Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
ADB185BB-0675-4303-B6C6-674FD59C943E.jpeg
So my youngest had a big day Thursday. He turned 18. Most are excited for this because they are considered an “adult”. My son, he could really care less with two exceptions. 1) getting to vote which he’s very excited about and 2) being able to buy rifles, shotguns, and ammo on his own. He celebrated his 18th B-day exercising his 2nd Amendment right. He’s wanted a new general hunting rifle for quite a while, he was excited about getting to buy his own and not use a hand me down (not that he doesn’t appreciate tradition).
So we went to Gander and after looking at every rifle in his price range in the store twice, he settled on a Savage 110 in 30/06. He’s a happy camper, and is already talking about dropping it in a chassis. Like father like son :LOL:.
He’s just gotten to where he can briefly stand on his foot post op so he refused to have his scooter in the pic.
Next weekend he’s headed down to the ranch to get the rifle zeroed and maybe shoot a doe before season closes. I haven’t seen him this excited in a while and it’s well deserved after the hell hes been through recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s awesome Erik! Congratulations Seth! I couldn’t wait to do the same thing when I turned 18, I just never quit reliving the experience almost weekly!

Thank you Cody. He’s so excited. He went and got a bipod and some ammo today.

Thank you Cody. He’s so excited. He went and got a bipod and some ammo today.
Got a piece of glass for it yet?

Now that is fantastic! Looks like he got a grand slam that day. Happy Birthday, Seth, and congrats. Enjoy.

Got a piece of glass for it yet?
it came with a cheap POS that will work until he can buy a new scope. It’s a Bushnell 3x9. Not great but he can at least shoot it. He wants to drop a Vortex 4-16 FFP scope on it but he can’t work until his foot heals. He’s hoping to be able to put enough weight on it by the end of next month that he can shoot in a sporting clays competition and he might be able to win enough to buy one then.

He picked a good one. Those savage rifles are shooters. The 30-06 has been getting the job done for a "long" time
Tell him congratulations

Good for this young man! He started adult life with a BANG!

Good choice Seth! Congratulations! Knowing your family, I think you already know how to vote!:D(y)

I have yet to see a Savage you couldn’t make shoot very well.

Awesome news! Congrats to the young man!

That's awesome, I bought a Remington .22 on my 18th birthday! Happy birthday and congratulations!

What happened to his foot?

I remember my Grandfather getting me a NRA membership for my 18th birthday.
While it was (and still is) important to me, I think I would have been happier at the time with a Savage 30-06.
Congrats to both you and Seth.

Awesome! Congrats

I still remember buying my first rifle. I was 16 and had just finished some farm work and had just enough.... The store we went to didn't have a .270 (Jack O' Connor's favorite) so dad suggested a 30-06. I killed quite a few animals with that rifle. Congrats to your son. He made a smart choice. Hope his foot gets healed up quickly.
Bruce

WHAAAA??? Didn't buy a Creedmoor? What's the Texas hunting world coming to? Seriously, Happy Birthday and congrats on the rifle.

Congrats on all counts. I still remember buying my first 30-30. I had to sell that gun to buy the next one. But I reached a point in my life where I went back and bought the same model 30-30 just to say I still had one. Tell him to hang on to that gun. It will always be special.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg