7 Millimeter Remington Magnum Adequate For Hunting Eland?

Panther Shooter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Bangladesh Shooting Federation
Hunted
Bangladesh, India
Hello,
I am a new member of this forum and I shall be going on a plains game hunt to Namibia with my family in 2021 or 2022 ( at latest ) . My go to rifle since 1976 has been a 7 millimeter Remington Magnum ; a custom job built by a master American custom rifle maker based in Oregon , on a Springfield Model 1903 receiver . Amongst other plains game on the menu , I have always dreamt about bagging a fine bull eland for as many years as I have been wanting to go on my very first African safari . However , my close friend, fellow forum member, former commanding officer and compatriot , @Major Khan tells me that a 7 millimeter Remington Magnum may prove to be a little bit on the lighter side for elands . I would like all of your thoughts and experienced advice on this matter. I currently use two loads in my 7 millimeter Remington Magnum . When I use hand loads , my preferred bullet of choice happens to be the Barnes TSX soft nose . When I use factory loaded ammunition , my go to ammunition is the Remington Core Lokt 175 grain soft nose .
If all of you suggest that the 7 millimeter Remington Magnum can bag a bull eland acceptably well , then all is good. If all of you suggest that I should use different bullets in my 7 millimeter Remington Magnum for hunting bull elands , then I am perfectly willing to change my current choice of ammunition . If all of you suggest that I should step up in caliber , then no problem . I will happily use a .338 Winchester Magnum or a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum from my safari outfitters for hunting the eland . I have a considerable amount of experience with using a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum , as well .
With very best wishes ,
Panther Shooter
PS : I apologize if the question is a naive one . While I have been hunting for roughly fifty years ( including dangerous game ) , I am practically a newbie when it comes to African game and the suitable rifle calibers for each African game animal.

Last edited:
I took my eland with a .30-06 shooting gmx bullets. I believe the 7mm rem mag hits harder and with a better bullet the tsx you should be fine. I agree both of these are on the lighter side and there is little margin of error. But right shot in the right place and you will kill that eland. Good luck.

I am sure piles of Eland have been killed with 7x57 and 7x64. If I was going to use a 7mm win mag, I would likely use a 175gr A-Frame or 168gr LRX, depending on your twist rate and what shoots best.

Having said that, I would use my outfitter's rifle and not risk it. I like as much margin to be in my favor as possible.

Panther Shooter a bull Eland can weigh 2200 lbs. A 7mm Mag. would not be my first choice. On the other hand if you were looking for meat and took only head shots an accomplished shooter like yourself could keep his freezer full with your rifle and load.

I think good bullet choice is more important. I would stay away from the Remington core lokts, they are not built for heavier game. Barnes and Swift A-frame are two bullet choices you can't go wrong with. You should talk with your PH about what he is comfortable with. There can be major size differences in Eland in Namibia depending which part you are in and how old the bull is. I would definitely want a 375 for the largest eland in photo attached if I had a choice (in Jamy Traut Safari's area in Caprivi)

eland 1.PNG
eland 2.PNG
eland 3.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
I would use a 175 grs premium bullet and study shot placement the 2 most important thins. My first Eland was with a 30-06 using a 180 gr Remington factory ammo, hit the heart and it drop where it stood.

Spooksar said " would use a 175 grs premium bullet and study shot placement the 2 most important thins. My first Eland was with a 30-06 using a 180 gr Remington factory ammo, hit the heart and it drop where it stood."

Amazing how simple such issues are for experienced hunters that know their rifles (and game).

Now if you plan to shoot them running at 400 yards, you may need an F16 or even an A10 Warthog with the 30 MM cannon.

I took mine with a 375HH and Barnes 350gr TSX. They are a very big and extremely tough critter and can soak up lead like a sponge if not hit correctly. I'd say 375HH to be safe. Best of luck to you, Sir.

Good day, I have taken moose with my 7MM rem mag 175 gr nosler partitions however on my first safari to South Africa I used the 7MM for everything but the eland which I used my .375 H&H.

I took mine with a .338WM and 200gr Swift AFrame, but I have also seen it done with a .25-06.

Shot placement is what really counts.

3C252BA6-8073-45CF-A1F1-15793908D48F.jpeg
I am not the most experienced on this forum but I did kill 3 eland last September. My rifle is a 7 mm SAUM. I have 180 gr Berger bullets going 2900 FPS. The SAUM is very similar to the regular Remington Magnum. The 1st 2 were in the southern part of RSA. So they were Cape eland. Both were one shot kills.
The 3rd was in Zambia. Patterson’s eland. HUGE bull. He was starting to stager from the first shot when I hit him again. His body size was bigger than my Cape buffalo.
The 7mm is on the bottom end of what I consider adequate for eland. In Namibia I suspect you will be hunting in somewhat open areas and the 7mm should work fine.
I did a hunt report on AH should you care to read more about it. A simple search should pull it up.

i used a .375 H&H mag on my eland, just for the reason that a failed kill could result in paying for a lost animal. they can be very large and as a former poster said hit wrong thay can take alot of killing.

DSCN9033 (4).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg