Advice on 416 scope

I appreciate all of the posts. Still considering. I bought this rifle at auction, just cleaned it and adjusted trigger. Bought rings, as they were not included with the used rifle, bought dies and brass, ordered bullets. Am looking at Trijj, and Leupold 2.5-8, but Swaro and S&B out of my price range. .....Was thinking of Leupold 1.5-5 until Rookhwk post, and agree, want a little more light gathering..............FW Bill

I'll tell you right now, anything over the Leupold is a total waste of money on a low power scope. Leupold's can take a beating and the warranty is unbeatable and it's USA made so not hard to send back, etc. I used it on bushbuck, zebra, warthog, hyenas, even a baboon (he had a bad day) along with my Buff. I shot my bushbuck at 125 yards, no problem. The buff shots are usually under 50 yards, who needs a S&B? If you want those scopes put them on a .300 or the like. Total waste imo.

NB.........thanks for the post. I have not looked at the firedot. Had not thought about the quick acquisition factor, or that $2 grand plus on a 100yd scope may be unnecessary. Save that for the 400 yarder. I will go look at these scopes at the local gun shop................FW Bill

I went with the trijicon 1-4 by 24 30mm tube, German #4 crosshairs, green lighted dot on my 416 Rigby CZ 550, and Talley QD rings. worked perfectly. Loved it so much that I bought two other ones for my sons rifles, 460 Weatherby LH (stumbled on a deal I couldn't refuse and I don't know when it will be used) and a Savage 99 in 358 Winchester (great bush rifle for moose). The lighted dot reticle is the only way to go (IMHO) in low light and on dark or black targets, I felt that the glass is as good as any and this scope really helped in shooting with both eyes open, which is beneficial in DG hunting. Quick target acquisition, a little heavy maybe but weight helps ease the recoil.

I just ordered a Leupold VX 3i 1.5-5x24 wih the German No. 4 reticle for my new 416 Rigby. It has been discontinued by Leupold with that reticle, but Midway had some in stock.

As to Trijicon, I have an Accupower 3-9x40 on my .30-06, and I like it fine. I am skeptical of the Accupoint line because once the tritium runs down, you have an expensive paperweight, and apparently Trijicon won't fix it. Does anybody have a different experience?

I just ordered a Leupold VX 3i 1.5-5x24 wih the German No. 4 reticle for my new 416 Rigby. It has been discontinued by Leupold with that reticle, but Midway had some in stock.

As to Trijicon, I have an Accupower 3-9x40 on my .30-06, and I like it fine. I am skeptical of the Accupoint line because once the tritium runs down, you have an expensive paperweight, and apparently Trijicon won't fix it. Does anybody have a different experience?

That's a good call and you will be happy with that Mike. What brand of rigby did you get? It's a beast, puts the hurt on larger game much more than a .375. I wouldn't buy Trijicon for that reason and others.

What brand of rigby did you get?

I bought an unfired Ruger RSM. It is on its way to my FFL now. The scope was just delivered, and my reloading dies and components arrived yesterday. I went with Warne QD rings which I also have on my .375 and like. I will report back.

I am skeptical of the Accupoint line because once the tritium runs down, you have an expensive paperweight, and apparently Trijicon won't fix it. Does anybody have a different experience?

I don't know why you would make a blanket statement like that about Trijicons.

Why would this scope be a paperweight after the tritium runs down? Please excuse the crappy iphone pic that makes the reticle appear to be partly missing.

IMG_1741.JPG

I currently have a Weaver Super Slam 1-5 on my 450/400 and I really like it, especially at the price point.

It is very clear and the eye relief is great. It has stood up to 300 rounds so far, with no issues.

I decide I wanted to have a reticle that can be illuminated for my upcoming Buff/Eland/Hyena hunt, so picked up a VX-6HD 1-6 with the illuminated circle/crosshair and also a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 with the same reticle and with the dual illumination (tritium and fiber optic).

As has been mentioned previously, the Trijicon is a little heavier (3 ounces by my scale), but the eye relief is better than the Leupold and I like the slightly heavier crosshairs vs the Leupold.

I think any one of the three above scopes would do a body well for the OP's application. It is nice to have such difficult choices.

Right now I am leaning toward the Trijicon.

I don't know why you would make a blanket statement like that about Trijicons.

Why would this scope be a paperweight after the tritium runs down? Please excuse the crappy iphone pic that makes the reticle appear to be partly missing.

View attachment 246019

I made the statement because that is my opinion. It is of course hyperbole, but the selling point of the scope is its illuminated reticle, and that has a finite life. I won’t be buying one unless Trijicon starts offering a refresh on the tritium. If I am going to spend that kind of money on a scope, I expect to be able to pass it down to my kids, in fully functional condition. I like my Trijicon Accupower fine, but it uses a battery that I can replace.

If you have one and are satisfied, then I am glad it is working out for you. I have handled and looked through an Accupoint mounted on a rifle, and it seems like a nice product apart from the issue we are discussing.

No Trijico accupoint will become a paper weight! The Accupoint will illuminate for eternity during day light. It’s the night illumination that will stop working after 15 plus years or so. Trijicon will recharge that part for 100 bucks. I have an Accupoint 1x4 that’s 8 years old and the illuminated reticle is still as bright in the as the day I bought it. When it stops illuminating in a pitch dark environment, I doubt I’ll send it in for a recharge. I don’t need a midnight scope to hunt with anyway.

Trijicon will recharge that part for 100 bucks.

If that is the case, then I withdraw my objection. I have seen reports on other forums of owners who asked Trijicon to recharge the tritium and Trijicon wouldn’t do it. I have no firsthand knowledge, however.

I currently have a Weaver Super Slam 1-5 on my 450/400 and I really like it, especially at the price point.

It is very clear and the eye relief is great. It has stood up to 300 rounds so far, with no issues.

I decide I wanted to have a reticle that can be illuminated for my upcoming Buff/Eland/Hyena hunt, so picked up a VX-6HD 1-6 with the illuminated circle/crosshair and also a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 with the same reticle and with the dual illumination (tritium and fiber optic).

As has been mentioned previously, the Trijicon is a little heavier (3 ounces by my scale), but the eye relief is better than the Leupold and I like the slightly heavier crosshairs vs the Leupold.

I think any one of the three above scopes would do a body well for the OP's application. It is nice to have such difficult choices.

Right now I am leaning toward the Trijicon.
Tim, I have two Weaver 1.5 x 5 by 30 mm tube Super Slam Dangerous Game scopes. One on my .375 and one on my .404. These were $500 scopes I paid around $320 each for several years ago. They were being discontinued at that time and was the reason of the price I got. They are excellent scopes! I am not comparing them to $2000 scopes. The only negative on these scopes are lack of illumination as you mentioned, particularly with black on black on a buff. But in full daylight this is not a problem. If I ever find another, I will buy it and put it on my .416 to test for holding up to that beast's recoil. Based on my experience with them, I would bet they will hold up to the .416 also. You know, I could afford a $2000 scope if I realllllllllllly wanted one. But with that being nearly half the cost of the of the hunts I have been on, that is not likely to happen! I recently talked to a pre war Rigby collector. He had the same opinion of many of the Weaver scopes that I do........and his rifles cost a whole lot more than mine!!!

I bought an unfired Ruger RSM. It is on its way to my FFL now. The scope was just delivered, and my reloading dies and components arrived yesterday. I went with Warne QD rings which I also have on my .375 and like. I will report back.

Nice, I have a CZ. Same rings, warne. Get a recoil shoulder pad!

Tim, I have two Weaver 1.5 x 5 by 30 mm tube Super Slam Dangerous Game scopes. One on my .375 and one on my .404. These were $500 scopes I paid around $320 each for several years ago. They were being discontinued at that time and was the reason of the price I got. They are excellent scopes! I am not comparing them to $2000 scopes. The only negative on these scopes are lack of illumination as you mentioned, particularly with black on black on a buff. But in full daylight this is not a problem. If I ever find another, I will buy it and put it on my .416 to test for holding up to that beast's recoil. Based on my experience with them, I would bet they will hold up to the .416 also. You know, I could afford a $2000 scope if I realllllllllllly wanted one. But with that being nearly half the cost of the of the hunts I have been on, that is not likely to happen! I recently talked to a pre war Rigby collector. He had the same opinion of many of the Weaver scopes that I do........and his rifles cost a whole lot more than mine!!!

The fire dot on the Leupold I have and recommended is SWEET. It really helps on Buff and all animals really, pick them up quick.

Tim, I have two Weaver 1.5 x 5 by 30 mm tube Super Slam Dangerous Game scopes.

I am wondering now if they had two iterations of this scope, as mine is a 1-5, not a 1.5-5.

Is yours for sure 1.5x on the low end?

Tim

I'll ditto Shootist43's comments about the Nikon African. I have the 1.1-4 x 24mm illuminated model on 416 Rigby and I like it a lot.

Just a note about the obvious: hand lap any scope on a DG rifle to at least 75% contact. Otherwise, there is a risk that it will "creep" after multiple 400gn rounds.

I'll ditto Shootist43's comments about the Nikon African. I have the 1.1-4 x 24mm illuminated model on 416 Rigby and I like it a lot.

Just a note about the obvious: hand lap any scope on a DG rifle to at least 75% contact. Otherwise, there is a risk that it will "creep" after multiple 400gn rounds.

I have the same scope on one of my 375 H&H’s and absolutely love it. Very good glass. I have it mounted in Talley quick detachable

I am wondering now if they had two iterations of this scope, as mine is a 1-5, not a 1.5-5.

Is yours for sure 1.5x on the low end?

Tim
To my knowledge they are two different scopes. The two I have are "Weaver Super Slam Dangerous Game" scopes. They are 1.5 by 5x and with 30 mm tubes and are no longer made. There are still 1-5x Super Slams made without the Dangerous Game designation and I believe they have 1 inch tubes.

To my knowledge they are two different scopes. The two I have are "Weaver Super Slam Dangerous Game" scopes. They are 1.5 by 5x and with 30 mm tubes and are no longer made. There are still 1-5x Super Slams made without the Dangerous Game designation and I believe they have 1 inch tubes.

Mine is a 30mm tube and says "Dangerous Game" on the box and the scope!

Interesting....

Mine is a 30mm tube and says "Dangerous Game" on the box and the scope!

Interesting....
Well I honestly don't have an answer then. When did you buy yours and where did you buy it (them)? My first one came from Amazon in May or so of 2014, It was immediately mounted on my M70 .375 . The second one came from Natchez on clearance in about April, 2016. It remained in my safe until Oct 2017 when it was mounted on my RSM .404.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg