.404 Jeffery build

Update - the rifle is ready for finishing... photos from today.

DSCN5776.JPG
DSCN5777.JPG
DSCN5786.JPG
DSCN5777.JPG

Mike,
Cannot wait to see what the wood looks like with some finish on it, going to be a heirloom rifle when done.

Latest photos from Reto. I plan on picking up the rifle next month on my way back from fishing in Idaho.
DSCN5827.jpg

DSCN5833.jpg

DSCN5831.jpg

DSCN5826.jpg

Reto Buehler is building a .404J for me and has sent some photos of the work in progress. It is being built on a left handed Granite Mountain magnum Mauser 98 small ring with double square bridges. We chose this action for lightweight and it will be more than adequate for the low pressures generated by the .404J. It will be scoped with a Leupold VX6 1-6X with illuminated #4 illuminated reticle on Reto's QD mounts. I am promised delivery before this summer. For further eye candy, google Buehler Custom Sporting Arms.

Here are a few in-progress photos:

View attachment 390188

View attachment 390189

View attachment 390190
View attachment 390191
The bottom blank is the one I provided

View attachment 390192
@Nevada Mike
Beautiful piece of wood but can't understand the rear tang.
Bob

She is a beauty, the wood to metal fit is awesome as well

@Nevada Mike
Looking good. I can understand the extended bottom metal but I'm having trouble getting my head around the extended top tang. Looks good but to ME it just doesn't sit right with the to action screw that far back but that's just my old fashion view
Bob
Bob - the extended top and bottom tangs were sometimes done - mainly by English makers - to re-inforce one of the most vurnerable araeas on a DG rifle stock - the grip. The rear action screw is still behind the trigger guard and the extended tang is anchored by a wood screw in the comb. If done well it looks classy and adds strength.

Reto Buehler is building a .404J for me and has sent some photos of the work in progress. It is being built on a left handed Granite Mountain magnum Mauser 98 small ring with double square bridges. We chose this action for lightweight and it will be more than adequate for the low pressures generated by the .404J. It will be scoped with a Leupold VX6 1-6X with illuminated #4 illuminated reticle on Reto's QD mounts. I am promised delivery before this summer. For further eye candy, google Buehler Custom Sporting Arms.

Here are a few in-progress photos:

View attachment 390188

View attachment 390189

View attachment 390190
View attachment 390191
The bottom blank is the one I provided

View attachment 390192
With bullets from 257gr to 450gr you will enjoy this rifle.

Bob - the extended top and bottom tangs were sometimes done - mainly by English makers - to re-inforce one of the most vurnerable araeas on a DG rifle stock - the grip. The rear action screw is still behind the trigger guard and the extended tang is anchored by a wood screw in the comb. If done well it looks classy and adds strength.
Even with the extended tang, if you drop it right (wrong), you can break the stock there. Believe me! May I suggest that you ask Reto to put a rod through the wrist on the inside, under the grip cap. It will make it unbreakable. I know he's done it at least once before...

Even with the extended tang, if you drop it right (wrong), you can break the stock there. Believe me! May I suggest that you ask Reto to put a rod through the wrist on the inside, under the grip cap. It will make it unbreakable. I know he's done it at least once before...
Bert - - Thanks for the idea. I will discuss with Reto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyOKe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg