cal pappas

Contributor
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Fellas:
While I have been selling off much of my collection of double rifles (15 gone in the past 15 months) but when one comes along that is a “must have” well, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

Yesterday I took delivery of this magnificent Holland and Holland double rifle in the rare but very powerful cartridge 20-.577. A design by Alex Henry (I believe) it was to duplicate the ballistics of the popular .577 x 3-inch black powder express with a charge of six drams (165 grains) of Curtis and Harvey’s no6 black powder and a lead bullet 650 grains in weight. (The very rare .577 3 1/4” bpe was charged with the same 6 drams but also with 7 drams or 191 grains). This 20-577 was charged with the heavier 7 drams load of black powder and is marked on the barrel flats “G 191 P” for Grains 191 Powder as well as “577 EX” and the three standard proof marks for the era: view, provisional and definitive.

Below is the translation fo the factory ledger which, in this and many instances, the penmanship shows the hand of a medical doctor! (Only one word escapes me). Note the trigger pulls are left blank.
19xxx
Birdseye + Co
20/577 bore double rifle, back
Action, extended rib
Lever over guard, lever
Fore end rebounding locks
With safety bolts, loops
For sling, pistol hand,
Cheekpiece, recoil heel plate,
Bent 2 5/8 1/16, 1 3/8 to comb (cutaway ?)
Length 14 3/8 1/16 x 14 5/16 x 14 3/4
Set off 1/4
Size of hand 4 1/2” round
Pull of locks right left
Weight of rifle 12-13
26” steel barrels 7-10
Chambered for 20/.577 case
S finishing Oct 3/95

Left of ledger: H/2500

The rifle is in excellent and original condition. The bores, while shiny, and a bit pitted the first several inches ahead of the chamber. The front sight is a very thick bead and looks to be a replacement of a finer bead as the well for the flip up night bead is empty. The rear sights are both folding and marked 50-150 and 200 yards. I absolutely love the aperture sight mounted on the top strap. “Peep” sights were my favorite 30-50 years ago in my Winchester period. The barrels are 26 inches and the pull is 14 3/4” which fits me perfectly. The action is tight on the face and the Jones patent under lever locks up tight as a bank vault. The anti recoil heel plate is a bit hard and may need replacement in the future. No engraving on this rifle but the maker’s name and the case and powder charge are engraved on the left side of the frame.

Included with the rifle were 80 brass cases stamped Holland and Holland, a single reloading die, and several year’s supply of 650-grain bullets: Woodleighs soft nose and solids, and a good quantity of homogenous solids of the same weight (which I doubt I will ever shoot) . Also included are a copy of the Holland ledger and letter from Holland stating the specifications.

Sadly, there was no name in the ledger of the original owner except Birdseye and Company so it may be impossible to learn of the rifle’s history and where it traveled. The doll’s head and action top are marked “2” so this wonderful big game rifle was one of a pair (or maybe the second of a set of three?!).

From former .577s I have sold, there is a good supply of 650-grain sized and powder coated bullets ready and waiting. This weekend I will shoot the rifle to get a target at 50 yards with the standard smokeless load on the 40% rule or 77 grains if IMR 4198 powder. The following week I will load 191 grains of six brands and granulations of black powder to get a complete set of ballistics.

I know the former owner of this Holland and have lusted over it for the past decade. When it went up for sale a few years ago it was a bit beyond my reach. When the price was lowered and it still didn’t sell the owner was to have it returned. At the time he made me an offer I could not refuse and the checkbook flew out of my pocket.

Below, enjoy four photos and the ledger page. Next week I hope to post some ballistic data. It will be interesting to see how this rifle compares to my data and notes of my former 20-.577 that is presently in the collection of another.

holland-19202-order-book-page.jpg
DSC_0713.JPG
DSC_0702.JPG
DSC_0704.JPG
DSC_0708.JPG
Thanks for looking and cheers, gentlemen.

Cal

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Cal! Let us know if you try and succeed in punching a submarine hull with that round!!! Wouldn't mind watching some of you Alaskans throwing rounds down range at next May's shoot. But don't believe I will be asking permission to shoot it! What a great historical rifle with all of the history included.

If you can't read MD then you have no reason to be in possession of this fine firearm.;);););)

Congratulations Cal. That is a superb piece of equipment and one to treasure. Hope you get to use it on a Buff hunt with MS in South Africa. Will be looking forward to your report. ;)

Congrats on the new addition! Thanks for sharing!

Another beautiful rifle Cal, thanks for sharing it with us!
Cheers,
Cody

Beautiful rifle, simply gorgeous. A little search found some correspondence of a Birdseye and Company involved with a British Syndicate purchasing Montana Mining. Dates appear to be 1890’s to 1905. Not sure if this is a tie but it’s England and around the proper time period.
Enjoy
Ed

Beautiful rifle that you will treasure for many years. Enjoy shooting it and look forward to seeing pictures from it on safari.

It is amazing to me that these babies are still around to be appreciated by those of us who understand the craftsmanship that went into creating them. Congratulations on taking this one home Cal.

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle that even Elmer Keith would respect.

Fellas:
While I have been selling off much of my collection of double rifles (15 gone in the past 15 months) but when one comes along that is a “must have” well, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

Yesterday I took delivery of this magnificent Holland and Holland double rifle in the rare but very powerful cartridge 20-.577. A design by Alex Henry (I believe) it was to duplicate the ballistics of the popular .577 x 3-inch black powder express with a charge of six drams (165 grains) of Curtis and Harvey’s no6 black powder and a lead bullet 650 grains in weight. (The very rare .577 3 1/4” bpe was charged with the same 6 drams but also with 7 drams or 191 grains). This 20-577 was charged with the heavier 7 drams load of black powder and is marked on the barrel flats “G 191 P” for Grains 191 Powder as well as “577 EX” and the three standard proof marks for the era: view, provisional and definitive.

Below is the translation fo the factory ledger which, in this and many instances, the penmanship shows the hand of a medical doctor! (Only one word escapes me). Note the trigger pulls are left blank.
19xxx
Birdseye + Co
20/577 bore double rifle, back
Action, extended rib
Lever over guard, lever
Fore end rebounding locks
With safety bolts, loops
For sling, pistol hand,
Cheekpiece, recoil heel plate,
Bent 2 5/8 1/16, 1 3/8 to comb (cutaway ?)
Length 14 3/8 1/16 x 14 5/16 x 14 3/4
Set off 1/4
Size of hand 4 1/2” round
Pull of locks right left
Weight of rifle 12-13
26” steel barrels 7-10
Chambered for 20/.577 case
S finishing Oct 3/95

Left of ledger: H/2500

The rifle is in excellent and original condition. The bores, while shiny, and a bit pitted the first several inches ahead of the chamber. The front sight is a very thick bead and looks to be a replacement of a finer bead as the well for the flip up night bead is empty. The rear sights are both folding and marked 50-150 and 200 yards. I absolutely love the aperture sight mounted on the top strap. “Peep” sights were my favorite 30-50 years ago in my Winchester period. The barrels are 26 inches and the pull is 14 3/4” which fits me perfectly. The action is tight on the face and the Jones patent under lever locks up tight as a bank vault. The anti recoil heel plate is a bit hard and may need replacement in the future. No engraving on this rifle but the maker’s name and the case and powder charge are engraved on the left side of the frame.

Included with the rifle were 80 brass cases stamped Holland and Holland, a single reloading die, and several year’s supply of 650-grain bullets: Woodleighs soft nose and solids, and a good quantity of homogenous solids of the same weight (which I doubt I will ever shoot) . Also included are a copy of the Holland ledger and letter from Holland stating the specifications.

Sadly, there was no name in the ledger of the original owner except Birdseye and Company so it may be impossible to learn of the rifle’s history and where it traveled. The doll’s head and action top are marked “2” so this wonderful big game rifle was one of a pair (or maybe the second of a set of three?!).

From former .577s I have sold, there is a good supply of 650-grain sized and powder coated bullets ready and waiting. This weekend I will shoot the rifle to get a target at 50 yards with the standard smokeless load on the 40% rule or 77 grains if IMR 4198 powder. The following week I will load 191 grains of six brands and granulations of black powder to get a complete set of ballistics.

I know the former owner of this Holland and have lusted over it for the past decade. When it went up for sale a few years ago it was a bit beyond my reach. When the price was lowered and it still didn’t sell the owner was to have it returned. At the time he made me an offer I could not refuse and the checkbook flew out of my pocket.

Below, enjoy four photos and the ledger page. Next week I hope to post some ballistic data. It will be interesting to see how this rifle compares to my data and notes of my former 20-.577 that is presently in the collection of another.

View attachment 352967 View attachment 352968 View attachment 352969 View attachment 352970 View attachment 352971 Thanks for looking and cheers, gentlemen.

Cal
Beautiful Rifle!
I had to return last night so I won’t see you today. I will however see you in the next day or so to shoot. Best to your Mom.
Be safe my friend.

Cal, as always thanks for sharing so lovingly regarding your guns. For someone who may never own, or truly appreciate, the firearms you have collected, I live vicariously through your detailed descriptions, and use. Suffice to say if one cannot enjoy in person, best to have a passionate expert to take you on the journey. Congrats!

A super find and piece. In good hands now. Congrats sir!

Congrats! It's always great to see a fine rifle in the hands of someone who appreciates and understands it.

Very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing your passion with us. That is a wonderful rifle. Too bad more of its history can't be found.
Bruce

Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen.

Ed: if you would share the source of Birdseye I would appreciate it. The rifle was made in 1895 so the time period fits.

I hope to shoot the 20-577 over the weekend. 77 grains of IMR 4198 should give ballistics of the original load. And to compare I will load 191 grains of the following black powders to compare velocity: GOEX 2F and 3F, Swiss 3F, and Olde Eynesford 1 1/2F, 2F, 3F, all with 650 grain Woodleigh soft nose bullets.

This September will see a caribou and grizzly hunt in the Talkeetna Mountains. My hunting rifle is my .450-400 Harrison and Hussey ble with a Swarovski 1-4x 30mm scope. I will check the total weight of myself, my hunting friend and doctor, and our gear. If weight allows I may just bring this 20-577 a long to see if an animal can wander into its range.

Again, thanks for the kind words.
Cal

Cal
It might be worth a call to Birdseye Mercantile in Avon Montana. A CJ Birdseye established this in 1887. His business was called Birdseye and company. He appears to be a general merchant during the gold/silver rush these types of stores were who sold firearms at the time and this also could be why it was purchased under Birdseye and Company and not a proper name. There are numerous roads and mines including also a small town named Birdseye. It appeared that he and his wife travelled overseas I believe I saw Europe and Panama and I would guess he was a very wealthy man. The gold silver rush in Montana created a lot of wealth and as I said some of the mining was purchased by a British company. I used to be pretty good at tracking things down on Google but their search engine changed dramatically in the last few months. Avon is a small town and my guess is a call to the store might yield more on the original I believe CJ Birdseye and possible either cross this off as a herring or help you with the history of your beautiful gun.
On another topic,I don’t recall the maker but I read a story on a very historical double in the 20/557 while doing a search, it wasn’t a HH but I assume you have read this.
Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross