.404 Jeffery build

Congratulations! That is a stunning rifle!

Nevada Mike, if possible I'd like to get some more info on that rear aperture sight. I don't think I've ever seen one that folded down / out of the way when not in use.
Shootist43

I know that Reto had this apeture sight and it's from an old Jeffery rifle. I liked it better than the Rigby type that John McLaughlin makes, but only because it folds down. Beyond that, I have no more information.

Nevada Mike, maybe you should contact John McLaughlin and show him a picture of your sight. Providing he's willing, he might be able to reverse engineer it and offer it for sale as well. Personally I think your version is the "cat's meow."

Darn... I was in Reto's shop just a few days ago. I handled several guns but not this one! I assumed he had already shipped yours out!

Congrats on a beautiful rifle.

Mike,
Stunning rifle, glad to see it done and in your hands, I think it will make your upcoming trip that much more enjoyable. Remember if you need more practice bullet, you only need let me know and they will be on the way.

Nevada Mike, maybe you should contact John McLaughlin and show him a picture of your sight. Providing he's willing, he might be able to reverse engineer it and offer it for sale as well. Personally I think your version is the "cat's meow."

Good idea. John has done a fair amount of work for me and is top notch. Next time I talk with him I'll mention this and see if he is interested.

Thanks for getting back to me!! If he is, please let me know. I'm sure everyone will agree, that is a most un usual rear sight. Very similar to a tang sight, but further forward on the bolt.

Just rec'd the rifle today... flawless fit and finish. Exceeds expectations. I'll post some more photos soon.

Mike I am going to have to come down and take you to lunch so I can see your beautiful rifle in person.

Mike I am going to have to come down and take you to lunch so I can see your beautiful rifle in person.

Can we make it 3 some? err....
Dave - - would be delighted to have lunch with you and the 'third' person. I need to show off this rifle to somebody... give me a call.

Mike

Von Gruff, what did you think of the folding receiver sight? Had you seen one previously?

Von Gruff, what did you think of the folding receiver sight? Had you seen one previously?
Yes a friend has a couple on his rifles and he likes them primarily as they were more cost effective to find here than the Rigby style.
The Rigby style is able to wind up and down to be under a scope where the folding type adds another dimension that allows for either use. I have heard that some dislike the folding type as it has been known where the folded down sight has caused eye injury. In use there is nothing between them but for me the Rigby style is a better option even at an increased cost.

I have decided I like the Jeffery folding aperture sight. When lowered it is below othe nose of the comb and out of harm's way. It has a lever that locks it in position so up or down it will not move. My rifle has a barrel mounted express sight with three leaves - all foldable. That means that I have a very clear sight picture using the aperture sight or I can choose to use the express sights. This rifle fits so well that the aperture sight feels completely natural and is instantly available on mounting the rifle. It is a great aid to off-hand shooting.

Stunning rifle, congrats!

The rear aperture sight actually came from a old Jeffery rifle. Kinda cool and better for my eyes!

There was some discussion about the folding aperture sight on this rifle...

I spoke with Reto this AM and he told me that, although it came from an old original Jeffery rifle, the peep was a older Lyman product. I do not know the model number but could possibly find out if anyone is interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!