Africa Hunts and Relationship with Your Professional Hunter

I think this is all starting to get a bit out of hand.

Great advice on being prepared to shoot accurately. Other than that ....

May I suggest that before giving your PH a list of instructions about how you would prefer to hunt - cell phones, shooting distance, whatever - wait and see how the day goes. This will not be his first rodeo - and you will not be his first client. Let him do his job before suggesting how he could do it better.

Unless you are doing your PG hunt in a wilderness area, the most lethal thing in your PH’s hands will likely be the shooting sticks, so no need to lecture him about backup shots.

The most important thing you can do from minute one is simply try to get to know the man. Hitting it off is at least 50% your responsibility. You both will have a much better week or so if he trusts and enjoys guiding you. I would worry about that rather than your perceived requirements of a hunting environment that you have yet to experience.

Just saying. ;)

Exactly, other than letting him know my known limitations, I have no intention of telling him how to do his job.

I think this is all starting to get a bit out of hand.

Great advice on being prepared to shoot accurately. Other than that ....

May I suggest that before giving your PH a list of instructions about how you would prefer to hunt - cell phones, shooting distance, whatever - wait and see how the day goes. This will not be his first rodeo - and you will not be his first client. Let him do his job before suggesting how he could do it better.

Unless you are doing your PG hunt in a wilderness area, the most lethal thing in your PH’s hands will likely be the shooting sticks, so no need to lecture him about backup shots.

The most important thing you can do from minute one is simply try to get to know the man. Hitting it off is at least 50% your responsibility. You both will have a much better week or so if he trusts and enjoys guiding you. I would worry about that rather than your perceived requirements of a hunting environment that you have yet to experience.

Just saying. ;)

I'm going to let him be the guide, I'm just along for the adventure and to soak in as much information as possible....still not shooting from a vehicle though ;)

@Fastrig , if you want a spectacular Kudu, you should go farther north, as in the Limpopo province.

You could also consider shooting 2. Take a good representative trophy then later in the hunt if you should see a true giant shoot him as well. You’ll regret not taking the opportunity more than the money.
I did this a few years ago in Botswana. The second day out I managed to bag one that went 54. I let my ph know I was completely satisfied but if he sees something with the WOW factor, I'll take another. Day 9 I connected on the magic number. It was amazing how different the 2 looked. I europeaned the first and shouldered the second but took both capes incase one got damaged.

I did this a few years ago in Botswana. The second day out I managed to bag one that went 54. I let my ph know I was completely satisfied but if he sees something with the WOW factor, I'll take another. Day 9 I connected on the magic number. It was amazing how different the 2 looked. I europeaned the first and shouldered the second but took both capes incase one got damaged.
Taking a representative animal and then remaining on the look out for something special is always a good technique. However, we probably ought to keep relative size clear for someone hunting the Eastern Cape for Kudu rather than the Southern race. I think the largest ever taken was was 58 inches and a fraction back in 1977. The typical quality mature trophy from the region is 45-50 inches. Anything north of fifty will be special. There are a host of kudu (both Southern and Eastern) in that size range in the photo section of this forum. Any bull like that from that region would be a wonderful memory for the wall.

Taking a representative animal and then remaining on the look out for something special is always a good technique. However, we probably ought to keep relative size clear for someone hunting the Eastern Cape for Kudu rather than the Southern race. I think the largest ever taken was was 58 inches and a fraction back in 1977. The typical quality mature trophy from the region is 45-50 inches. Anything north of fifty will be special. There are a host of kudu (both Southern and Eastern) in that size range in the photo section of this forum. Any bull like that from that region would be a wonderful memory for the wall.

That gives me some perspective now....Thanks!!!!

Looking to rebook my first Africa hunt that was supposed to be this past February for next summer, eight day PG hunt. Have read a number of threads about establishing the relationship with your PH, i.e. people’s opinions of do’s and do not’s, both client and PH view points. Many of the client horror stories relayed frankly shocked me a bit but was pleased that the lion’s share of the PH stories were generally positive.

Last thing I want, or would ever do, is be a pain in the ass client. Having said that, the approach I’m taking with my PH is that he is “in charge”. I’m there to enjoy a hunt, Yes, but more importantly I am there to learn and experience Africa. I know two point squat about the terrain, the animals’ true routines, etc. and I’m paying him more as a teacher than anything else. You can’t get that education from a book, posts, or videos, you get that from a local who lives and breaths his backyard every day, IMO.

Numerous posts have said to talk to your PH about your expectations, boundaries, etc. Now I may be way off base on this, or misunderstanding some of it, but it seems to me to be a bit presumptuous to set these when I have no point of reference and the professional hunter I’m hiring does, outside of common sense hunting practices of course. Now I’m no shrinking violet by any stretch of the imagination but have always found that you learn a lot more by keeping your mouth shut and listening when in new territory. My question here is am I being to too back seat with this approach or is this a good approach for my first trip to Africa, and probably ones to follow?

I truly believe that the client / hunter has to be part of the hunt as much as possible, our number priority according to law is to make sure a client is always safe and always conduct his safari according to the laws of the country we hunt in. Secondly, this is a more personal priority of mine is that clients are always taken care off and that they ALWAYS are put on top quality trophy animals.This does not make us a clients boss in anyway, shape or form! We are not there to boss people around or shout at them when they do not shoot quick enough. I personally believe that a client should be part of the hunt as much as possible and that a good professional hunter will make sure to include the hunter in every aspect of the hunt. After All the safari is about the whole experience and not just the killing of a animal.

To do this the PH should have good communication skills and be able to read the clients behaviour and reactions on certain things that happen throughout a safari. I always try to explain thoroughly on what our plan of action is for the day, explain decisions to clients to make sure they understand what we are doing or why we are stalking a animal in a certain way or why we did not take the animal after stalking it for 2 hours. Sometimes they are too young, if that is the case I will let the client look through his binos and point out the reasons why it is too young. When we then shoot a proper trophy they can assess it for themselves and see why we did hold out for a bigger / older animal. I feel this way the hunter will understand better and ill feelings will be spared.... I must admit I have learned this the hard way and only through experience and mistakes I made in the 15 years I have been hunting professionally with many clients and a lot of dangerous game safaris.

In my opinion we should all take advantage of technology. These days there are many ways to make sure you book with the right outfit and that you and your ph will get along well, you can even have a couple of beers together even though you are worlds apart! Personally I always try to get in a phone call, skype session or just a plain video call with a client that is interested in hunting with me. This way we can see each other and share what is expected from each other. I believe this will already tell you if your making the right decision or not. It also does help with a lot of questions that might be misunderstood via email or texts.

I am always open to help first time hunters with all their questions and planning with no obligation to booking their safari with me. To me the most important part is that the client book with a reputable outfit and that they are not disappointed in what our beautiful country has to offer. There are a lot of places in our industry that is completely different to what they look like on the internet and I want to make sure our hunters are not caught up in those traps of disappointment!

I hope this helps to your answer sir and if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me at any time!

All my best,

Jacques

I just got reading every single post here, I’m going next year in June for the first time. The information here was invaluable, incredible and fantastic!! Thank you all, even though the question was from someone else. My ph I’ll be hunting with has called a few times already and sends me pictures.

I just got reading every single post here, I’m going next year in June for the first time. The information here was invaluable, incredible and fantastic!! Thank you all, even though the question was from someone else. My ph I’ll be hunting with has called a few times already and sends me pictures.

That is great news! We always try to stay in touch with everyone but it is not always easy.... I do appreciate a text or whatsapp from my hunters every now and then as well.

Good luck on your trip sir and make sure to post some pictures on the forum after your safari!

All my best,

Jacques

Hope you have a fantastic time!!!! Good hunting :)

Don't be afraid of not taking a shot. I've turned down shots at great animals because of wind gusts, animal not facing correctly or me just not comfortable with it. Also, don't hesitate to offer suggestions to improve your chances. One windy day, I had my PH lean against my downwind side to steady me. He had never seen that one before. It worked and got me a nice springbok. Phs are good and they appreciate anything that will improve a hunter's chances.

@Fastrig It's so awesome to read through all the comments and advice. I can tell with almost 100% certainty that you are going to have a fantastic time! Your positive attitude is certainly a main contributor to that. It's great that you learned the difference between the Kudu as it will avoid disappointment. You may end up returning for another Kudu..... Hunting Africa is extremely addictive!! My first trip I hunted the East Cape and found out about the size difference, and to be honest, I was somewhat disappointed. But I'm told for an East Cape Kudu he's respectable enough. But it really is more about the experience than the trophy size. My absolute favorite hunt was my Barbary Sheep, and he is no record book trophy! I honestly don't know if I've seen a smaller one posted on here. LMAO! The hunt itself was awesome!! And for what it's worth, from what I've heard of your outfitter you've made a great choice! Have a great trip and tell us all about it when you return!
Here's pics of my Kudu and Barbary (Aoudad)
IMG_20181029_233810.jpg
IMG_20181101_004537.jpg

@Fastrig It's so awesome to read through all the comments and advice. I can tell with almost 100% certainty that you are going to have a fantastic time! Your positive attitude is certainly a main contributor to that. It's great that you learned the difference between the Kudu as it will avoid disappointment. You may end up returning for another Kudu..... Hunting Africa is extremely addictive!! My first trip I hunted the East Cape and found out about the size difference, and to be honest, I was somewhat disappointed. But I'm told for an East Cape Kudu he's respectable enough. But it really is more about the experience than the trophy size. My absolute favorite hunt was my Barbary Sheep, and he is no record book trophy! I honestly don't know if I've seen a smaller one posted on here. LMAO! The hunt itself was awesome!! And for what it's worth, from what I've heard of your outfitter you've made a great choice! Have a great trip and tell us all about it when you return!
Here's pics of my Kudu and Barbary (Aoudad)View attachment 355878 View attachment 355879

Thanks!! Sooooo much to learn and so little time. Really looking forward to the experience of Africa, learning from the trackers and PH, and hopefully getting to sample some of what we take at meals. Red Legs provided some perspective, like usual, on the trophies to expect and that brought me into reality :). Certainly glad you all are around and willing to share your experiences. FYI, that’s a beautiful pair of animals you posted. Thanks again!

Don't be afraid of not taking a shot. I've turned down shots at great animals because of wind gusts, animal not facing correctly or me just not comfortable with it. Also, don't hesitate to offer suggestions to improve your chances. One windy day, I had my PH lean against my downwind side to steady me. He had never seen that one before. It worked and got me a nice springbok. Phs are good and they appreciate anything that will improve a hunter's chances.

I appreciate that but I really don’t want to push a bad shot setup that results in a day of tracking down a wounded animal. I wouldn’t do that in the States and hoping I don’t let my excitement of Africa push me to do so there. I’ve walked away from numerous animals over the years because I wasn’t sure I could make the shot, it doesn’t bother me and makes me work on improving my stalking skills. My rule of thumb, taught to me by dad and granddad, is that if I don’t know I could make the shot at a range when I’m calm and have the leisure of time, then I have no business taking that shot in the field where those things don’t exist.

No fear,your wishes are his measure .
Be a comrade and not a hotel guest, but do not be afraid to talk about things you do not like.

Last edited:
@Fastrig I’ve only had one experience. I told them what I wanted from the start and what I hoped for and for me that was just an experience and a cull hunt.

I asked questions of them and forum members. I over think things, I ask many questions, I have an ideal in my mind of an outcome whether I am making something, asking for it to be made or planning a holiday. For the most part just accept that we all have different

Like all things sometimes our expectations and those of others will differ but try go with it and enjoy it.

Don’t over think it, don’t over plan it , don’t over react. They are trying to deliver what they “Think you want” best they can.

It should all go well there is no reason it won’t. They will set out to ensure you enjoy the experience. They will try harder than ever as they try regain clientele.

If something’s not meeting your expectations mention it and see if you can find a compromise.

On the whole just enjoy it. Go better prepared next time. .

Copy your outfitter on the thread, I made sure you just overthink stuff like I do.

Kind of what I meant by “he’s in charge”....just hope he doesn’t mind a lot of questions because I’m always curious and like to learn.

I ask loads of questions. I mean a lot. What's that sound, is that a kudu track, what kind of scat is that, how old is that track, etc., etc. I'm like you - I want the whole experience and I love to learn. I let my PH know that in advance, and he was awesome on both my hunts in 2017 and 2019. It's all about communication - have lots of conversations about how s/he likes to hunt, how you like to hunt, what's at the top of your trophy list, what other options he may have available that you haven't considered, etc. There's loads of good advice in this thread, but if I could only focus you on one thing it is communicate, communicate, communicate! Before you arrive, before you start hunting, and while you are hunting. I actually provided my PH with unvarnished, honest feedback after my hunt as well - the good and bad. They appreciated it, and my second hunt with them was even better than the first!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross