.404 Jeffery build

Nevada Mike

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Update - the rifle is ready for finishing... photos from today.

DSCN5776.JPG
DSCN5777.JPG
DSCN5786.JPG
DSCN5777.JPG

Proneshooter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Argentina, Zimbabwe x 3, South Africa, Wyoming, Montana, North & South Dakota, Texas
Mike,
Cannot wait to see what the wood looks like with some finish on it, going to be a heirloom rifle when done.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Reto Buehler is building a .404J for me and has sent some photos of the work in progress. It is being built on a left handed Granite Mountain magnum Mauser 98 small ring with double square bridges. We chose this action for lightweight and it will be more than adequate for the low pressures generated by the .404J. It will be scoped with a Leupold VX6 1-6X with illuminated #4 illuminated reticle on Reto's QD mounts. I am promised delivery before this summer. For further eye candy, google Buehler Custom Sporting Arms.

Here are a few in-progress photos:

View attachment 390188

View attachment 390189

View attachment 390190
View attachment 390191
The bottom blank is the one I provided

View attachment 390192
@Nevada Mike
Beautiful piece of wood but can't understand the rear tang.
Bob

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia

Nevada Mike

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
@Nevada Mike
Looking good. I can understand the extended bottom metal but I'm having trouble getting my head around the extended top tang. Looks good but to ME it just doesn't sit right with the to action screw that far back but that's just my old fashion view
Bob
Bob - the extended top and bottom tangs were sometimes done - mainly by English makers - to re-inforce one of the most vurnerable araeas on a DG rifle stock - the grip. The rear action screw is still behind the trigger guard and the extended tang is anchored by a wood screw in the comb. If done well it looks classy and adds strength.

Cervus elaphus

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand, returning 2021
Reto Buehler is building a .404J for me and has sent some photos of the work in progress. It is being built on a left handed Granite Mountain magnum Mauser 98 small ring with double square bridges. We chose this action for lightweight and it will be more than adequate for the low pressures generated by the .404J. It will be scoped with a Leupold VX6 1-6X with illuminated #4 illuminated reticle on Reto's QD mounts. I am promised delivery before this summer. For further eye candy, google Buehler Custom Sporting Arms.

Here are a few in-progress photos:

View attachment 390188

View attachment 390189

View attachment 390190
View attachment 390191
The bottom blank is the one I provided

View attachment 390192
With bullets from 257gr to 450gr you will enjoy this rifle.

Bert the Turtle

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Bob - the extended top and bottom tangs were sometimes done - mainly by English makers - to re-inforce one of the most vurnerable araeas on a DG rifle stock - the grip. The rear action screw is still behind the trigger guard and the extended tang is anchored by a wood screw in the comb. If done well it looks classy and adds strength.
Even with the extended tang, if you drop it right (wrong), you can break the stock there. Believe me! May I suggest that you ask Reto to put a rod through the wrist on the inside, under the grip cap. It will make it unbreakable. I know he's done it at least once before...

Nevada Mike

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Even with the extended tang, if you drop it right (wrong), you can break the stock there. Believe me! May I suggest that you ask Reto to put a rod through the wrist on the inside, under the grip cap. It will make it unbreakable. I know he's done it at least once before...
Bert - - Thanks for the idea. I will discuss with Reto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Halina8549

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Eastern Cape Hunting Report Coming soon...
Jaynecobb wrote on cal pappas's profile.
I hate to bother you....I own 2 of your books including British bore rifle. I was hoping you might have more 10 bore loads. For the heavier and later rifles. Any help would be appreciated.
Gert Odendaal wrote on Av8or's profile.
Good day , Do you still have .375 H&H Magnum brass available to sell?
tarbe wrote on PatrickMa Ward's profile.
Aha....I see you have a new Avatar!!

Nice bull!
flatwater bill wrote on KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
I hope your hunting season has started off well. I am coming to Namibia for the 7th time in late April of 2022. I am bringing two friends who have never hunted outside of the USA. I have several questions, but before I write them all, I will wait to see if you receive this. Please give a shout................................best regards.........................Bill...............Idaho, USA