9.3x62 plains game

Take the 9.3 don't be too technical 250gr woodleigh will work just fine and enjoy the hunt.

I also agree that your Sako 9.3 is perfectly suitable. Fixing the feed issue should be little trouble, or just use the 250 gr. bullets that feed well. Happy hunting!

Any experiences on Barnes VOR-TX loads for this? 250gr 2550fps sounds quite promising

268 grains of Swift A-Frame performance will make a PH happy and PG very, very sad.

Hi all. A friend has invited me on my first plains game hunt in South Africa later this year. I will most likely hunt Eland, kudu, wildebeest and maybe 2-3 smaller species. I have a 9.3x62 sako that I’m quite familiar with and shoot well. It has a 1.5-6x42 Zeiss Diavari with asv turret. I have loads for 250 grain Woodleigh round noses and 250 grain Nosler that group well. I have just ordered a 300 weatherby with a 26 inch barrel for for long range sambar shooting that will arrive before my trip. What rifle would you recommend?
Perfect calibre! The 9.3x62 will take everything except DG in a tight situation. It has a great reputation, and was the "do-all" calibre of Africa before the .375HH came along. Though not needed, my PH was ready with his Lott when I used my 9.3x62 to make a 1-shot kill on my cape buff in June last year (if interested, a pic of it is in the 2020 Woodleigh Bullet Catalogue).

Best of luck on your hunt!!
(y)

the 286 gn 9.3mm partition is NOT a big game bullet.
the nose blows off immediately, and this not only reduces its weight immediately, but can change the direction of penetration.
don't ask me how I know this!
I can say that I was extremely surprised and disappointed by 9.3mm with this bullet as the first tested.
fortunately other bullets were tried and the performance of the calibre revealed itself.
the partition's best purpose would be side on lung shots on elk sized game.
guys hunting buff with this bullet are dicing with death unknowingly.
if you want a lighter bullet, consider the 250 gn barnes, otherwise the 286 0r 300 gn swift will do your job.
sounds like your rifle needs a bit of work in the feeding department.
bruce.

Not needed for PG but 9.3 Norma Oryx is also available in heavy for calibre 325gr version.

the 286 gn 9.3mm partition is NOT a big game bullet.
the nose blows off immediately, and this not only reduces its weight immediately, but can change the direction of penetration.
don't ask me how I know this!
I can say that I was extremely surprised and disappointed by 9.3mm with this bullet as the first tested.
fortunately other bullets were tried and the performance of the calibre revealed itself.
the partition's best purpose would be side on lung shots on elk sized game.
guys hunting buff with this bullet are dicing with death unknowingly.
if you want a lighter bullet, consider the 250 gn barnes, otherwise the 286 0r 300 gn swift will do your job.
sounds like your rifle needs a bit of work in the feeding department.
bruce.
I agree with your comments using partition bullets in the 9.3x62 - and with the superb bullets available today IMO you'd be an idiot to use anything less than a well constructed bullet. I was amazed how PHs and those in the industry I've met hold it is still a very good client calibre - and especially for those conscious of heavy recoiling rifles - for use on buffalo. I repeat it is NOT a calibre to be used on aroused/wounded DG (aka "in a tight spot"). That said, I was staggered to read PH Dr Robertson's statement that his Brno 9.3x62 has taken over 600 cape buffalo!! He still uses it for recoil conscious clients to accurately place that all important first round.

My reasons for using my 9.3x62 was because upon departure the airport manager refused to permit me to check-in both my 458 and 9.3x62 reloads. So, I flew to Africa without ammo, only sourcing some 9.3x62 ammunition after arrival. Therefore, I had little choice in the matter of calibre to use. But, I was reassured by my PH and all those I'd met, that the 9.3x62 is an ideal client calibre in the right situations for buffalo.

As it was I hit my buffalo with a right frontal quartering shot. The 286gr bullet penetrated through all the ensuing shoulder muscles, lungs, blood vessels and heart and was found just under the skin behind the off rear rib: A straight line penetration of about 36-40". At the shot my buffalo immediately sagged, slowly walked 10yds, wobbled, and then rolled over. My 9.3x62 did the job perfectly, without fuss - and I couldn't be happier!!

IMG-20191108-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20190612-WA0009.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with your comments using partition bullets in the 9.3x62 - and with the superb bullets available today IMO you'd be an idiot to use anything less than a well constructed bullet. I was amazed how PHs and those in the industry I've met hold it is still a very good client calibre - and especially for those conscious of heavy recoiling rifles - for use on buffalo. I repeat it is NOT a calibre to be used on aroused/wounded DG (aka "in a tight spot"). That said, I was staggered to read PH Dr Robertson's statement that his Brno 9.3x62 has taken over 600 cape buffalo!! He still uses it for recoil conscious clients to accurately place that all important first round.

My reasons for using my 9.3x62 was because upon departure the airport manager refused to permit me to check-in both my 458 and 9.3x62 reloads. So, I flew to Africa without ammo, only sourcing some 9.3x62 ammunition after arrival. Therefore, I had little choice in the matter of calibre to use. But, I was reassured by my PH and all those I'd met, that the 9.3x62 is an ideal client calibre in the right situations for buffalo.

As it was I hit my buffalo with a right frontal quartering shot. The 286gr bullet penetrated through all the ensuing shoulder muscles, lungs, blood vessels and heart and was found just under the skin behind the off rear rib: A straight line penetration of about 36-40". At the shot my buffalo immediately sagged, slowly walked 10yds, wobbled, and then rolled over. My 9.3x62 did the job perfectly, without fuss - and I couldn't be happier!!

View attachment 323838
View attachment 323842

What ammo were you using?

Nice Buff, Congrats!!!

Thanks!! Fortunately I was able to buy some left over reloads (using Woodleigh 286gr RNSN) from a local resident hunter - since no 458 Win Mag or 9.3x62 ammunition was commercially available. I took both rifles with me - one for buffalo and the other for PG - but the ammunition was refused boarding onto the aircraft. The excuse given was because my ammunition was reloaded at home (and therefore manufactured without quality controls) as opposed to factory ammunition (which is).

The airport manager (I remember his name as Shaun) at Perth Int'l deliberately deceived me. He spotted my rifles and came over to engage in friendly convesation about hunting. He immediately told me he was also a hunter, and so we got talking. As a reloader, he asked about my ammunition, and I described them as "reloads". Right there and then his attitude changed and prohibited their check-in onto the aircraft!! He still refused when told I'd received authorisation from the airline to board with ammunition in my luggage!! IMO "Shaun" is an officious little bastard - who remained resolute even when shown the airline's Regulations which made NO distinctions in the handling or boarding of factory or reloaded ammunition!! And note, all this took place 40mins before boarding my flight!!

As it was I couldn't leave the ammunition in the airport, or discard it - both being a hazard and security risks - so had to call family to pick up the ammunition asap. They came in the nick of time: just enough to go directly through the gates and board. So take this as a warning - do NOT mention your ammo are reloads - otherwise they won't be boarding the aircraft with you!!

Lastly, my 9.3x62 is a custom stocked Belgian FN Mauser, fitted with a Sprinter barrel and a 3-9x Burris scope. By staying within the rifle's envelope, such as stalking in to under 200Iyds, I took all my other PG on the hunt cleanly and efficiently.
(y)

Last edited:
That’s disgraceful treatment from that clown, mate! One of the reasons I chose to leave from Sydney.
Yep!! A jumped up little Hitler!! But I fear all airlines will follow suit in their policy against supporting any sport/trophy hunting activities. I suppose by tumbling empties, and using "clean" branded ammo boxes, reloads might pass as shiny new factory loads?

funny spitzers won't feed but round nose will.
it is usually the other way around.
bruce.

Yep!! A jumped up little Hitler!! But I fear all airlines will follow suit in their policy against supporting any sport/trophy hunting activities. I suppose by tumbling empties, and using "clean" branded ammo boxes, reloads might pass as shiny new factory loads?

Clean them up and put them in a factory box and you will have no trouble.

268 grains of Swift A-Frame performance will make a PH happy and PG very, very sad.

268 grains was not aware they made.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,