404 Jeffery Lee Crimp Die - Want To Buy Or Even Rent

That's what I was thinking..... & to answer your question fourfive8 - the .416 Rigby FCD in the pictures with the calipers is mine, however I do not have the lathe/machining available or really care to risk damaging my own die for my first time modification.

However if you have the equipment and the know how, I would be willing to risk it in your qualified hands with no liability to you, should we work out a deal.

Send me a PM if your are interested.
Qualified? I'm not sure since I have never done the 416 Rigby to 404J mod to an FCD. Really no risk per se. But let me think a bit and look at all the specs of cartridges. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Can someone show me what a crimp die looks like? I’ve never crimped anything. I’m gathering parts for a 404 and just got a secondhand 4-die set by CH4D. I’m wondering if one is a crimper.

Yes, they would. Of course the craziness has to die down and the backlog caught up which will be awhile (years?). I've picked up FCD's off their site over the years in .219 Zipper, 25-35 WCF, 6.5x54 MS, & .450 Ackley Magnum

If there’s a group buy I’m in. I’m happy to wait as presently I do not own 404 rifle, do not have one on order and do not need one but... I know myself so...

Has anyone tried a .44 Magnum crimp die? The .404 is actually a .422/.423" bullet and the .44 is a .429" bullet. Add the case thickness, which may be thicker on the .404, and presto!

Just a thought...
Mark

Did anyone find a workable solution? I am getting ready to take delivery of my .404J and want to begin loading practice rounds. Only missing the FCD.

Did anyone find a workable solution? I am getting ready to take delivery of my .404J and want to begin loading practice rounds. Only missing the FCD.
Lee has 404 Lee Factory Crimp Dies in stock, they're $50.

Note the thread is 1-1/4" and 12 TPI, unlike the 7/8" and 14 TPI of their regular crimp dies. If you have something like a Rock Chucker, the big 404 crimp die will fit if you just remove the die bushing from the press.

https://leeprecision.com/factory-crimp-die-404-jeffery-1-1-4-12-thread.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 8.57.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 8.57.30 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 8.57.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 8.57.32 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Lee has 404 Lee Factory Crimp Dies in stock, they're $50.

Note the thread is 1-1/4" and 12 TPI, unlike the 7/8" and 14 TPI of their regular crimp dies. If you have something like a Rock Chucker, the big 404 crimp die will fit if you just remove the die bushing from the press.

https://leeprecision.com/factory-crimp-die-404-jeffery-1-1-4-12-thread.html
Sarg

Noted. I bought the Lee 404J FCD last year after they started taking custom orders again. Works fine in my Rock Chucker Supreme press. Also got one for another member who lives in the UK.

Took my 404 to Tanzania and shot a couple buff and an eland with it.

For those who don't know.. the crimp produced by a typical 3 die set just rolls the end of the case into the cannelure groove on the bullet. (too much downward crimp pressure can collapse the shoulder of a cartridge).. This system works reasonably well and is sufficient for most calibers up to about 300mag or 338mag.. from my experience.

With 375H&H and up calibers, this type of crimp appears to work ok... until rounds are hammered a bit by recoil, and hammered in the mag box.. often a bottom of magazine Bullet will start to be drive into the cartridge.. So regular inspection in the field is always advised. A quick fix is pop the bottom cartridge to top, and get it fed and fired sooner. (Or permanently discarded at hunt camp).
FEED 100% of Dangerous Game rifles is paramount to your (and others) survival in a heated situation, or charge.. so all good PHs keep an eye on this for their own rifles, and clients.

Factory manufactured ammunition is the solution.. and has a factory mechanically squashed in crimp, which is best.
The "Lee Factory Crimp die".. is a fantastic solution for the hand reloader.. as it replicates a quality "Factory" type of crimp. It operates completely different by squashing the case neck into the cannelure... from the sides in.. instead of while pushing down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!