the same
But a buff hunt with me, weather bull or cow
Will be a great experience
Looking forward

Regards
Ivan, Stuart will give you a great affordable experience.

One can bid for citizen hunts in the Tuli at reasonable cost, but you arrive to a piece of bare ground, so bring a 5 tonne truck of equipment and a shovel to dig the longdrop. When you have done this you realise why outfitters charge what they do, and you are far happier to pay it!

@Kevin Peacocke surely a long wheel base LandRover would carry the goods for a hunting trip, long handle shovel included.
I can carry enought for me in a Ute.
Australia had a lot of Landrover vehicles in the 70's until LandCruiser said mover LandRover now Toyota have the market but have put a freeze on new LandCruiser vehicles because they have can't produce them fast enough.

LandRover might find an opening in the market here again.

@Kevin Peacocke surely a long wheel base LandRover would carry the goods for a hunting trip, long handle shovel included.
Australia had a lot of Landrover vehicles in the 70's until LandCruiser said mover LandRover now Toyota have the market but have put a freeze on new LandCruiser vehicles because they have can't produce them fast enough.

Teak chairs and tables are heavy CBH, then there is the campaign bar and the fully equipped kitchen. All we are replacing is the 100 porters!

Nature Conservation in the Eastern Cape auctions off animals to hunt in their reserves every now and then. I have seen buffalo offered.

Might be the cheapest option?

Teak chairs and tables are heavy CBH, then there is the campaign bar and the fully equipped kitchen. All we are replacing is the 100 porters!
I'd be happy with the Canvas folding chair , campaign furniture when I come back to get that Pitch Helmet.
I could not afford the whole traditional experience. Well I' wouldn't be prepared to pay for it.
A gun bearer would be nice just for that nostalgic touch.
Born about a hundred years to late and maybe a hundred million dollars to poor.

@PH1973

@Kevin Peacocke wrote: "One can bid for citizen hunts in the Tuli at reasonable cost, but you arrive to a piece of bare ground, so bring a 5 tonne truck of equipment and a shovel to dig the longdrop. When you have done this you realise why outfitters charge what they do, and you are far happier to pay it!"

@Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS posted that they offer buffalo at reasonable prices. I shot three cull cows there, the one below weighed 1200 pounds, another weighted 1150, and the third was also pretty big. Stuart gave me very reasonable prices for those!

There is a lot of work involved as Kevin wrote. First just moving all that dead weight. Or maybe quartering it up in the field? Still those quarters are going to be more that most men can lift! Then there is the butchering. Meat cutting is an art that will make or break a good steak...

@Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS PH Rudi Nell and me posing over 1200 pound cow. The weight is from the scale at the skinning shed.
S1010016-2.JPG

1200 pounds of dead weight is best loaded with a winch!
S1010038-2.JPG

@Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS crew has done this more than once!
S1010040-2.JPG

And just in case you shoot an extra large buffalo or giraffe, a good crew is needed to process in the field.
S1090038-2.JPG

Those quarters are not light weight! This is a giraffe quarter...
S1090033-2.JPG

Last edited:

You can’t be serious an Aussie in a Land Rover!? That’s punishable by death!!
Here’s an interesting fact, after the English lost the first Boer war in South Africa they vowed that they would have their revenge…. Low and behold 45 years later the first Land Rover arrived on African soils and we have been struggling ever since to get rid of it!

Little did we know…

I can’t imagine any serious operator in modern times using a Land Rover! ;)
My best!

Can you do this with a 69 year old swb Land Cruiser? Oh wait, they weren't even invented then....
Buffalo and five people!
View attachment 519440
You be a sucker for punishment Mr. Peacocke…

There was a well known Zim PH several years ago even during the 2010’s that still hunted with his 70’s Land Rover.
He had a cruiser deliver spare parts on every safari!
:whistle:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross