9.3x62 plains game

question what is the 9.3x62 comparable to in US designation?
It falls between the 35Whelen and the 375H&H.
Maybe throw in the 358WM for good measure.
No real EXACT duplicate cartridge.

Good for impala and just about anything else you might want. I used that very bullet in my 9.3 in Namibia, no complaints at all. One shot kudu bull, couple of oryx, hartebeest. Used it on another hunt for blue wildebeest and waterbuck but with the 250 Barnes Triple Shock which is a tougher bullet and shot well in my rifle with the same load. Load was 61.5 grs of IMR4064 for just over 2500 fps.
Sorry, I meant Eland (was typing half asleep). The 250 grain Barnes would be the other load I’d consider. But the Accubond shoots very well.

They both shot well in my rifles. I would not hesitate to shoot eland with one with either bullet, but would prefer the Barnes for eland.

I would highly recommend a 9.3 × 62 Mauser . With the 286 grain bullet , it is the perfect intermediary between a plains game cartridge and a dangerous game cartridge ( not counting the .375 Holland & Holland magnum ) .
I am not saying that .300 Weatherby is a bad cartridge . Certainly not. However , l am personally not a big fan of Weatherby cartridges or rifles . Their maker seems to prioritize velocity above every other factor without taking other elements into consideration , which has produced some counter productive results in the field , especially during the 1960s when l was guiding clients for shikar in Nagpur , India .
The 9.3 × 62 , on the other hand is a time honored classic which is perfect for your application. All the best.

The 286 grain partitions did not want to feed due to the soft point hitting the back of the chamber, chipping off some lead and then it would prevent it chambering. I fixed this by using the accubonds and the Woodleigh round nose. My main concern is that the 250 grain Accubond is too soft for eland.

They you should try either a Partition or the Barnes or other tougher bullet.

It falls between the 35Whelen and the 375H&H.
Maybe throw in the 358WM for good measure.
No real EXACT duplicate cartridge.
With some of the loadings quoted by some hand loaders more adventurous than I:eek:, it might also be compared favorably to the .338 Win mag.

9.3x62 with Barnes TSX and 52g 4064.

The 286 grain partitions did not want to feed due to the soft point hitting the back of the chamber, chipping off some lead and then it would prevent it chambering. I fixed this by using the accubonds and the Woodleigh round nose. My main concern is that the 250 grain Accubond is too soft for eland.
Have you considered using the Woodleigh soft points ?

Have you considered using the Woodleigh soft points ?
It’s the soft points that won’t feed. I’d imagine the Woodleigh soft points would be very similar to the partition. I’d imagine the Woodleigh round nose would kill just as well. But they do affect the range.

thank you Major khan and beemaa .I have a hard time wrapping my head around metric calibers
Think of the 9.3x62 as a .36-06

My son and I use a 9.3x62. His is a CZ550 shooting 250gr TTSX with 2000MR getting around 2550 f/s. He has taken all the game you've mentioned except Eland with excellent results. I shoot the 9.3x62 250gr TTSX with 62.2grs CFE223 out of a Blaser and get a little over 2500 f/s but have only taken a Moose with it. I think the 9.3x62 will serve you very well in Africa.

Another vote for the 9.3x62.

The 9.3 x 62 and the 35 Whelen are ballistically kissing cousins. Even more so if the Whelen is being fed handloads. The bullet most normally used in the 9.3 x 62 is .366" in diameter and weighs 286 grs. Similarly the bullet most normally used in the Whelen is .358" and weighs 250 grs. Lighter than "normal" bullets in both calibers allow them to shoot a little flatter and hit a little harder.

It’s the soft points that won’t feed. I’d imagine the Woodleigh soft points would be very similar to the partition. I’d imagine the Woodleigh round nose would kill just as well. But they do affect the range.

If it does not feed it is a rifle problem not an ammunition problem. In your case it sounds like the feeding ramp may need some work done.

Affect the range? 286 grn is the standard bullet weight for that caliber. It has more than enough range for the animals you mention. 36 grn less is not going to effect the range in any way. If you want lighter bullets at higher velocity, step down in caliber, many available.

I am always amazed that so many hunters buy excellent calibers and then attempt to hot rod them by dropping bullet weight.

If it does not feed it is a rifle problem not an ammunition problem. In your case it sounds like the feeding ramp may need some work done.

Affect the range? 286 grn is the standard bullet weight for that caliber. It has more than enough range for the animals you mention. 36 grn less is not going to effect the range in any way. If you want lighter bullets at higher velocity, step down in caliber, many available.

I am always amazed that so many hunters buy excellent calibers and then attempt to hot rod them by dropping bullet weight.
I meant the Woodleigh round nose affects the range. I’d have no issues using the partitions if they would feed.

I have used the 250 accubon on diker to blue wildebeest. My shot on the blue was a quartering to shot that broke the left front shoulder travelled the length of the body and was recovered just under the skin on the right rear hip. It was expanded perfectly and retained 218 gr. The rifle was a 9.3x74R TC encore. On the last safari my 9.3x62 was used on Klipspringer to waterbuck got complete pass through on everything I shot. I used a aframe on my eland from the 9.3 double, but do think the accubon would hold up on them.

I meant the Woodleigh round nose affects the range. I’d have no issues using the partitions if they would feed.

At all practical ranges in Africa that will make zero difference

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!