Africa Hunts and Relationship with Your Professional Hunter

Having a positive mental attitude will go a long way with anyone, including the PH.
No one wants to be stuck in any hunting camp with a downer, especially not in Africa.
There is always a bright side, find it and move on.
Allow yourself to really enjoy your hunt.

I guarantee that you are overthinking this and it will be easy.
I'd bet that in the truck from the airport to the first stop you have several things hammered out.
Sit back, relax and enjoy the hunt...don't let this be a point of stress.
This is a VACATION...treat it like one.

i think BeeMaa said it perfectly.

i have guided high maintenance clients. not much fun, for anybody.
rule #1 refer to BeeMaa's guidelines above
rule #2, refer to rule #1

do this and you will have a great hunt!

As usual, the wisdom of the AH community is spot on. I think @BeeMaa said it best to discuss your “own” definition of trophy with your PH. You may learn from your PH that your expectations might be too low, or too high for you to have a reasonable chance of obtaining(ie I want a 60” kudu, or the world record “X”). Or, you might be surprised when he tells you that there is one particular bushbuck that is the largest he has ever seen, but you will need to pass on some afternoon hunting of other species to get a crack at him. Just be honest, with the PH, and yourself. You will certainly enjoy your time in Africa more if you both are on the same page.

But I will say if your definition of trophy is top of the book, don’t be surprised when your PH drives by animals with not even a tap of the brakes, because he is only looking for what you have set forth. I think you miss a lot of Africa when you set your sights too high.

Also, as an example of being flexible. I was hunting Tanzania and we were going after roan. The day before, my Masai trackers had found a large bee hive with honey up in a tree about an hour from camp. They were totally animated and excited. I decided the next morning we would go hunt honey instead of roan. I learned so much watching them hack open the hive, smoke the bees senseless, pull out hunks of honey comb, and get stung all to hell. But they were in heaven. And that honey was something else. I never did get my roan, but would not trade that day in the field for any trophy. Just my 2 cents worth.

Honest communication is the key. Talk with your PH, discuss what you're looking for so he has an idea of what and where. Let him know your strengths and your weaknesses. It will make the hunt much more productive and enjoyable for all concerned. Roll with the flow, he knows what he's doing.

If you want a low to mid 50’s cape kudu, that’s the kind of thing you need to talk about. That’s a monster cape. Low to mid 40’s might be more likely in most areas.

I understand that you have some doubts of what to expect and what to have them expect of you..

Sometimes the toughest is too not know who you book or hunt with in person. The hunt is more than just a hunt it is an experience and sometimes a once in a lifetime experience .... most times it starts off as a once in a lifetime experience that turns into an addiction by day 2 !

It helps to go by other references although we all have different personalities and where sometimes you "click" with someone and sometimes you do not.

The other factors besides the amount of animals , the price , the size of animals plays a big role . Comfort of accommodations , food , ambiance , socialization , trust to name a few.

You have to decide what is your main aim ....Big Trophies , Ease of the hunt , budget , social interaction and comfort etc.

Tell your Outfitter first what you expect or what your main objectives is to make it a successful trip for you. Normally a good combination of a few will ensure a great safari.. He can then also have a better idea on which ph to assign to you to ensure you have a wonderful trip.

Be upfront about your abilities may it be physical or shooting capabilities. The more info he has the better he can plan. The days can turn into 18 and 20 hour days or nights sometimes ..If you choose the right person your 10 days feel like 3 and you cannot wait to return.

We all want to have a GOOD time and some good trophies. Sometimes it is easier to be upfront on something even though it might sound abnoxious .... It is YOUR trip . We all have different expections in life. If you are honest any GOOD Outfit will need your ecpectations and MORE !

Good luck amd enjoy your first trip of many !

Happy Hunting !

I would be the first to admit that on my first safari all those years ago, I was likely looked upon as a big PITA! Like most I had preconceived notions of what it was going to be and how it would all go. I was wrong of course at least in part. On my first trip I was introduced to the practice of shooting from the car. In fact the first animal I was going to shoot at was seen as I was in the back of the Toyo on the bench seat. Truck stopped and I started to clamber out of the back rifle in hand. At once I was physically pushed back down by the other hunter and various hands of trackers.
I was both surprised and pissed and made it known right there and then that shooting from the car on my first safari was not going to happen, nor did it.
The point of this is diatribe is that it is above all else YOUR safari and you have every right to have certain expectations on how it will go and make it known to your PH if something strikes you as problematic.
We all make mistakes, I have made my share but decide ahead of time what is or is not something you wish to partake of. You are paying for this shindig, and your PH works for you, not the other way around. Doesn't mean you have to go around giving orders to him and staff, I have seen that too and it isn't pretty. Be nice but firm and what you will do or prefer not to do, especially if offered a shot that you don't think you can pull off, because if you wound it and it gets away, you still get to pay for it. Been there done that.

If you want a low to mid 50’s cape kudu, that’s the kind of thing you need to talk about. That’s a monster cape. Low to mid 40’s might be more likely in most areas.

Learn something every time I read a post on here....thanks for the info, didn’t realize the cape and greater Kudu were different till this afternoon....sure my PH will steer me in the right direction.

I would be the first to admit that on my first safari all those years ago, I was likely looked upon as a big PITA! Like most I had preconceived notions of what it was going to be and how it would all go. I was wrong of course at least in part. On my first trip I was introduced to the practice of shooting from the car. In fact the first animal I was going to shoot at was seen as I was in the back of the Toyo on the bench seat. Truck stopped and I started to clamber out of the back rifle in hand. At once I was physically pushed back down by the other hunter and various hands of trackers.
I was both surprised and pissed and made it known right there and then that shooting from the car on my first safari was not going to happen, nor did it.
The point of this is diatribe is that it is above all else YOUR safari and you have every right to have certain expectations on how it will go and make it known to your PH if something strikes you as problematic.
We all make mistakes, I have made my share but decide ahead of time what is or is not something you wish to partake of. You are paying for this shindig, and your PH works for you, not the other way around. Doesn't mean you have to go around giving orders to him and staff, I have seen that too and it isn't pretty. Be nice but firm and what you will do or prefer not to do, especially if offered a shot that you don't think you can pull off, because if you wound it and it gets away, you still get to pay for it. Been there done that.

Yikes! Shooting from a vehicle isn’t cool anywhere, but I see where you are going. Thanks. I believe my PH is a thorough professional and don’t expect anything like that to happen, but will convey some of the things I’d like to do and experience as part of our discussions. Hell, didn’t even know there was a difference in the Kudu’s in Southern Africa until earlier this afternoon when some of the other members pointed it out....I’ve got lots to learn :)

Learn something every time I read a post on here....thanks for the info, didn’t realize the cape and greater Kudu were different till this afternoon....sure my PH will steer me in the right direction.
You could also consider shooting 2. Take a good representative trophy then later in the hunt if you should see a true giant shoot him as well. You’ll regret not taking the opportunity more than the money.

A couple questions I always have for a P.H. is (1 What do YOU consider to be a trophy size __________animal? (fill in the blank)
(2 What are the one or two things that clients do that annoy you the most? ( and then I proceed to do at least one of them immediately)
But seriously, your expectations may be seriously out of sync with the animals available. I remember my first trip, EVERY impala I saw looked like a trophy and I would have been happy with the first one I saw. My P.H. knew his available animals, and got me on several great ones. You have already identified the main animal you are looking for, that's a great start. This thread brings me back to my first time Africa hunting, Thanks!

You will not learn it all on your first trip for sure, there is much to know. Unfortunately shooting from a car is not uncommon and is OK with many both there and here. Its been covered here recently and members have varying views of it.

You will not learn it all on your first trip for sure, there is much to know. Unfortunately shooting from a car is not uncommon and is OK with many both there and here. Its been covered here recently and members have varying views of it.

Got to say I‘m in the No Go group on vehicle shooting....my grandfather would come out of his grave and kick me in the ass if I did that ;). I’ve learned so much from this forum and can’t wait to expand my knowledge in country. Got a feeling I’m going to get hooked and go back more than I thought I would.

Gotcha...didn’t know that so thanks for that education, thought they were all the same in South Africa.

Edit: just checked and the record for the Eastern Cape Kudu is 58” taken not too far from where we’ll be hunting, so guessing low to mid 50’s would be a nice prize....
A mid-fifties kudu from the Eastern Cape is a 180 class whitetail. If you are looking at a bull and your PH says you should take him, do so. You will not worry about a a few inches one way or the other when he is in that wall space.

Last edited:
A mid-fifties kudu from the Eastern Cape is a 180 class whitetail. If you are looking at bull and your PH says you should take him, do so. You will not worry about a a few inches one way or the other when he is in that wall space.

Honestly thought they were all the greater Kudu type until someone pointed out that the Eastern Cape Kudu is a smaller sub-species earlier today. Told you all, I’ve got lots to learn. I’ll tell my PH what I’m after and shoot whatever one he tells me to :) Pretty sure you’re right and won’t notice a difference, though I’m going to be greedy and want the biggest one the PH can find ;)

You could also consider shooting 2. Take a good representative trophy then later in the hunt if you should see a true giant shoot him as well. You’ll regret not taking the opportunity more than the money.

Oh, my wife is going to just love me when I get home and she finds out how much I spent if I start doing that.. LOL, can see the eye rolls already :)

@BeeMaa is spot on.

The enjoyment of the adventure of a safari will likely eclipse the enjoyment of the size of any trophy. The biggest trophy in inches is usually not the best/favorite hunt.

If you can go meet your PH at SCI or DSC, you absolutely should. I remember being told to not worry about or overthink things, just to go to Africa and I would have an amazing time. No simpler truth could have been said.

Not to repeat most of what has already been well-said on this thread - but I would emphasize sharing anything that might piss you off during the hunt/trip. We all have our pet peeves and you're shelling out lots of hard-earned money for YOUR hunt.

If sharing the camp with big drinkers is likely to irk you, then tell your PH. If smoking in the field is a no no, then say so - it may not be the PH but one of the trackers. Ditto on cellphones chirping as you're making a final stalk - technology has arrived in most parts of Africa. Your tracker may have a PHD in African fauna but his cellphone is still a novelty for him.

Most operators have this stuff under control but some do not - if you think stuff like this may upset you, then spell it out upfront.

On shooting ability (of which fitness is a key aspect), do your training and practice beforehand. For walk and stalk hunting, anything over 300yds is quite long here. I doubt your PH is going to push you to take shots that long unless he's seen that you can really shoot and it's the last day. If you have genuine limitations on long shots, then share that with your PH. I guarantee he's seen it all, from the best snipers to the worst. He'd rather work a little bit harder getting you closer for the shot than spending 2 days tracking a wounded animal.

If you're unhappy taking a shot, then say so - your PH might mutter about the trophy of a lifetime but he will appreciate not having to track a wounded animal (and you will not regret not having to pay trophy fees for a lost animal)
Also clear up whether you want your PH to shoot in the event of you wounding an animal. And if you do, explain when you're ok with him shooting. You're quite entitled to say no shooting from him and you want to finish it yourself.

Be a sponge and ask your team what they are seeing in the field. Two things you can be sure of - the trackers' skills will blow your mind and two they will be fitter and more agile than you. Admire the first and do your best before the trip in order to push them on the second point:)
Third point, have fun!

Not to repeat most of what has already been well-said on this thread - but I would emphasize sharing anything that might piss you off during the hunt/trip. We all have our pet peeves and you're shelling out lots of hard-earned money for YOUR hunt.

If sharing the camp with big drinkers is likely to irk you, then tell your PH. If smoking in the field is a no no, then say so - it may not be the PH but one of the trackers. Ditto on cellphones chirping as you're making a final stalk - technology has arrived in most parts of Africa. Your tracker may have a PHD in African fauna but his cellphone is still a novelty for him.

Most operators have this stuff under control but some do not - if you think stuff like this may upset you, then spell it out upfront.

On shooting ability (of which fitness is a key aspect), do your training and practice beforehand. For walk and stalk hunting, anything over 300yds is quite long here. I doubt your PH is going to push you to take shots that long unless he's seen that you can really shoot and it's the last day. If you have genuine limitations on long shots, then share that with your PH. I guarantee he's seen it all, from the best snipers to the worst. He'd rather work a little bit harder getting you closer for the shot than spending 2 days tracking a wounded animal.

If you're unhappy taking a shot, then say so - your PH might mutter about the trophy of a lifetime but he will appreciate not having to track a wounded animal (and you will not regret not having to pay trophy fees for a lost animal)
Also clear up whether you want your PH to shoot in the event of you wounding an animal. And if you do, explain when you're ok with him shooting. You're quite entitled to say no shooting from him and you want to finish it yourself.

Be a sponge and ask your team what they are seeing in the field. Two things you can be sure of - the trackers' skills will blow your mind and two they will be fitter and more agile than you. Admire the first and do your best before the trip in order to push them on the second point:)
Third point, have fun!

Thanks for this post...even more to think about :) Very little really pisses me off and I get along with most folks, but I don’t tolerate true a-holes very well ;)

Hadn’t thought about cell phones. Always just mute mine when I hit the field and will probably ask that we all do that. Great tip, thanks.

I’ve already started a targeted training program, though I’m not out of shape today, and I’m hitting the range at least two-three times a month with a focus on sticks and quickly getting off accurate shots from them (getting there but not where I want to be yet). While I can take longer shots, over 300, that definitely is not my favorite for hunting as I much prefer the challenge of stalking in as close as possible, under 100 is always my goal. Will talk to my PH about this being the preference, to the extent possible, though between 100-200 is often more practical, out to 300 once in a while.

I’ve read about the African tracker’s mastery of their art and that is something I’m really looking forward to seeing and learning more about. I’m the biggest sponge around and hope no one gets tired of all my questions, love to learn from pros and masters of their trade.

Can pretty much guarantee I’m going to have fun and the experience of a lifetime. Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning :)

Honestly, with your positive attitude and a bit of basic 'pre-checking' with your PH/outfitter, things will have to go badly wrong for you to be truly disappointed(y)

I hope for your sake your hunt goes as expected...but something like the kudu hunt gets into your bloodstream. That way whatever quality of trophy you get makes you hanker for more!
(In a year or 2 we see Fastrig planning a trophy kudu hunt in the Limpopo region, to get his 60+ incher!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zahadurahbrotherhood

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you