Advice on 416 scope

Appreciate any thoughts on what scope some of you like best for my application: Bolt action .416 Rigby, short to medium range, dangerous game. Hopefully some buff hunters can comment on reticle......thanks.............FW Bill

I have Leupold VX6 1-6X scopes on my .375 and .458 Lott. They are mounted in Leupold QRW mounts. I’m not totally sold on the reticle or illumination. However, I’ve never used the illumination on buff. I have a Steiner P4 Xi 1-4X that I think is a better scope but it is shorter which reduces your flexibility in eye relief. If it fits your rifle it’s worth a look. I personally prefer the German style reticle (3 post).

I just had this discussion with my PH two weeks ago on my hunt. I purchased a CZ550 in 416 Rigby two years ago to begin shooting and work my muscle memory in getting used to the larger action for a future DG hunt. While I understand for the PH you might not need or want the magnification, for a client with a few more moments on their first shot, the magnification can be nice to have.

I went with a Leupold 2-8x36mm....has everything I want. On 2x it is very little difference than shooting an 1x scope. there is always distortion from the magnification effect on a 1x, even a true 1x, so going to 2x was fine with me. Being able to dial up to anywhere from 2-8x is also nice as mentioned above with any 1-8. I have the scope in a set of nice QD rings so after my first shot I can dismount if need be and am practicing it religiously. In our conversation my PH stated that he prefers a client with a scope in that 6x-8x max range (depending on the DG hunted) that they can line up for a more precise shot if need be. I guess this all depends on what your conditions are, but thats also why I practice the shot with shot and then without

I used that scope on my .375 before going to the VX6 1-6x. It’s a great scope. Lacks the illumination of the VX6 but imo has more precise crosshairs. I’m not sure the VX6 was an upgrade.

I appreciate all of the posts. Still considering. I bought this rifle at auction, just cleaned it and adjusted trigger. Bought rings, as they were not included with the used rifle, bought dies and brass, ordered bullets. Am looking at Trijj, and Leupold 2.5-8, but Swaro and S&B out of my price range. .....Was thinking of Leupold 1.5-5 until Rookhwk post, and agree, want a little more light gathering..............FW Bill

If you’re thinking 1-4x, check out the Steiner P4 Xi. Great glass.

I used that scope on my .375 before going to the VX6 1-6x. It’s a great scope. Lacks the illumination of the VX6 but imo has more precise crosshairs. I’m not sure the VX6 was an upgrade.

Leupold had a Mark 4 2-8x36 that was illuminated, but I just dont like the eyepiece housing for the Ill. reticle. More obtrusive for me, but that is purely subjective. Otherwise, that was and still would be an excellent alternative to get an illuminated reticle in that scope body.

Leupold had a Mark 4 2-8x36 that was illuminated, but I just dont like the eyepiece housing for the Ill. reticle. More obtrusive for me, but that is purely subjective. Otherwise, that was and still would be an excellent alternative to get an illuminated reticle in that scope body.

Mine is a 30mm tube and says "Dangerous Game" on the box and the scope!

Interesting....
Tim, Couldn't forget our gentlemanly argument....so I went to the gun shop that has my guns in storage in preparation for my move in about 8 weeks. I opened the .404 case to look at the scope and guess what? You were right. My Weavers are 1 - 5 x. Not 1.5 - 5. If I were younger, I might be embarrassed by this, but I'm not. Maybe 20 years ago, but not now! So you win. Let me know if you ever want to sell one for my .416!!!

If I were younger, I might be embarrassed by this, but I'm not. Maybe 20 years ago, but not now!

I hear ya bro!

These days, bragging rights come from not making a mess in my trousers. ;)

Here is the Leupold VX 3i 1.5-5x20 mounted on my RSM in Warne QD rings.
IMG_1364.JPG

ETA: Please pardon my messy workbench.

Last edited:
Looks like we were doing the same thing tonight. I just mounted a Trijicon 1-6 on my 45/400, in Alaskan QD rings.

I got low rings to help with the cheek weld...makes it a bit tight but I am sure with practice it will be fine on the reload. Had to file the rear sight, too!
IMG_0002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlinegambling-review

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you