577 NE double rifles

Was gonna say the same haha.

I do appreciate the exaggeration, but it's a bit like holding a fish further from your body.
Now my 8-bore does look like that compared to a 470! :E Rofl:
 
I’ve just had the chance to handle 2 x 577’s.
One a Heym 89B and the other a Verney Carron.

The heym was a fair bit lighter, longer barrels balanced perfectly.
The Verney Carron is a fair bit heavier, could be more of a challenge to carry, shorter barrels but also balanced perfectly.

Both came up to the shoulder very nicely and pointed easily.
I fired the VC off hand at a target 50yds away and it was not a challenge on recoil. The balance and weight took up the recoil to a point that it doesn’t feel like much more than a light 458lott.
A nice solid push, not much barrel flip and easy to come back onto target.

Surprisingly less felt recoil than I expected.
 
I’ve just had the chance to handle 2 x 577’s.
One a Heym 89B and the other a Verney Carron.

The heym was a fair bit lighter, longer barrels balanced perfectly.
The Verney Carron is a fair bit heavier, could be more of a challenge to carry, shorter barrels but also balanced perfectly.

Both came up to the shoulder very nicely and pointed easily.
I fired the VC off hand at a target 50yds away and it was not a challenge on recoil. The balance and weight took up the recoil to a point that it doesn’t feel like much more than a light 458lott.
A nice solid push, not much barrel flip and easy to come back onto target.

Surprisingly less felt recoil than I expected.
While I've never handled a Heym 577, I have handled a Verney Carron 577 and thought very highly of the example I handled. Sadly, I have not had a chance to shoot any modern example of a 577.

I have shot a few vintage 577's and my personal favorite was an Army & Navy double that a gentleman brought to one of Cal Pappas's double rifle shoots. Apparently both me and Cal had offered to buy the rifle from the owner :LOL:.
 
While I've never handled a Heym 577, I have handled a Verney Carron 577 and thought very highly of the example I handled. Sadly, I have not had a chance to shoot any modern example of a 577.

I have shot a few vintage 577's and my personal favorite was an Army & Navy double that a gentleman brought to one of Cal Pappas's double rifle shoots. Apparently both me and Cal had offered to buy the rifle from the owner :LOL:.
If you get the chance have a look at the heym. It felt better in hand than the VC.
 
If you get the chance have a look at the heym. It felt better in hand than the VC.
I'm more interested in how a gun shoots. I owned a Heym double in 500 NE at one point and ended up selling it because I found it unpleasant to shoot. With that said, ANY double gun in 577 NE is so rare that I would likely not pass up the chance to at least try shooting it.
 
Did it come with a gun bearer ?I'm just kidding :)

These rifles used during the hey day of elephant hunting, or ivory trade in Africa, and in Shikar's in India, had dedicated hunting party to hold and take care of all your hunting equipments.
Sold togheter with a gun bearer...Higly Reccomended !!!I am NOT just kidding
 
A .577 BPE is very different than Nitro Express. It was created with soft skinned dangerous game in mind and was effective on lions and tigers inside 100 yards. It neither was nor is now a smart choice for buffalo or especially elephant. Up until the debut of Nitro powder rifles, it was a fairly common choice for use from Houdah's on driven tiger (though even then the quicker and lighter .500 BPE was more popular). On such a hunt, the elephant was acting as gun bearer.
 
Last edited:
@SStomcat
I will beg to differ with the effectiveness of the 577 BPE. In 2018 I took a very large old giraffe with a 650 gr soft 1850fps through the shoulder heart and lodged against the far shoulder. As it ran I put a second through the lungs that was a complete pass through. The animal traveled 40 yards and went down.
 

Attachments

  • 577double.JPG
    577double.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
@SStomcat
I will beg to differ with the effectiveness of the 577 BPE. In 2018 I took a very large old giraffe with a 650 gr soft 1850fps through the shoulder heart and lodged against the far shoulder. As it ran I put a second through the lungs that was a complete pass through. The animal traveled 40 yards and went down.
Absolutely,

In context of big game like Cape Buffalo, or Elephant with thick skin, muscle mass and large bones, I have honestly no idea but have been told by those that have a lot more experience that it is less than ideal.
So feel free to disagree and correct me if my understanding does not align with yours.
 
@SStomcat
I only commented as you mention "A Black Powder express not any more good than just having some fun at the range".

With a 650gr .585 solid (Kinda pre expanded compared to smaller rounds) at 1850 I would say it is buffalo capable out to say 60 yards. Most folks don't think about a giraffe's true size, plus the bones are as big and even denser than a buffs. not to mention that the skin is even thicker. (they just don't have the attitude of buffalo) But the hunter with the 577 BPE would need to take shots like say a 9.3 or 375. Perfect broadside shots and be willing to walk away from less than optimum presentations on buffalo. WOULD NOT use a bpe on elephant, rhino, or hippo on land.

I have two 577 singles that I normally shoot at BPE levels. I do also load 600gr and 650gr modern bullets at 2150 or 750gr at 2000. Two totally different experiences with between a nitro express and BPE class of rifles.

My problem is I love hunting DG with a double. all of my DG has been taken with one of my doubles.
450NE, 500/416, 450/400, and 9.3x74. With the exception of my leopard.

I Backed a buddy up on his elephant with a 500 Jeff bolt gun as the only exception.
 
@SStomcat
I only commented as you mention "A Black Powder express not any more good than just having some fun at the range".

With a 650gr .585 solid (Kinda pre expanded compared to smaller rounds) at 1850 I would say it is buffalo capable out to say 60 yards. Most folks don't think about a giraffe's true size, plus the bones are as big and even denser than a buffs. not to mention that the skin is even thicker. (they just don't have the attitude of buffalo) But the hunter with the 577 BPE would need to take shots like say a 9.3 or 375. Perfect broadside shots and be willing to walk away from less than optimum presentations on buffalo. WOULD NOT use a bpe on elephant, rhino, or hippo on land.


My problem is I love hunting DG with a double. all of my DG has been taken with one of my doubles.
450NE, 500/416, 450/400, and 9.3x74. With the exception of my leopard.

I Backed a buddy up on his elephant with a 500 Jeff bolt gun as the only exception.
This is the beauty of a forum like this. Thank you for clarifying my understanding.
I may still use my nitro double on Buff, as I do not own any BPE but it always helps to be educated.
I won’t call hunting DG with double a problem I would rather call it passion or good problem
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,317
Messages
1,572,776
Members
169,618
Latest member
HaiB510725
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top