375 H&H Magnum bullets and sight in distance?

Meat78

Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunted
Canada
I just purchased a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H Magnum it is a beautiful rifle and is a pleasure to shoot so far. My question is what is the best all around bullet weight to use and sight in with, I will be using it for moose, elk and black bear here in Alberta and am planning a trip to South Africa or Namibia in 2015. For the foreseeable future I will not be using it for dangerous game. I am thinking of going with 300 grain bullets but there seems to be lots of 270 grain bullets on the market. Generally shots are between 75-250 yards, also as I have no experience with this caliber what is the best range to zero it for?

I'm going to suggest a 200 yd zero, you will be 2 inches high at 100 and 10.3 inches low at 300 with a 300 grain bullet or 7.5 low at 300 with a 235 grain or 250 grain bullet.
If you are not going to hunt dangerous game, why not go to a 235 or 250 grain bullet.

I agree 200 yd zero and I shoot both 300gr for dangerous and 270gr for anything else, I just like the 270gr and my gun likes it and it shoots flat and hits hard and I use Barnes TSX in both!

I sight my 375 H&H in like I do my other rifles, 2.5" high at 100 yards. The above advice is great too. I shoot the 300g Swift A-Frames and am really happy with them.

I use the 250 grain TTSX in my 375 Ruger and it is very accurate and flat shooting and will work very well for what you intend to use your 375 H&H for.
I zero mine at 200 meters.

Meat78,

I have the same rifle and have played with quite a few bullets. In the 300gr class, nothing shoots as well the Swift A-Frames with 78gr of IMR4350 behind them. That load has chrono'd around 2560fps or so. I have on multiple occasions repeated one ragged hole groups, it's just a proven load provided to me by some good fellow here on AH. If you reload and try this out, just please be careful to work up slowly to this load. It's above the max load listed in Swift's manual.

For my upcoming PG hunt in which Eland is on the menu, I wanted to go with a lighter bullet and take advantage of the speed. I started out trying the various offerings in 270gr. The TSX and North Fork bullets both provided good groups, but the most accurate loads were only pushing around 2620fps, not much of a velocity gain in my mind.

I then tried out the 250gr TTSX and North Fork bullets. Both of these get along well with my M70. However, in my rifle the TTSX must have a very clean barrell. Any appreciable copper fouling and the group opens up quite a bit. Furthermore again in my rifle, the TTSX will leave a lot of copper behind. Thus, I only have a fairly limited number of shots with those bullets before the groups open up. If you decide to give this round a try, please keep this in mind. I'm sure this bullet will perform well on the game you're after and where you may not be shooting a lot of bullets between cleaning, it would be a good choice. Also, I would start at the minimum powder weights that Barnes lists for the 235gr version. There isn't any load info in the manual I have. I did some linear interpolation to come up with what I thougth would be safe starting loads. Those starting loads were beyond what I should have loaded to. I was getting pressure signs immediately, so please be careful. Speeds in the 2800fps plus range were easily attainable with accuracy.

The North Fork bullet will be the round I take to RSA in just a month and a half from now! With H4895, I get very nice groups and around 2830fps. If you do a search here on AH, you'll see my results. I am actually at work right now and need to get going otherwise I'd look it up for you.

I am in love with the .375 H&H. And so with my Win 70 Safari Express .375 H&H !!!!:first:

Manufactured cartridges : all round but for Buffalo ... that another hunt .... (Buffalo, hippo etc ..) I think Solid must also be used ... also ..:sweat:

Winchester Nosler Partition : 300gr Zero range 170yds
Hornady Superperformance 270gr Zero range 200 yds

Here in France, we have a "french cartridge maker" Sologne GPA... fabulous and Sauvestre bullet with an internal steel arrow! But I'm not sure you can find them everywhere
http://www.cartouches-sologne.fr/upload_catalogue/catalogue.pdf
Cartouches sologne GPA

Balles Fléµhe SAUVESTRE pour fusil et carabine
Balles Fléµhe SAUVESTRE pour fusil et carabine

For entertainment : PRVI 300gr (their bullet are not good, but this ammo is cheap!)

Buffalo : same + "Solid" !!! Norma, Barnes ? maybe Winchester Nosler

I would use the 270gr North Fork SS zeroed at 200 yds & use it on anything & everything that is on your hunting agenda. Trust me, you will love this bullet.
My second choice is 270gr A-Frame. The A-Frame is not inferior at all, but the North Forks are extremely good, always open & never fail.

In my Rem 700 Safari KS with 22''' - barrel I use the 260 gr AccuBond and VV N 140. 5 recovered bullets from eland, waterbuck, blue wildebeest, gemsbok and warthog:

14631358mb.jpg

14631359ed.jpg

between 65% and 80% of 260 gr.

Mannlicher

Attachments

• 14631358mb.jpg
    14631358mb.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 406
  • 14631359ed.jpg
    14631359ed.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 297
Having just logged 11 plains trophies in SA with one, My money is on 260 Nosler Partitions (75/N150 at 2800fps in this case) all the way. With a 3" high sighting at 100 your point-blank on an elk, wildebeest or eland is 300 (-6") 275 on springbok or impala (-3"). Subtract about 25 yards with a 2" @ 100 sighting (+2").

Don't expect to recover many. They do lots of damage and give complete penetration broadside on animals up to about 1500 lbs., which is nice when following blood trails, you get a two-fer (one from each side of the beast). the previous post with the recovered Accubonds highlight the differences.

I use 300gn Woodleigh soft points loaded to maximum in my .375 Weatherby magnum with a Leupold red dot scope zeroed at 100m (actually just slightly above the point of aim) and can hit targets out to around 200m. Of course where I hunt most of my shots are in fairly close scrub but it's an absolute sledgehammer on smaller game at close range, and really anchors hogs of all sizes on the spot no matter how big they are!

I just purchased a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H Magnum it is a beautiful rifle and is a pleasure to shoot so far. My question is what is the best all around bullet weight to use and sight in with, I will be using it for moose, elk and black bear here in Alberta and am planning a trip to South Africa or Namibia in 2015. For the foreseeable future I will not be using it for dangerous game. I am thinking of going with 300 grain bullets but there seems to be lots of 270 grain bullets on the market. Generally shots are between 75-250 yards, also as I have no experience with this caliber what is the best range to zero it for?
I have 375 H&H’s and 375 Rugers. I think it matters not which brass the same bullet comes out. That being said, I load 270 TSX for my Ruger that I normally use for moose.
I have not chronographed my load, but guessing I am getting around 2650-2700 FPS out of my 20” barrel. About 225 yds would be my maximum visibility for a shot.

I sight in 2” high at 100 yds / meters, depending on which range is not crowded. The same sight-in that I use for most all my rifles.
The farthest distance that I have shot a moose with this rifle and load was 179-181 yards, depending on where I ranged the tree that he died by. This load has killed a few other moose closer. I have been very pleased with it.

I do want to try the 270 grain LRX bullet.
I have a few boxes of the 250 grain TTSX, that I acquired during the component shortage, prior to the present ongoing one. But, cannot talk myself into using less than 270 grains in .375’s.
I think any well constructed 250-300 grain bullet would be fine for use in North America. Particularly at the distances you mentioned.

I have 375 H&H’s and 375 Rugers. I think it matters not which brass the same bullet comes out. That being said, I load 270 TSX for my Ruger that I normally use for moose.
I have not chronographed my load, but guessing I am getting around 2650-2700 FPS out of my 20” barrel. About 225 yds would be my maximum visibility for a shot.

I sight in 2” high at 100 yds / meters, depending on which range is not crowded. The same sight-in that I use for most all my rifles.
The farthest distance that I have shot a moose with this rifle and load was 179-181 yards, depending on where I ranged the tree that he died by. This load has killed a few other moose closer. I have been very pleased with it.

I do want to try the 270 grain LRX bullet.
I have a few boxes of the 250 grain TTSX, that I acquired during the component shortage, prior to the present ongoing one. But, cannot talk myself into using less than 270 grains in .375’s.
I think any well constructed 250-300 grain bullet would be fine for use in North America. Particularly at the distances you mentioned.
Swift A Frame with 77 grains of 4350.
100 yards after snowshoeing to the back stop. 5 rounds.
Mdl 70 of course. The trigger sucks, one of those not user adjustable new ones, but I have a new Timney on the way.
you can see I pushed the 5th shot

1618075492658.jpeg

I was too cold to play anymore. Will try again when the new trigger comes in

Lol on the Cold — I concur!!
I have installed some Timney pre-set at 3 lbs on the newer M70’s. I liked much better than the factory, though wish their trigger shoe was not as flat.
Good shooting btw. The 300 grain Swifts seemed to always group well in any 375 H&H that I shot them in.

I sight all my rifles in 2 1/2" high at 100 yards. That includes a 270 Win, 375 Weatherby and 500 Jeffery. That' puts them all close to dead on at 25 yards and depending on the caliber they are dead on at 275 yards, 225 yards and 175 yards. Works for close up work as well as further out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg