6.5x55mm for Plains Game?

Joseph,
You are a little behind the curve on this one. All that ballyhoo about Rems going off was proven to be pretty much poppy cock. I saw the TV show you mention, largely crap. My dad once tried to tell me the same thing as "it" happened to him one time. But I know damn well it was careless handling that did. I have owned and still own many 700's over the years, both old and new and never had one go off without help from my trigger finger. Its not impossible of course, it could happen but I seriously doubt the US military would keep going back and using such a dangerous rifle it was true. Sometimes when triggers get lightened a bit too much it can produce a slam fire of sorts. Perhaps there was some of that going on if anything.

Please tell me, I am dreaming to know-WHAT does this have to do with the other Forum? :banghead: Do you have the old or new model? Answer me that.

All my current ones are 2000 or newer. I had an older one for a long time, my first rifle, but decided several years ago to trade it for a .410 SxS for my kids. The reference to the other forum was jokingly made after seeing your "member of" list. Don't beat your head against the wall ... looks painful. I have a few Rugers as well. Bill Ruger was a genius.

All my current ones are 2000 or newer. I had an older one for a long time, my first rifle, but decided several years ago to trade it for a .410 SxS for my kids. The reference to the other forum was jokingly made after seeing your "member of" list. Don't beat your head against the wall ... looks painful. I have a few Rugers as well. Bill Ruger was a genius.
I just joined the Ruger Forums because Trigger Creep is on there. Yes, we do talk about weapons, lots of weapons to be excact. It is useful for reviews on any weapon-Ruger or not, I own a Remington Model Six.:) I like banging my head against a wall-so do my friends! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Well said Oldsarge. I believe MOA means squat in a hunting rifle. If you can hit a dinner plate size object offhand at 100yds, you will get a lot of game.
Totally agree on 9.3x62.

Joseph,
You are a little behind the curve on this one. All that ballyhoo about Rems going off was proven to be pretty much poppy cock. I saw the TV show you mention, largely crap. My dad once tried to tell me the same thing as "it" happened to him one time. But I know damn well it was careless handling that did. I have owned and still own many 700's over the years, both old and new and never had one go off without help from my trigger finger. Its not impossible of course, it could happen but I seriously doubt the US military would keep going back and using such a dangerous rifle it was true. Sometimes when triggers get lightened a bit too much it can produce a slam fire of sorts. Perhaps there was some of that going on if anything.

Totally agree. My old profession uses the heck out of 700's in some of the very worst corners of the world in awful conditions. They are accurate and dependable. I love a mauser and so I use them, but if someone wanted to will me a Jarrett in .300 WM ...... Not sure how this urban legend started, but it is just that.

The Remington 700 is not a dangerous firearm by any means. I personally don't own one, but my father owned one in .22-250 and that gun was accurate reliable, and rather pretty and he often says that he shouldn't have ever sold that rifle. I know other people who own or have owned Remington 700's and I haven't heard of any bad experiences from them. It appears that most of the rifles that accidentally discharged were all monkeyed with in some way, whether it be that they weren't taken good care of or they were modified by some basement or garage gunsmith. I used to swallow all that stuff about them being junk as well, but I find it hard to believe anymore. All gun companies turn out the occasional lemon, Remington included.

As far as the original topic, the 6.5X54 MS was used in Africa, and it is my understanding that it was quite successful. If the 6.5X55 is the biggest gun she can handle, then I'd reccomend a premium bullet (Nosler Partition would be a good choice) that weighs at least 140 grains. If she places her shots well, all will go over just fine. If she can handle something bigger (.270, 7X57, .30-06, etc.) it would definitely be a better choice than the 'ol 6.5 Swede.

Joseph, Slamming Remington is way off topic here, but, I have to chime in on this one.... I am an AVID Remington 700 user, currently own 6 and have probably owned more than 100 over the coarse of my shooting career. I have never, I repeat never had an discharge on any of them unless I pulled the trigger. The thought of touching the bolt on the 15th shot is ignorant, any rifle manufacturer worth their salt would never allow it to happen. I own Winchester, Ruger, Savage, Mossberg, just to name a few, and have never had an issue with any of them, and to suggests it happens regularly enough to be an issue would have to be proven to me in person, "The show me state". Like sestoppelman pointed out earlier in this post, I would have to agree, it is more likely that the accidental discharges were from operator error. (It is always easier to blame someone else for your ignorance)....

As far as the 6.5 it is a fine cartridge, and if she put's the bullet where it needs to be, then you will be eating good at night. Use a premium bullet for insurance.

Joseph, Slamming Remington is way off topic here, but, I have to chime in on this one.... I am an AVID Remington 700 user, currently own 6 and have probably owned more than 100 over the coarse of my shooting career. I have never, I repeat never had an discharge on any of them unless I pulled the trigger. The thought of touching the bolt on the 15th shot is ignorant, any rifle manufacturer worth their salt would never allow it to happen. I own Winchester, Ruger, Savage, Mossberg, just to name a few, and have never had an issue with any of them, and to suggests it happens regularly enough to be an issue would have to be proven to me in person, "The show me state". Like sestoppelman pointed out earlier in this post, I would have to agree, it is more likely that the accidental discharges were from operator error. (It is always easier to blame someone else for your ignorance)....

As far as the 6.5 it is a fine cartridge, and if she put's the bullet where it needs to be, then you will be eating good at night. Use a premium bullet for insurance.
If the Remington 700 was junk it wouldn't be selling do well. Except for the rare bolt handle snapping off, there really isn't many problems with the rifle. It is the same as any other rifle in that price range, 99 out of 100 times it is going to be a great rifle. 1 rifle out of 100 is bound to have some kind of issue... They are after all mass produced.

I have a personal objection to trigger block safeties. I don't mean just Remington's, I don't want any of them. Papa Mauser knew what he was doing when he designed a safety that blocked the striker. That's what I like. All my rifles whether CZ, Brno, BSA, M98 or Greener all have striker block safeties whether they came with one or not. Others may find their milage differs.

My personal opinion is that the 6,5 is a better choice than the 308. But they may be on the light side both, allthough I think they will make an eland just as dead as bigger stuff. As for the Remington 700 discussion, I think the 700 is a great rifle, had one for many years with no problems. I also have a Ruger M77 and that is also a great rifle.

I have 3 Weatherby Vanguards and a Howa - though of course the Vanguards are made by Howa.

I think the Howa Vanguard action is vastly superior to the Remington. To begin with its the bolt handle is a single piece unit, secondly its has a proper extractor and
each one of my rifles shoot under an inch with handloads.

Unfortunately the Howa is not available in Australia in 6.5x55 otherwise I would have one! A great caliber but I do happen to have just got one on a Zastava which is showing signs of being a great rifle!

I would have no hesitation in hunting Eland with a 6.5 and good bullets. I am sure that 160 gn Woodleigh Protected Point at an achievable 2500 fps would work very nicely with good shot placement!

If she can handle something bigger (.270, 7X57, .30-06, etc.) it would definitely be a better choice than the 'ol 6.5 Swede.

Now, this is probably going to open another can of worms, but seriously, the ballistic differences between the 6.5x55 and the 7x57 are negligible. The .270 is also very close to the other two, too close to warrant switching from 6.5x55 for "more punch". The 30-06, agreed, is a totally different kettle of fish, definitely several steps up in punch, but unfortunately at both ends of the rifle...

Personally, I don't doubt for a second that the 6.5x55 would be effective for use on plains game provided good bullets are used. However, I am confused as to whether or not it would meet minimum caliber requirements in places like Namibia or RSA. I keep reading conflicting information on this and have yet to read anything that definitively clarifies the issue.

My "heavy" rifle will be a .375 H&H. For my light rifle, I would like to use a 7x57 or a 6.5x55. The 7x57 is clearly legal for plains game everywhere. Ballistically, the 6.5x55 should be just as effective. Does it qualify legally? I don't know.

If you load your 6.5x55 with 140 grain Swift A-frame bullets I am sure it will kill very well if you put the bullet where it should be.
If you want something that hits harder, you will need a 30-06 or bigger. But it hits harder on the shoulder too, and that is not good for the ability to hit the right spot if the person is a bit recoil shy.
I am sure any PH prefers a smaller bullet in the chest than a bigger one in the guts:)

Well I'll say it if no one else will can I kill pg with a BB gun? Learning to shoot a reasonable caliber rifle is to loud and a bit scarey. maybe I'll stick to kniting.
Shooting is not an inate skill it must be learned so learn to to shoot something reasonable.

Well I'll say it if no one else will can I kill pg with a BB gun? Learning to shoot a reasonable caliber rifle is to loud and a bit scarey. maybe I'll stick to kniting.
Shooting is not an inate skill it must be learned so learn to to shoot something reasonable.

I am not sure I understand what you mean here.

Don't you think the 6.5x55 is good enough for hunting PG?

Or it just that you think everybody not able to shoot a big bore should take up knitting?

the 6.6x55 with premium bullets is fine for PG. its just that from what i can pickup from other threads BARTFRNCS seems to think that people should only use calibres of .338, or preferably .375 and upwards for hunting PG, and he seems to hate the .308 for some reason.:headscratch:

Damn man, drop the DS attitude, you are amonst friends here, a lot of us former G.I.'s who don't need a refresher course of boot camp. I don't (and expect others) to give recomendations, but don't slam some one for their choice of caliber. If it works for them, let it keep on working.

Is it wrong to have opinions? I know everyone cant shoot heavy caliber carts but a Sable costs 14000USD or there abouts. Should you really be asking hummm whats the smallest round I can use? Yes I have a very low opinion of the 308 I know its limitations they are great for the white tail woods but unless your in Kansas or Texas you dont have to pay for game that awe shucks got away.I also am a retired US Army Infantry soldier so I used it for 22years 6 Tours in Iraq and Afganistan trust me when I say its inefective at best.

I to was 11B and found it to be the most effective.... I am sorry but, yes I do disagree with you, I think a well placed shot with 223 will beat a gut shot from a 577. There are too many people that buy into the mentality that you need a Wm, or a WSM or whatever supermagnum, but, plain and simple there has been to much game fall to the 308 and 3006 to bad mouth them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg