Another new Guy who is looking forward to Africa

If, you're a very experienced hunter, then go for the buffalo. (This means that you can walk/trot/run at least 10 miles a day and you are a very good shot off-hand or on sticks with a pretty big gun (at least a .375 H&H or something equivalent or more powerful)).

If you are not that experienced, then do a plains game hunt first to get an experience of Africa. Then, go then go for buffalo afterwards.

A wounded buffalo can, and does, kill inexperienced hunters.

If it is very important to you to take a buffalo on your first trip to Africa, then hunt it in South Africa.

Welcome aboard! Best of luck with that first hunt. We’ll be looking for that first hunt report as well. ;)

Welcome to AH!

If it is very important to you to take a buffalo on your first trip to Africa, then hunt it in South Africa.

Thank you for your answer Dave.

I heard a lot of really strange stories about buffalo hunting in SA from some friends.
So that is not an option for me to be honest.

Stalking for hours should not be a problem, that's what we have to do in Austria as well e.g. for Chamois or Boar
But of course it's not like hunting in Africa.

Shooting a 8x68S, 9,3x64 or 9,3x74R from a stick or even freehanded during driven hunts works quite good :)

The .404 should also be handable after a few months of practice...

Welcome to AH. Enjoy the forum, it's very addicting.

Welcome to AH, you picked a great place to start your journey to hunt Africa. I'll be watching for your hunt report, Good luck.

Giday Flowhamed18. Welcome to the A H forums.

Hello FlowHamed18,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

I just assumed the odds were better on a private reserve situation.

Hi to all

As you might guess according to the thread title I haven't been to Africa yet.
My father hunted in Africa several times (while I was definately to young to join him).

I already started planning my first trip to Africa - hopefully to hunt for an old dagga boy.
Hopefully I can make it to Mozambique or Tanzania within the next two years.

The rifle (.404 Jeffery) is mostly finished - using a magnum system of Montana Rifles Inc. (which is quite an unusual system here in Austria - just to be sure: we are the ones without the kangaroos, but with the snow in the Alps ;-) )

Right now I would consider to use 400grs Barnes TSX in general for this rifle.
Including some bigger plains game like Eland, Kudu, Oryx,...

To finish my lines up:
Thanks for joining all of you and please feel free to tell me, if my plans are suitable

Regards
Welcome! Never abandon your dream. Your plan is good. You are hearing people with experience just share we started with a fairly inexpensive PG hunt as our first African experience then moved up to DG. In no way does that mean that is how it should be done. I would plan on a Buffalo but budget for PG depending on what Africa gives you. Best of luck!!!

Welcome and be warned it will not end up with just one buffalo!!!

Welcome here. This forum will only make your itch for hunting Africa worse. You are at the right place! Enjoy the planning and make it happen.

Welcome! I think your buffalo plan is great. My first safari was in Zimbabwe for plains game while my more experienced friend hunted leopard, buffalo, sable and plains game. I saw the biggest buffalo of my dreams and couldn’t even shoot it! Big mistake. It was bigger than the nice bull my friend shot.

Buffalo on your first safari is just fine. Your previous experience at home will serve you well. If you need any ideas on places to go in Moz or Tanzania, let me know. I’ve been to Moz three times, once to Tanzania with a second safari to Tanzania already scheduled. Good luck!

welcome welcome welcome

Welcome! I think your buffalo plan is great. My first safari was in Zimbabwe for plains game while my more experienced friend hunted leopard, buffalo, sable and plains game. I saw the biggest buffalo of my dreams and couldn’t even shoot it! Big mistake. It was bigger than the nice bull my friend shot.

Buffalo on your first safari is just fine. Your previous experience at home will serve you well. If you need any ideas on places to go in Moz or Tanzania, let me know. I’ve been to Moz three times, once to Tanzania with a second safari to Tanzania already scheduled. Good luck!
Thank you for your reply Scott.

Yes please, it would be great to get some advice regarding nice spots in Moz :)

Hi to all

As you might guess according to the thread title I haven't been to Africa yet.
My father hunted in Africa several times (while I was definately to young to join him).

I already started planning my first trip to Africa - hopefully to hunt for an old dagga boy.
Hopefully I can make it to Mozambique or Tanzania within the next two years.

The rifle (.404 Jeffery) is mostly finished - using a magnum system of Montana Rifles Inc. (which is quite an unusual system here in Austria - just to be sure: we are the ones without the kangaroos, but with the snow in the Alps ;-) )

Right now I would consider to use 400grs Barnes TSX in general for this rifle.
Including some bigger plains game like Eland, Kudu, Oryx,...

To finish my lines up:
Thanks for joining all of you and please feel free to tell me, if my plans are suitable

Regards
Going to Moz this fall for Buff, welcome to tag along with us.

Willkommen, FloHamed--mir brauchen bestimmt mehr Leit' von Österreich. Prost!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!