. 416 Ruger

Viral_SIGness

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I want one to go with my. 375, but non are for sale. So I'm mainly interested in your load work.

I've heard the .416 Ruger has to be twisted up to max pressure to match the other. 416's. So I'm definitely interested in both 20" and 23" load data.

So let's discuss the lesser loved of the Ruger twins.

Hi, I own a custom Mauser 66 in .416 Ruger with 24" barrel.
The propellant I use is the Hodgdon CFE223, LRM primers and Hornady brass.
With 74grs CFE223 behind the 400grs A-Frame the Magnetospeed says 705 m/s, the proof house says below 4000 bar pressure.
The 350grs Barnes Banded Solid with 79grs CFE223 has been measured with 760 m/s.
COL 84,5mm.

My Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan (20”) shoots a 400gr Barnes TSX @ 2365 fps using Power Pro 80gr 2000MR powder and Federal 215 primers. The Hornady factory load gives 2380 fps.

My Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan (20”) shoots a 400gr Barnes TSX @ 2365 fps using Power Pro 80gr 2000MR powder and Federal 215 primers. The Hornady factory load gives 2380 fps.
I dont mean to sound argumentative. But I believe there is no way in hell a 20" barrel on a .416 Ruger. The .375 Ruger, exceeds the H&H without over-pressure. The .416 Ruger however, is not as efficient as the .375, and especially not in a 20" tube. Was the chrono at 2 feet ? What kind of speed can be temp unstable in your climates ? What brand chrono? I'm sorry, but after my extensive testing with a 20 and 23 in .375 Ruger, I know the .416 isn't safe to shoot that hot.

LabRadar. Before I had that, a Magnetospeed gave virtually identical results.
I used that load in Zim in ‘13. No pressure issues.
I did a chronograph comparison a couple of years back and it included the .416.

All said, seems like no one, no dealers have a 416 Ruger for sale. What's the deal with that?

I am using the 2000-MR to work up a load for the 350 grain TTSX in 416 Ruger.
I have several rounds loaded. It will be awhile before I get to chronograph.

This is the Speer Handloading Manual Number 15 data with their 350 grain bullet, 24” test barrel.
ACFE5737-6235-4409-AA23-EDB3D3BCB41E.jpeg

Last edited:
The cartridge interests me, but seems there are no rifles out there for sale and even ammo and brass are difficult, if not impossible to find.

I have a Ruger Guide Gun in .416 Ruger with a 20" barrel. My load for the 400-grain Barnes TSX is 78 grains of Power Pro 2000-MR. I'm slightly over 2300 fps with that load. I do not experience sticky bolt lift or extraction. I also prefer to do load development in the height of Las Vegas summers. If a load is safe and within pressure limits in 110-degree heat, it will be fine at 80-90 degrees when I'm hunting.
Having said the above, 78 grains of 2000-MR gives sticky bolt lift when paired with the 400-grain Swift A-frame so I've dropped it a couple grains.
Brass is available, but you have to look for it. If you are registered on the various shooting supply houses (MidwayUSA, Graf's, Midsouth, etc), click the "Notify When In Stock" option. Hornady has been producing a lot lately. I'll ask them about .416 brass tomorrow at SCI.

I have a set of dies, but no rifle. I note that Ruger currently lists both its Hawkeye Guide Gun and African models in said caliber. But apparently, good luck finding one for sale.

The cartridge interests me, but seems there are no rifles out there for sale and even ammo and brass are difficult, if not impossible to find.
I was looking at a .416 Ruger for some future hunts. I searched high and low for days on the 'net and couldn't find hardly anything in that range of cartridges that was in stock. I did find some med - .375 to the .416 range, but they were in the 8 to 10K range. More than I could justify for a couple of hunts, and settled on the .375 H&H. I had your difficulty in finding ammo, also. And for whatever reason the sudden lack of it, people were price gouging the heck out folks per box.

I already have a 404 Jeff in the pipeline. The other day I was going through my loading gear and discovered I had the 416R dies. I tend to pick dies for less common calibers, particularly the bigger stuff. So, I started looking around to see what Ruger was making, if anything in the 416R. I might be tempted to buy a new one from Ruger when and if such became available. List price seems quite reasonable.

I already have a 404 Jeff in the pipeline. The other day I was going through my loading gear and discovered I had the 416R dies. I tend to pick dies for less common calibers, particularly the bigger stuff. So, I started looking around to see what Ruger was making, if anything in the 416R. I might be tempted to buy a new one from Ruger when and if such became available. List price seems quite reasonable.
Yes, price wise they are very reasonable, but at this time, pretty much impossible to get one., at least around here or anywhere in the U.S. I did find a couple of medium and big bore rifles at a shop in Montana, I think it was, but they were "in store" purchases only. That was my first choice, but I got a very nice Interarms Whitworth Express, that was in so good of shape, it was difficult to tell it had ever been fired, for a really good price. I know it's no Rigby, or Other high end piece with beautiful wood, engraving, etc., but the action is great, no slop, decent sights, Tally QD rings, overall a really nice "utility" piece, that with the composite stock I don't have to cringe at the thought of scratching it, or taking out a second mortgage. ;)

Swift Reloading Manual Number 2, 416 Ruger, 350 grain A-Frame, 24” test barrel.
CA45D7E1-EF27-4593-BDF6-BE13B21894B9.jpeg

Hornady was very non-committal about when we might see more .416 Ruger brass. It's "on the list of things to do".

Thanks for the information update.

I would guess that anything over a .308 cartridge would be small potatoes in the normal marketplace, and particularly today’s.

I recall during non-crazy times, the non-existence of 458 Winchester, 458 Lott, and 416 Remington brass. The manufacturing seasonal runs.

I am using the 2000-MR to work up a load for the 350 grain TTSX in 416 Ruger.
I have several rounds loaded. It will be awhile before I get to chronograph.
Chronograph results from a few weeks ago:
LabRadar
416 Ruger, 20" Alaskan

350 grain TTSX, COAL = 3.350"
2000-MR, 86 grains
5 shot average = 2558 fps

350 grain TSX, COAL = 3.350"
IMR 4320, 73.5 grains
4 shot average = 2368 fps

Chronograph results from a few weeks ago:
LabRadar
416 Ruger, 20" Alaskan

350 grain TTSX, COAL = 3.350"
2000-MR, 86 grains
5 shot average = 2558 fps

350 grain TSX, COAL = 3.350"
IMR 4320, 73.5 grains
4 shot average = 2368 fps
A correction to the above.
The 350 TTSX was a 3 shot average not 5 shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENNNadine8

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you