.404 Jeffery build

Update - the rifle is ready for finishing... photos from today.

DSCN5776.JPG
DSCN5777.JPG
DSCN5786.JPG
DSCN5777.JPG
 
Mike,
Cannot wait to see what the wood looks like with some finish on it, going to be a heirloom rifle when done.
 
Latest photos from Reto. I plan on picking up the rifle next month on my way back from fishing in Idaho.
DSCN5827.jpg


DSCN5833.jpg


DSCN5831.jpg


DSCN5826.jpg
 
Reto Buehler is building a .404J for me and has sent some photos of the work in progress. It is being built on a left handed Granite Mountain magnum Mauser 98 small ring with double square bridges. We chose this action for lightweight and it will be more than adequate for the low pressures generated by the .404J. It will be scoped with a Leupold VX6 1-6X with illuminated #4 illuminated reticle on Reto's QD mounts. I am promised delivery before this summer. For further eye candy, google Buehler Custom Sporting Arms.

Here are a few in-progress photos:

View attachment 390188

View attachment 390189

View attachment 390190
View attachment 390191
The bottom blank is the one I provided

View attachment 390192
@Nevada Mike
Beautiful piece of wood but can't understand the rear tang.
Bob
 
She is a beauty, the wood to metal fit is awesome as well
 
@Nevada Mike
Looking good. I can understand the extended bottom metal but I'm having trouble getting my head around the extended top tang. Looks good but to ME it just doesn't sit right with the to action screw that far back but that's just my old fashion view
Bob
Bob - the extended top and bottom tangs were sometimes done - mainly by English makers - to re-inforce one of the most vurnerable araeas on a DG rifle stock - the grip. The rear action screw is still behind the trigger guard and the extended tang is anchored by a wood screw in the comb. If done well it looks classy and adds strength.
 
Reto Buehler is building a .404J for me and has sent some photos of the work in progress. It is being built on a left handed Granite Mountain magnum Mauser 98 small ring with double square bridges. We chose this action for lightweight and it will be more than adequate for the low pressures generated by the .404J. It will be scoped with a Leupold VX6 1-6X with illuminated #4 illuminated reticle on Reto's QD mounts. I am promised delivery before this summer. For further eye candy, google Buehler Custom Sporting Arms.

Here are a few in-progress photos:

View attachment 390188

View attachment 390189

View attachment 390190
View attachment 390191
The bottom blank is the one I provided

View attachment 390192
With bullets from 257gr to 450gr you will enjoy this rifle.
 
Bob - the extended top and bottom tangs were sometimes done - mainly by English makers - to re-inforce one of the most vurnerable araeas on a DG rifle stock - the grip. The rear action screw is still behind the trigger guard and the extended tang is anchored by a wood screw in the comb. If done well it looks classy and adds strength.
Even with the extended tang, if you drop it right (wrong), you can break the stock there. Believe me! May I suggest that you ask Reto to put a rod through the wrist on the inside, under the grip cap. It will make it unbreakable. I know he's done it at least once before...
 
Even with the extended tang, if you drop it right (wrong), you can break the stock there. Believe me! May I suggest that you ask Reto to put a rod through the wrist on the inside, under the grip cap. It will make it unbreakable. I know he's done it at least once before...
Bert - - Thanks for the idea. I will discuss with Reto.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,360
Members
169,538
Latest member
AntjeI3318
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top