Another 338 Winchester project

ldmay375

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I stumbled upon another favorite rifle and cartridge combination at a local gun store. I could not resist temptation. A Winchester M70 Classic Stainless BOSS in 338 Winchester.
The barrel length should be around 22.5” after cutting the BOSS threads off. This will satisfy my curiosity of a 22” barrel 338.
I am a big fan of the M70 classic stainless rifles. It appears the trigger was never adjusted, it currently nearly a 6 pound pull. This will be adjusted to somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 pounds. Future modifications will be barrel cut, fiberglass stock, and probably 1 piece stainless bottom metal.
I may have iron sights and barrel band sling stud added to this one. But first, will shoot it after the barrel trim, to be sure it does not group like a shotgun pattern.
These stainless M70 Classic’s and the Ruger stainless Mark II / Hawkeye are 2 of my favorite rifle types. The 338 Winchester is certainly one of my favorite cartridges.

Congratulations on your new rifle!

Like you I am a big fan of M70's and I LOVE the .338WM.
It has quickly become my 2nd or 3rd favourite cartridge...

I owned a Winchester M70 Stainless Classic in 270WSM and I loved it.
My current M70 in .338WM is a Synthetic Matte with a Magnaported 26" barrel and I'll never sell it.

Hey, what about a pic!

Russ

Russ,
Thanks. I will take a few pictures in the morning.
I have laugh a little on your 2nd or 3rd favorite cartridge. Because, I also have several “favorites”. And definitely ones that I currently use more than the 338 Winchester. But, if it ever got down to me having only one rifle for North American type bigger game; the 338 Winchester would be it. No hesitation in that selection.
I also have a M70 Classic stainless in 270 WSM. Actually in the past 10 years, I have acquired a few of the M70 Classics in stainless.
I think this rifle will see some use, once I get all the modification / extra parts and pieces together. My current favorite 338 is my Ruger Mark II, different stock and the shiny bead blasted off. It is actually one of my favorite rifles. It really likes 225 grain Barnes TSX, and I like their performance.
Larry

A long time ago, I owned a savage Hog Hunter in .338WM with a 20" barrel. It definitely lost some speed compared to a 24" barrel but wasnt terrible. The blast was significant but definitely not as bad as a 16" .223 in my opinion. I never took anything with it and it went on down the road before too long after I got the inclination that if my rifles weren't blued steel and traditional walnut stocked, then there was no point in having them.

Definitely upload some pictures. Are you going to be doing any of the work yourself? Cutting that BOSS off is a wise decision as it isn't really necessary on a rifle of that weight anyway and it's appearance is as tasteful on the rifle as inlaying a picture of honey boo boo on a Fabergé Egg.

2155FC54-40CF-45BA-9E95-119E6F6CE788.jpeg
338 Winchesters. Left to Right.
Kimber Montana, 26” barrel
Ruger Mark II, 24” barrel
M70 Super Grade, 24” barrel. This is an early production, prior to the “Classic” stamping.
M70 Classic, 26” barrel
M70 Classic BOSS

View attachment 411250338 Winchesters. Left to Right.
Kimber Montana, 26” barrel
Ruger Mark II, 24” barrel
M70 Super Grade, 24” barrel. This is an early production, prior to the “Classic” stamping.
M70 Classic, 26” barrel
M70 Classic BOSS
That supergrade is gorgeous.... my style of rifle!

The blued and walnut one has the M70 African type thumb wheel rear sight and barrel band front sight. This work was done before I bought. As stated it is an early production run, 5 digit serial number, prior to them stamping “Classic” on the control round feed models.

The blued and walnut one has the M70 African type thumb wheel rear sight and barrel band front sight. This work was done before I bought. As stated it is an early production run, 5 digit serial number, prior to them stamping “Classic” on the control round feed models.
Well the crotch in the buttstock puts it a step up! I just ordered a semifancy Claro walnut stock for my .458 WM Mauser project and I am hoping it finishes out similarly. Very nice collection! I hope each of them has taken some game?

That supergrade is gorgeous.... my style of rifle!
This Super Grade and a Browning FN Safari High Power 30-06, are without a doubt my two finest looking rifles. Both are too pretty, in my opinion, to spend 2 to 4 week trips on my moose hunts. I do appreciate their style though, and the connection to days gone by.

Well the crotch in the buttstock puts it a step up! I just ordered a semifancy Claro walnut stock for my .458 WM Mauser project and I am hoping it finishes out similarly. Very nice collection! I hope each of them has taken some game?
Wish you luck on the outcome of your stock.
Only the Ruger has actually been hunted with. It did well on a moose and coyote. Though substantially tougher on the coyote, than I anticipated.
I migrated to using my 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger. So 338’s have been out only to the range. I will add, no moose has dropped any faster or more dead, than what the 338 dropped that one with a chest shot. And that includes 2 that I shot in the forehead with 375 & 416.

Stock, bases & rings ordered. I am going to have a minor glitch with the one-piece bottom metal. PT&G is not scheduled to make another run of it until December.
But, I have a factory one-piece pot-metal takeoff from a new M70 that I will use until the stainless is available.
I hope to drop the rifle at gunsmith within the next few days, for the barrel cut.

Very nice stable of .338s and one of my favorite cartridges! But, I personally wouldn't cut the BOSS off. Don't you have the thread protector/weight balancer to replace the BOSS with? I personally like the longer barrels with those belted magnums. My Browning .338 has a 26" barrel and has never been a handicap when hunting elk even in the thick stuff. Just my 2 centavos.

Very nice stable of .338s and one of my favorite cartridges! But, I personally wouldn't cut the BOSS off. Don't you have the thread protector/weight balancer to replace the BOSS with? I personally like the longer barrels with those belted magnums. My Browning .338 has a 26" barrel and has never been a handicap when hunting elk even in the thick stuff. Just my 2 centavos.

My Winchester M70 in .338 also has a 26" barrel and I also haven't found it to be a handicap - and I hunt in some pretty thick stuff...

Russ

My Winchester M70 in .338 also has a 26" barrel and I also haven't found it to be a handicap - and I hunt in some pretty thick stuff...

Russ
I've found the scope and or sling get hung up on brush way more than the longer barrel. When it's really thick and your crawling on your knees, just point the barrel where you want to go and it's no problem. BTW, take the damn front sight hood OFF if your rifle has one before you venture into the thick stuff.

I've found the scope and or sling get hung up on brush way more than the longer barrel. When it's really thick and your crawling on your knees, just point the barrel where you want to go and it's no problem. BTW, take the damn front sight hood OFF if your rifle has one before you venture into the thick stuff.
BTW, Doubtful if That rifle will not be venturing into the thick stuff. It would not very pretty after a 2-4 week hunt. Staying wet nearly everyday does no good for the wood or bluing. And after a few days, I am not going to be dedicating much time maintaining blue & walnut. We all have our preferences.
Each to his or her own as to barrel lengths. The less than 24” barrel are more user friendly to me, in travel and hunting. We all have our own experiences. I have hunted with various barrel lengths from 26” to 16” in more than one brush pile, pecker pole thicket, alder patch, etc. The rifles that I use the most are in the 20” barrel lengths, stainless, and synthetic. They work quite well for me.

This rifle, as most of mine, was bought used. No thread protector, etc. I have no hesitation in cutting the barrel. 70-80 FPS velocity loss is of no importance to me shooting 200 yard shots. I have 26” barrels if I decide to hunt with one, again.

This rifle, as most of mine, was bought used. No thread protector, etc. I have no hesitation in cutting the barrel. 70-80 FPS velocity loss is of no importance to me shooting 200 yard shots. I have 26” barrels if I decide to hunt with one, again.
Your right about the velocity difference, but the increase in muzzle blast might be a factor? It's not an issue for .375 and up, but those higher velocity belted magnums can be LOUD with shorter barrels?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg